For MLB All-Star Game, right/left divide goes beyond field

Advertisement

Advertise with us

DENVER (AP) — Debates about right and left at the All-Star Game used to deal with pitchers or perhaps batting orders.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/07/2021 (1866 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

DENVER (AP) — Debates about right and left at the All-Star Game used to deal with pitchers or perhaps batting orders.

This year it extends to the political divide in the United States.

Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred shifted Tuesday’s game to Denver’s Coors Field from Atlanta’s Truist Park because of a Georgia voting law that critics say will negatively affect communities of color. His decision generally was denounced by conservatives and praised by liberals.

A banner for the All-Star game hangs on the front of Coors Field near the sculpture entitled
A banner for the All-Star game hangs on the front of Coors Field near the sculpture entitled "The Player" after a news conference to kick off All-Star week Wednesday, July 7, 2021, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

“Commissioner Rob Manfred moved the All-Star Game from Atlanta, parroting dishonest, partisan talking points,” said a commercial by the Consumers’ Research, a conservative group. “Why is he making baseball political anyway? Because of his terrible record. Viewership way down. Ticket prices way up.”

Manfred said he made the decision after discussions with teams, former and current players, the Major League Baseball Players Association and The Players Alliance, an organization of Black players formed after the death of George Floyd last year.

“Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box,” he said in announcing his decision in early April.

“In 2020, MLB became the first professional sports league to join the nonpartisan Civic Alliance to help build a future in which everyone participates in shaping the United States. We proudly used our platform to encourage baseball fans and communities throughout our country to perform their civic duty and actively participate in the voting process. Fair access to voting continues to have our game’s unwavering support,” he said.

The Players Alliance quickly backed his decision.

“We want to make our voice heard loud and clear in our opposition of the recent Georgia legislation that not only disproportionally disenfranchises the Black community, but also paves the way for other states to pass similarly harmful laws based largely on widespread falsehoods and disinformation,” it said in a statement.

MLB originally awarded the game to what was then called SunTrust Park on May 29, 2019. It was to be the third All-Star Game in Atlanta following 1972 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium and 2000 at Turner Field, the former 1996 Olympic Stadium that was the Braves’ home from 1997-2016.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp signed the new election law March 25, and Manfred announced April 2 that the game would be moved, then four days later relocated it to Denver along with Sunday’s Futures Game and amateur draft, and Monday’s Home Run Derby.

Manfred’s decision was supported by President Joe Biden and criticized by former President Donald Trump, whose claims of massive voter fraud were rejected by many courts. Trump urged his supporters to boycott baseball.

Now that the game will be in the mile-high air of Coors, expect offensive fireworks.

When the All-Star Game was last played there in 1998, Alex Rodriguez and Roberto Alomar homered for the American League in a 13-8 win, and Barry Bonds connected for the National League. The AL tied the record for runs and hits (19), and the two teams set an All-Star record for combined runs and tied the record for hits with 31.

FILE - This photo from Thursday July 30, 2020, shows cardboard cutouts of fans in seats during a baseball game between the Atlanta Braves and Tampa Bay Rays at Truist Park stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. A Manhattan judge has rejected an attempt to force Major League Baseball to return next month's All-Star Game to Atlanta, after it was moved to Denver after Georgia Republicans enacted a restrictive new voting law. (AP Photo/John Amis, File)
FILE - This photo from Thursday July 30, 2020, shows cardboard cutouts of fans in seats during a baseball game between the Atlanta Braves and Tampa Bay Rays at Truist Park stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. A Manhattan judge has rejected an attempt to force Major League Baseball to return next month's All-Star Game to Atlanta, after it was moved to Denver after Georgia Republicans enacted a restrictive new voting law. (AP Photo/John Amis, File)

Shohei Ohtani of the Los Angeles Angels figures to be the focus this time, the first player picked as an All-Star for both his pitching and his hitting.

Jacob deGrom of the Mets, baseball’s best pitcher, is skipping the game to rest for the second half of the season following an injury slowed first three months.

Last year’s All-Star Game was to have been at Dodger Stadium but was canceled because the coronavirus pandemic caused MLB to delay opening day until July 23. The Dodgers will host next year’s game, instead.

The Futures Game of top prospects starts the activities on Sunday, and Ohtani will be the first Japanese-born player in the Home Run Derby, when the Mets’ Pete Alonso defends his 2019 title on Monday night.

Ohtani played two games at Coors in 2018 and went 1 for 2 with a single.

“Everyone told me that the ball flies there,'” he said though a translator, “and I felt that when I was taking BP, so it was a lot of fun.”

___

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Transit driver, supervisor assaulted in separate incidents

Free Press staff 2 minute read 2:15 PM CDT

Two people are facing charges for allegedly assaulting Winnipeg Transit employees in separate incidents within a 10-hour span Tuesday.

A 51-year-old man is accused of randomly throwing a beer can at a driver while exiting a bus at Dunkirk Avenue and Kingston Row at about 6 a.m.

The man bit the driver, who was trying to restrain him, police said. He was charged with assault and held in custody.

At about 3:40 p.m., a 31-year-old woman who refused to pay bus fare at Main Street and Pioneer Avenue punched a supervisor in the face, police said.

Read
2:15 PM CDT

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 2 minute read Preview

Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 2 minute read 11:02 AM CDT

A new report shows 94 complaints were flagged to Manitoba’s independent teacher commissioner during a 15-month period.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the professional misconduct concerns and findings of investigations between January 2025 and March 2026.

The regulatory college was established on Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in the 24-page document released this week.

Read
11:02 AM CDT

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Elevate things between you by breaking ice

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: I work in a high rise downtown and every day I come to work at the same time. I often ride the elevator up with this new guy working a few floors under me. I always feel a little disappointed when he has to get off, and I continue up into the sky.

I’ve worked my way up to speaking pleasantries about the weather, and he responds with cute remarks about the clouds. The good news? He’s not wearing a ring. I also found out his first name from hearing other people say hello to him. Now what?

— Feeling Frustrated! Downtown

Dear Frustrated: Next time you’re on the elevator ride together, say “Hi! My name is such-and-such and I work at such-and-such. Where do you work up here in the clouds?” That should make him smile and break the ice. Then you could consider asking if he might like to join you for a coffee on a work break, if you can co-ordinate it.