LEADING OFF: Burnes returns, Mariners bring up big prospects

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A look at what's happening around the majors today:

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/05/2021 (1926 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A look at what’s happening around the majors today:

___

BURNES RETURNS

Brewers ace Corbin Burnes is set to face St. Louis in his first start since testing positive for the coronavirus last month. The right-hander is 2-2 with a 1.53 ERA, 49 strikeouts and no walks in 29 1/3 innings, but he hasn’t pitched since April 26.

Burnes confirmed Wednesday that he had COVID-19 but said he was asymptomatic. Milwaukee has achieved the 85% vaccination rate required by MLB to ease certain safety protocols, but Burnes said he opted against inoculation for personal reasons. He added he had “no clue” how he might have gotten the virus.

Burnes is scheduled to square off against Cardinals ace Jack Flaherty (6-0, 2.83).

HERE COME THE KIDS

The future arrives for the Seattle Mariners. Two major parts of it, anyway.

The team will call up touted outfield prospect Jarred Kelenic and promising right-hander Logan Gilbert before its series opener at home against Cleveland. Gilbert will be on the mound to make his major league debut.

“It’ll be an exciting day for those young players,” Seattle manager Scott Servais said. “Looking forward to having them on our roster and see what they can do. They’ve both got bright futures.”

Servais said the Mariners are optioning outfielder Taylor Trammell back to the minors, and the club is likely to add a third player as well.

ROYALS REELING

After a surprisingly strong start to the season, the Kansas City Royals have plummeted fast. They’ll try to stop a 10-game losing streak when they wrap up a series in Detroit, which owns the worst record in the majors at 12-24 even after winning its past three.

Daniel Lynch (0-1, 18.56 ERA) pitches for Kansas City against Spencer Turnbull (1-2, 4.74). The last time the Royals dropped 11 in a row was a 12-game skid in 2012.

Kansas City was 16-9 on May 1 to lead the majors but is now three games under .500.

“It’s really hard to deal with something like this, especially with the confidence we have in ourselves,” pitcher Danny Duffy said. “We know we’re better than this, but we’ve lost 10 straight games. There’s no escaping that, and the only way to end it is to win.”

PANDEMIC PROBLEMS

The San Diego Padres and New York Yankees are both short-staffed due to COVID-19 outbreaks, but neither has had to interrupt their schedule.

San Diego stars Fernando Tatis Jr. and Wil Myers have tested positive, and Eric Hosmer, Jurickson Profar and Jorge Mateo were held out of Wednesday’s doubleheader in Colorado due to contact tracing. The Padres are off on Thursday before starting a home series against NL Central-leading St. Louis on Friday night.

Yankees shortstop Gleyber Torres was kept out of Wednesday night’s starting lineup at Tampa Bay as a precaution as the number of confirmed positive tests among the team’s coaching and support staff reached seven.

Manager Aaron Boone said MLB’s Joint COVID-19 Health and Safety Committee is waiting and reviewing a number of test results. The members of New York’s traveling party have been tested at least three times each since Tuesday.

The Yankees have been relaxing virus protocols since April 30 after passing MLB’s 85% vaccination threshold among tier 1 staff, including players, coaches and trainers. Boone said the vaccinations were blunting the virus’ effects, with only one person showing symptoms.

New York is slated to wrap its series at Tampa Bay.

COMEBACK COMPLICATION

Braves right-hander Mike Soroka has experienced a setback in his recovery from surgery to repair his torn right Achilles tendon and will have a follow-up procedure next week. Atlanta’s opening day starter in 2020 tore the tendon Aug. 3 and hasn’t pitched since having season-ending surgery.

Manager Brian Snitker said Wednesday that Soroka will have exploratory surgery early next week in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

“I hate it for the kid,” Snitker said. “He’s worked so hard to come back. I hate it for him personally to have this setback.”

Soroka emerged as one of the foundations of the Braves’ rotation in 2019, when he went 13-4 with a 2.68 ERA. The Canadian earned a spot in the All-Star Game, finished second in NL Rookie of the Year balloting and sixth for the Cy Young Award.

EXTRA SPECIAL

The Reds have won five straight extra-inning games and are 6-2 in extras this season — no other team has more than four such victories.

Cincinnati beat Pittsburgh 5-1 on Wednesday when Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suárez combined to drive in four runs in the 10th inning.

“The key in most cases is not being satisfied with scoring the one run,” Reds manager David Bell said.

The Reds will see if they get any extra work when Luis Castillo (1-4, 6.42 ERA) pitches the opener of a four-game series at Colorado. Castillo had been scheduled to start Friday, but had his day flipped to give Wade Miley an extra day of rest after throwing 114 pitches in his no-hitter against Cleveland last Friday.

___

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:07 PM CDT

Manitoba premier open to lifting U.S. booze ban but hopes Canadians won’t buy it

Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Preview

Manitoba premier open to lifting U.S. booze ban but hopes Canadians won’t buy it

Ian Bickis, The Canadian Press 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

WINNIPEG - Manitoba's premier says he is reluctantly open to returning U.S. booze to provincial shelves as part of a trade deal, but hopes Canadians won't buy it.

Wab Kinew said Thursday he's still waiting for key details, including what the final tariff rates will be, before making any commitments. 

He said Prime Minister Mark Carney has all but begged the provinces to agree to allow U.S. alcohol sales, as Canada and the United States work to finalize a new trade deal to ward off further punishing tariffs on Canadian goods.

While he hasn't agreed to it yet, Kinew said if the province does agree, he hopes Canadians still buy locally.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:13 PM CDT

Cinematheque celebrates LGBTTQ+ director’s catalogue

Tiago Resko 3 minute read Preview

Cinematheque celebrates LGBTTQ+ director’s catalogue

Tiago Resko 3 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

As a distinct and important voice in queer cinema, director Gregg Araki’s sex-filled, nihilistic films about LGBTTQ+ life have left a lasting impact on indie films.

To end off the summer, Winnipeggers will have a rare one-week opportunity to experience the Los Angeles-born filmmaker’s work in theatres at Dave Barber Cinematheque from Aug. 28 to Sept. 6.

The series is to celebrate Araki’s newest movie, I Want Your Sex (which opens tonight and runs to Tuesday),and incorporates some of his more well-known works along with older films that aren’t usually screened, says Olivia Norquay, film programmer for Cinematheque.

One of the most important inclusions for Norquay is Araki’s Teen Apocalypse trilogy, which includes Totally F***ed Up (1993), The Doom Generation (1995) and Nowhere (1997).

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Educated people vote

John R. Wiens 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

I add my voice to Erna Buffie’s Think Tank piece “Democracy is a civic election issue” (Aug. 13) by asserting that democracy is a public education issue. Put another way, this fall’s municipal and school board elections are a test of public education — educating democratic citizens who appreciate our democratic inheritance enough to take responsibility for renewing it.

Voter turnouts for elections in Canada are abysmal. Where there should be 100 per cent participation, it often approaches 50 per cent federally and provincially, 25 per cent in local elections. The explanations given seem insufficient and unsatisfying, as are the reasons given by those who decide not to bother.

Some say they feel disempowered and alienated from the political process, feeling they have no say in governmental decisions which rule their lives.

Others appear resigned to the fact that, if they were to speak, they would simply be passed over or ignored, choosing not to vote because their votes, like their voices, make no difference and count for nothing. Still others say they’re too busy or just don’t care.

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026