Capital Power pulls plug on proposed $2.4B carbon capture and storage project

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Edmonton-based Capital Power Corp. says it is no longer pursuing its proposed $2.4-billion carbon capture and storage project at its Genesee natural gas-fired power plant.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/05/2024 (843 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Edmonton-based Capital Power Corp. says it is no longer pursuing its proposed $2.4-billion carbon capture and storage project at its Genesee natural gas-fired power plant.

The company says it has decided the project is technically viable but not economically feasible.

Capital Power says it may explore carbon capture and storage again in the future as economics improve.

Edmonton-based Capital Power Corp. says it is no longer pursuing a proposed $2.4-billion carbon capture and storage project at its Genesee natural gas-fired power plant. Capital Power’s Genesee Power Plant is seen near Edmonton in an Oct. 19, 2022, handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Capital Power, Jimmy Jeong, *MANDATORY CREDIT*
Edmonton-based Capital Power Corp. says it is no longer pursuing a proposed $2.4-billion carbon capture and storage project at its Genesee natural gas-fired power plant. Capital Power’s Genesee Power Plant is seen near Edmonton in an Oct. 19, 2022, handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Capital Power, Jimmy Jeong, *MANDATORY CREDIT*

The company has set the goal of achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2045.

Alberta’s electricity grid is heavily dependent on natural gas, and many analysts believe that offsetting those emissions will require a mix of wind and solar, hydrogen, nuclear power in the form of small modular reactors, and carbon capture and storage in the future.

In January, Capital Power said it will partner with Ontario Power Generation to assess the feasibility of developing small modular nuclear reactors to help power Alberta’s electricity grid.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 1, 2024.

Companies in this story: (TSX:CPX)

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Demonstrators rallied at the Manitoba legislature Friday, calling the abuse and death of children in care a “state of emergency.”

“These things continue to happen,” said Donna Dumas, a former foster parent of a child with special needs.

She pointed to the Aug. 9 death of a four-year-old girl in care on Long Plain First Nation. Two of the girl’s sisters, aged one and two, were hospitalized with injuries. The children’s mother, who was at Friday’s rally, previously told the Free Press she was working to get her kids back in her care after they were apprehended in October 2025.

Family reunification advocate Cheryl Wozniak said the NDP government was expected to help return children to their families.

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:19 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Speculating steals show at Yearling Sale

George Williams 5 minute read Preview

Speculating steals show at Yearling Sale

George Williams 5 minute read Yesterday at 11:16 PM CDT

Nonios sired the sales topper at the annual Manitoba CTHS Yearling Sale on Thursday at Assiniboia Downs, but it was Speculating who stole the show.

A total of 45 yearlings went through the sales ring this year compared to 40 last year, and 26 were sold for an average price of $9,292.31 and total receipts of $241,600. Last year 21 yearlings were sold for an average of $10,407 and total receipts of $218,550. Twelve yearlings failed to reach their reserve price this year and seven were buybacks.

The sales topper was Hip #32, a half-sister to local champion Mighty Mikee, by Nonios out of the mare Piccadilly Line, who was consigned by breeder Larry Falloon and purchased by Anne Champion for $24,000. The next two highest prices went to sons and daughters of Speculating.

Hip #18, a gelding out of multiple champion mare Hidden Grace was purchased by Cam Ziprick for $21,000, and Hip #47, a full sister to Circle the Bird, was purchased for $20,500 by the owners of that recent stakes winner, Scott MacKenzie and Madison Leonard. Next in line was Hip #7, a colt by Following Sea out of a half-sister to Marine Stakes (G3) winner Brachetto, consigned by Dr. Ross and Brend McKague and Sharra Sage, and purchased by Don Danard for $20,000.

Read
Yesterday at 11:16 PM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT