Ontario court again extends stay of proceedings for three tobacco companies

Advertisement

Advertise with us

TORONTO - An Ontario court has once again extended an order putting legal proceedings against three tobacco giants on hold as they continue negotiating a settlement with their creditors.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Monthly Digital Subscription

$0 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.75/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

No thanks

*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/03/2022 (1349 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

TORONTO – An Ontario court has once again extended an order putting legal proceedings against three tobacco giants on hold as they continue negotiating a settlement with their creditors.

Ontario Superior Court Justice Thomas McEwen agreed Tuesday to extend the stay for JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. until Sept. 30, 2022.

McEwen says there is no suggestion the companies “aren’t carrying on in good faith and with due diligence in an extremely complex mediation” with stakeholders.

He also says none of the other parties in the case have opposed the extension.

The stay was first granted in March 2019 and has been prolonged several times since then. It was set to expire on March 31.

The order was put in place after the companies lost an appeal in a landmark class-action lawsuit in Quebec and were told to pay more than $15 billion in damages to smokers in that province who either fell ill or were addicted.

The stay aims to maintain the status quo while the companies work towards a global settlement with the class-action members and other creditors.

Those other creditors include several provincial governments seeking to recover smoking-related health-care costs.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 22, 2022.

Report Error Submit a Tip