Conservatives refuse to participate in national climate debate

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - A national debate on climate change that had been planned for next week has been cancelled because the Conservatives refused to participate.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/10/2019 (2503 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – A national debate on climate change that had been planned for next week has been cancelled because the Conservatives refused to participate.

The University of Ottawa’s Smart Prosperity Institute was set to host the debate Oct. 16 in conjunction with Climate Action Network Canada.

Invitations were sent out Sept. 9 asking the Liberals, NDP, Greens and Conservatives to send any of their nominated candidates from across the country.

Conservative leader Andrew Scheer takes part in the the Federal leaders French language debate in Gatineau, Que. on Thursday, October 10, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Conservative leader Andrew Scheer takes part in the the Federal leaders French language debate in Gatineau, Que. on Thursday, October 10, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

The first three signed up immediately.

The Conservatives initially signalled an intention to participate but on Wednesday told the organizers they couldn’t find anyone.

“It’s incredibly disappointing,” said Catherine Abreu, executive director of the Climate Action Network Canada.

In August, 48,000 Canadians signed a petition trying to convince the CBC to host a national climate debate with the party leaders. The CBC, which is part of the media group hosting the two official English and French language national leaders’ debate, declined.

Abreu said in an election that has been so much about mudslinging and so little about issues, climate action is one of the few things getting any attention.

Conservative party spokesman Simon Jefferies said the date of the debate was moved around.

The debate was initially to be on Oct. 15 but it was switched earlier this week to Oct. 16 at the request of the Liberals.

The debate was to happen in Ottawa but the Liberals chose not to send Ottawa MP Catherine McKenna, who is the Liberal environment minister. Instead they were putting up Montreal candidate Steven Guilbeault, who is a founding member of Equiterre, one of the largest environment advocacy groups in Quebec. Guilbeault was also director of Greenpeace Quebec for a decade.

A day after the Liberals confirmed Guilbeault’s attendance, the Conservatives pulled out.

“Conservative candidates have been participating in plenty of debates across the country, including a number focused solely on environmental issues,” Jefferies said in a written statement.

The group GreenPac organized more than 100 environment debates in local ridings. According to GreenPac data, Conservative candidates attended 39 per cent of those debates, compared with 96 per cent for the Liberals, 79 per cent for the NDP, 96 per cent for the Greens and 43 per cent for the People’s Party of Canada. The Bloc Quebecois attended all 20 of the debates in Quebec ridings.

The Conservatives have criticized Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau for declining to attend two of the five national leaders’ debates organized this campaign. He would not participate in a debate on Sept. 12 that went ahead without him, and also declined to participate in a foreign-policy debate organized by the Munk Debates in Toronto. It was cancelled without Trudeau’s attendance.

“Let’s not forget that Justin Trudeau bailed on two leaders’ debates because he didn’t want to defend his record of scandal and failure to a national audience,” Jefferies said.

The organizers of the climate debate also decided it was not good to go through with theirs if one of the main parties that could win the election wasn’t represented.

Guilbeault said the Conservatives clearly don’t have the will to defend their climate policy if they can’t find a single one of their 338 candidates to make it on Oct. 16.

“In our nation’s capital, that they can’t find someone who is willing to show up to debate about the environment speaks volumes that they simply don’t care about this issue. They could have found someone if they really wanted to.”

Climate change is listed in most polls as one of the top issues for voters in this election. Abreu said there are some distinctions among the parties’ climate platforms that aren’t entirely clear to voters yet and a national debate that would have been televised on CPAC could have helped voters understand those differences.

This report by the Canadian Press was first published on Oct. 10, 2019.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Man charged, suspect sought in commercial break-in spree

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Man charged, suspect sought in commercial break-in spree

Free Press staff 2 minute read 11:11 AM CDT

Winnipeg police have charged one suspect and are seeking a second in connection with a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and property crimes.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28.

Police said both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Justin Andrew Hanson, 35, was arrested Aug. 4 after he allegedly fled an attempted traffic stop at high speed in the 100 block of Clonard Avenue in St. Vital, and abandoned the vehicle he was driving.

Read
11:11 AM CDT

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read 1:06 PM CDT

A Manitoba First Nations police officer will not face charges for fatally shooting a dog last year, despite the Crown describing the officer’s conduct as “concerning.”

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba announced it would not recommend charges Monday, more than a year after the incident was reported to the police watchdog.

A Manitoba First Nations Police Service officer went to a home in Swan River First Nation to make an arrest in June 2025, the IIU said. No arrest was made as the person police were looking for was not there. As the officer was leaving, a dog chained outside bit him.

The officer later returned with a carbine rifle and shot and killed the dog.

Read
1:06 PM CDT

Cross-border abduction under investigation

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

A 31-year-old Manitoba man abducted a 37-year-old Manitoba man in Winnipeg and drove across the border into North Dakota, the North Dakota State Highway Patrol said in a Facebook post Sunday. The state patrol said it became aware of the possible abduction Sunday morning and worked with local, federal and Canadian law enforcement to investigate.

Authorities identified a suspect vehicle using cameras at multiple locations and used cell-phone location information and licence-plate reader technology to find the vehicle in Alexandria, Minnesota.

"The victim was able to break free from the suspect and run into a nearby store. The suspect was taken into custody shortly afterward by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Alexandria Police Department. The victim was recovered safely," the North Dakota state patrol's post reads.

Conservatives bail on national climate debate

Mia Rabson, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Preview

Conservatives bail on national climate debate

Mia Rabson, The Canadian Press 4 minute read Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019

OTTAWA - A national debate on climate change that had been planned for next week has been cancelled because the Conservatives refused to participate.

The University of Ottawa's Smart Prosperity Institute was set to host the debate Oct. 16 in conjunction with Climate Action Network Canada.

Invitations were sent out Sept. 9 asking the Liberals, NDP, Greens and Conservatives to send any of their nominated candidates from across the country.

The first three signed up immediately.

Read
Thursday, Oct. 10, 2019

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 2:46 PM CDT

After 12 hours of wind, waves and a painful shoulder, Jonathon Fenton has finished what he started, making it across Lake Winnipeg.

The 62-year-old two-time cancer survivor completed the roughly 26-kilometre swim Sunday, a year after shoulder problems forced him to stop 16 kilometres into his first attempt.

The swim was the second year of Fenton’s Jonny’s Big Swim fundraiser, which supports the Alberta Cancer Foundation, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and Health Sciences Centre Foundation.

He raised roughly $48,000 this year, bringing the two-year total to about $90,000.

Read
Updated: 2:46 PM CDT