Mennonite Central Committe makes important statement

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The Mennonite Central Committee, referring to its wartime involvement with Nazism, says the MCC’s humanitarian work before and during the Second World War did not always reflect its core values.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/06/2022 (1533 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Mennonite Central Committee, referring to its wartime involvement with Nazism, says the MCC’s humanitarian work before and during the Second World War did not always reflect its core values.

The statement by Rick Cober Bauman, the executive director of MCC Canada, and Anne Graber Hershberger, the executive director of MCC U.S., was released Monday. The organization said it “grieves and repents of the harm caused by MCC’s actions and inactions during this period.”

It went on to say that the MCC is committed to do a “better telling” of the story of the MCC during that historic period and will be taking “reparative steps over the coming months and years.”

This includes not glossing over how the MCC worked with pro-Nazi Mennonites in carrying out humanitarian efforts in the 1930s and 1940s, and how some MCC workers in wartime France were slow to take action to protect Jews under threat from pro-Nazi forces.

The statement was released as a follow-up to research conducted by scholars across North America about MCC’s entanglement with Nazism in the 1930s and ’40s. The findings of that research were presented in a journal published last year and at a conference at the University of Winnipeg this fall.

As part of its broader anti-racist commitment, the MCC said it will continue to provide financial support for ongoing historical research into its involvement with Nazism, review and update how it portrays its post-Second World War refugee resettlement efforts and renew its determination to act against antisemitism.

Bauman said the organization also solicited feedback from supporters.

The majority of the feedback was positive, he said, but there were some who felt the MCC should leave the past alone. That sentiment was mostly expressed by some Mennonites who traced their roots back to the flight from Ukraine after the Second World War. Some, he said, felt their family’s history had been “sullied” by the research.

When it comes to telling the story of the MCC during that period, the organization wants to “both understand and tell a more nuanced and fulsome story” about its actions, Cober Bauman said.

Past narratives tended to paint the MCC as heroic and Mennonites as victims, he said.

“We don’t want to take away from the fact there was huge suffering,” Cober Bauman said, adding it was appropriate for the MCC to “come alongside people who needed help and a new start.”

But, he said, “We want to be transparent about the degree to which MCC had become entangled with National Socialism.”

Training about antisemitism for MCC staff members will take into account how it has “seeped into all parts of the Christian community, including MCC,” Cober Bauman said, adding the organization intends to “work hard against it.”

Belle Jarniewski, executive director of the Jewish Heritage Centre of Western Canada, said the MCC is to be commended for the statement.

“This is a positive and important step forward on the part of MCC,” she said.

But, she said, “as important as it is for MCC to recognize its history of antisemitism during and after the Holocaust, I would like to see MCC address contemporary antisemitism by adopting the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance definition of antisemitism.”

Dan Stone, a professor emeritus at the University of Winnipeg, said the “MCC has taken an important and courageous step in confronting its own failure to follow its core values and identified positive actions to be taken.”

He said he would like to see the organization “examine the reasons for its past failure and look to see if these reasons persist up to the present day.”

faith@freepress.mb.ca

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

John Longhurst

John Longhurst
Faith columnist & reporter

John Longhurst has been writing for Winnipeg's faith pages since 2003. He also writes for Religion News Service in the U.S., and blogs about the media, marketing and communications at Making the News.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read 9:17 PM CDT

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
9:17 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read 6:07 PM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
6:07 PM CDT

Mennonite Central Committe makes important statement

John Longhurst 4 minute read Friday, Jun. 10, 2022

The Mennonite Central Committee, referring to its wartime involvement with Nazism, says the MCC’s humanitarian work before and during the Second World War did not always reflect its core values.

The statement by Rick Cober Bauman, the executive director of MCC Canada, and Anne Graber Hershberger, the executive director of MCC U.S., was released Monday. The organization said it “grieves and repents of the harm caused by MCC’s actions and inactions during this period.”

It went on to say that the MCC is committed to do a “better telling” of the story of the MCC during that historic period and will be taking “reparative steps over the coming months and years.”

This includes not glossing over how the MCC worked with pro-Nazi Mennonites in carrying out humanitarian efforts in the 1930s and 1940s, and how some MCC workers in wartime France were slow to take action to protect Jews under threat from pro-Nazi forces.

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.