‘A first step’: Crowsnest Pass mayor excited about Northback drilling approval

Advertisement

Advertise with us

CALGARY - The mayor of Crowsnest Pass in southwestern Alberta says the Alberta Energy Regulator's approval of a controversial coal exploration project on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains is long overdue. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/05/2025 (459 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

CALGARY – The mayor of Crowsnest Pass in southwestern Alberta says the Alberta Energy Regulator’s approval of a controversial coal exploration project on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains is long overdue. 

“I think they finally woke up. I think they finally came to a conclusion that should have happened much, much, much earlier,” Mayor Blair Painter said Friday. 

“It’s a first step. I’m going to be thrilled if it gets to the point … that they get the application to start mining.” 

Grassy Mountain, peak to left, and the Grassy Mountain Coal Project are seen north of Blairmore, Alta., Thursday, June 6, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Grassy Mountain, peak to left, and the Grassy Mountain Coal Project are seen north of Blairmore, Alta., Thursday, June 6, 2024. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Australian-owned Northback Holdings Corp.’s project at Grassy Mountain was rejected in 2021, when a panel ruled likely environmental effects on fish and water quality outweighed potential economic benefits. 

The project, located on an inactive legacy coal mine site in the Municipal District of Ranchland, was later revived. 

Last year, it was exempted from the Alberta government’s decision to ban open-pit coal mines. Northback’s application was considered an “advanced” proposal. 

A written decision from the regulator on Thursday says it determined approving the project is in the public interest and the project won’t have negative effects on water quality or wildlife. 

The decision grants Northback permits to drill and divert water to the site. 

Residents of Crowsnest Pass, which saw its last coal mine close four decades ago, voted in a referendum in November. About 72 per cent supported the development of a coal mine at Grassy Mountain. 

“The project would be fantastic for our community. They’re going to employ 300-plus people. Not all will live in our community, but we’re going to get our fair share,” said Painter. 

“It will strengthen our schools, our hospital, the business community. There’s just so many pluses.” 

The regulator’s decision says the company will only be able to draw water from a nearby end pit lake that it owns, and that’s not directly connected to other water bodies or rivers. 

It says it’s possible there will be runoff from the lake but there wouldn’t be any effect on water quality or quantity downstream. 

David Thomas, a communications coordinator with Crowsnest Headwaters, a group that led the “no” campaign, wasn’t surprised at the AER decision.

“It’s exactly what we expected,” said Thomas.

“There’s nothing more we can do. As long as we loyally and honestly participate in the process, we implicitly respect the results.”

Thomas said the company should abandon the project if it doesn’t find sufficient coal or if there is a change in government before the project goes ahead.

An official with the Environmental Defence advocacy group said the project is in the interest of billionaires and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, not the public. 

Stephen Legault said the decision demonstrates “a reckless disregard for the health of southern Alberta’s water.” 

He said renewed mining would lead to irreversible water pollution and water withdrawals from the Crowsnest River system, impacting farmers, ranchers, anglers and downstream communities, including Lethbridge. 

“If the premier had the best interests of Albertans in mind, she wouldn’t allow a coal mine to be built where southern Albertans get their water from,” Legault said 

“Instead, Alberta would invest in the region’s long-term economic prosperity, protect the province’s headwaters, and stand up to foreign bullies who only want to destroy our headwaters in the name of profit and privilege.” 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 16, 2025. 

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Preview

Hayden Panettiere, who starred in ‘Heroes’ and ‘Nashville,’ dies at 36

Hannah Schoenbaum, The Associated Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Hayden Panettiere, a onetime child star who soared to fame in the TV shows “Heroes” and “Nashville” while enduring struggles with alcohol addiction and depression, has died. She was 36.

Police said Panettiere was found unresponsive in an apartment in Greenville, South Carolina, shortly before 2 p.m. Sunday. Lifesaving measures were performed but she was pronounced dead at the scene.

No cause of death has been determined and Panettiere's death remains under investigation. An autopsy found no signs of trauma and police said officers saw no signs of foul play.

The television and film performer, who would have turned 37 on Friday, had been open about her private battles and wrote at length about them in the memoir, “This Is Me,” which came out in May. She described lifelong scars from her early fame, and acknowledged being addicted to alcohol and enduring postpartum depression after the birth of her daughter, Kaya, with Ukrainian boxer Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 12:26 PM CDT

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 2:46 PM CDT

After 12 hours of wind, waves and a painful shoulder, Jonathon Fenton has finished what he started, making it across Lake Winnipeg.

The 62-year-old two-time cancer survivor completed the roughly 26-kilometre swim Sunday, a year after shoulder problems forced him to stop 16 kilometres into his first attempt.

The swim was the second year of Fenton’s Jonny’s Big Swim fundraiser, which supports the Alberta Cancer Foundation, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and Health Sciences Centre Foundation.

He raised roughly $48,000 this year, bringing the two-year total to about $90,000.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 2:46 PM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:28 PM CDT

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

Officer who shot dog dead after it bit him won’t face charges

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

A Manitoba First Nations police officer will not face charges for fatally shooting a dog last year, despite the Crown describing the officer’s conduct as “concerning.”

The Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba announced it would not recommend charges Monday, more than a year after the incident was reported to the police watchdog.

A Manitoba First Nations Police Service officer went to a home in Swan Lake First Nation to make an arrest in June 2025, the IIU said. No arrest was made as the person police were looking for was not there. As the officer was leaving, a dog chained outside bit him.

The officer later returned with a carbine rifle and shot and killed the dog.

Read
Yesterday at 1:06 PM CDT

Improving building standards

Jean Clipsham 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

As I was working in my garden today, I was thinking that, while I still enjoy it, I am starting to wonder how much longer I will be able to care for a house and a yard. Like many my age, I have been thinking about the condominium option here in Winnipeg.

I am a mother and a grandmother and I am also very concerned about climate change and the need to recognize that our emissions from coal, oil, and gas are warming the Earth. As a climate activist, I do not want to pollute. Yet as a condo purchaser, I would have no control over how the building is insulated, heated and cooled or how much energy it would take to do so.

When I moved to Winnipeg four years ago, I intended to buy a house and install a heat pump, which heats and cools a home using electricity only.

Before that purchase, I phoned Manitoba Hydro and was advised to buy a home built after 1985, when national standards were upgraded to require better insulation. That was no trouble for me, given I had already moved from a 1960s house into a new house in 1989 and even though the new home was larger, our gas bill was cut in half because of the added insulation.

Kinew pledges temporary ER in Dauphin by Labour Day

Free Press staff 2 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Dauphin’s 8,400 residents, ravaged by floodwaters from unprecedented rainfall in June that has left the city without its hospital for the entire summer, will have a temporary but functioning ER shortly, Premier Wab Kinew promised Monday.

“We’ve heard you loud and clear Dauphin,” Kinew said in a post on X on Monday. “You need these services close to home, you’ll have an emergency department working by Labour Day.”

Dauphin Mayor David Bosiak was elated after hearing the news. “We’re tickled in town,” Bosiak said, adding he has faith the premier will deliver.

Kinew is expected to provide further details Tuesday.