Alberta sees highest drug poisoning deaths in April, experts say better model needed

Advertisement

Advertise with us

EDMONTON - Experts say Alberta's model for combating drug poisoning in the province is not working as opioid-related deaths reached an all-time high this April.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/06/2023 (1147 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

EDMONTON – Experts say Alberta’s model for combating drug poisoning in the province is not working as opioid-related deaths reached an all-time high this April.

The latest provincial data, released Monday, shows 179 people died from drug poisoning in April, the deadliest month on record for Alberta — a 45-per-cent increase compared to April 2022.

“These numbers suggest that we might be on track for the worst year yet,” said Elaine Hyshka, Canada Research Chair in health systems innovation, who focuses on new strategies to address the overdose crisis.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith speaks to delegates at the Global Energy Show in Calgary on Tuesday, June 13, 2023. The Alberta NDP is accusing Smith of concealed the latest data on opioid-related deaths until after last month's provincial election. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Alberta Premier Danielle Smith speaks to delegates at the Global Energy Show in Calgary on Tuesday, June 13, 2023. The Alberta NDP is accusing Smith of concealed the latest data on opioid-related deaths until after last month's provincial election. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

Hyshka, who is also a public health professor at the University of Alberta, said the increased number of overdoses shows the illegal supply of drugs in Alberta is highly toxic.

“Everybody who is purchasing from the illegal market is at risk of fatal overdose.”

Hyshka said the government lacks an emergency response to the crisis.

“The statistics reflect the fact that the provincial government does not have a plan to address toxic drug poisoning,” she said.

Mental Health and Addiction Minister Dan Williams said Tuesday it is clear from the data that more needs to be done to address the addiction crisis.

“Investing in recovery is not a choice that we make, but it is our moral obligation to allow for better futures for those suffering today,” Williams said in a statement.

The minister said the United Conservative Party has funded services such as naloxone distribution, sterile supplies and drug consumption sites.

He said the government is constructing 11 new recovery communities across the province, including those in partnership with First Nations.

At a news conference Tuesday, the New Democrats accused the UCP government of holding back the latest data on opioid-related deaths until after the provincial election.

The premier’s office denied the claims and said Premier Danielle Smith was briefed about the data after the May 29 vote.

The Office of the Minister of Mental Health and Addiction said it usually takes about two months to update such data.

It said Williams was also briefed on the new numbers shortly after he was sworn into office on June 9.

Smith, who was at the western premiers meeting in Whistler, B.C., said all the premiers have some programs in place to address addiction and mental-health treatment.

“In Alberta, we’ve got a recovery-oriented system of care that forms the basis for how we address mental health and addiction issues.

“But each of the premiers knows that there are two sides to this. Those who are the victims of the disease and the victims of those peddling these poisonous opioids, and those who are on the crime side (of it),” she said.

Benjamin Perrin, a law professor at the University of British Columbia, said the policy on cracking down on drug trafficking has been discredited.

He said a study published earlier this month in the American Journal of Public Health shows that increased policing enforcement on drug trafficking increases the risk of overdose events.

Perrin said cracking down on trafficking destabilizes the drug supply, making space for newer organized crime groups trying to fill the gap for those still looking for drugs.

“There is no concern for quality control for those working in organized crimes,” he said.

Perrin said the Alberta government has opposed safer supply to substitute the unregulated, toxic drugs that are the primary cause of opioid-related deaths.

“They’ve opposed providing people with drugs of known contents and potency to replace toxic drugs, even though there’s evidence that that approach does save lives,” he said.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 27, 2023.

—-

This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Meta and Canadian Press News Fellowship.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Cross-border abduction under investigation

1 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 12:40 PM CDT

A cross-border kidnapping from Winnipeg to Minnesota is under investigation, according to North Dakota state patrol.

A 31-year-old Manitoba man abducted a 37-year-old Manitoba man in Winnipeg and drove across the border into North Dakota, the North Dakota State Highway Patrol said in a Facebook post Sunday. The state patrol said it became aware of the possible abduction Sunday morning and worked with local, federal and Canadian law enforcement to investigate.

Authorities identified a suspect vehicle using cameras at multiple locations and used cell-phone location information and licence-plate reader technology to find the vehicle in Alexandria, Minnesota.

"The victim was able to break free from the suspect and run into a nearby store. The suspect was taken into custody shortly afterward by the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Alexandria Police Department. The victim was recovered safely," the North Dakota state patrol's post reads.

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Manitoba family finalist for cattle producers environmental award

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Preview

Manitoba family finalist for cattle producers environmental award

Aaron Epp 4 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A family in western Manitoba is one of seven finalists for a national environmental award honouring beef cattle producers.

Connor and Kyla English, alongside Connor’s parents, Brian and Leanne English, are nominated for the Canadian Cattle Association’s Environmental Stewardship Award. The 30-year-old award is presented to beef farmers and ranchers who explore innovative ways to protect, preserve and enhance their operations and the environment simultaneously.

This year’s recipient will be announced on Wednesday during a banquet at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference in Winnipeg.

The English family’s roots near Bradwardine — about 265 kilometres west of Winnipeg — date back to 1898. Today, Connor, Kyla, Brian and Leanne manage a herd of about 320 breeding cows on nearly 445 hectares (1,100 acres) of owned and rented pasture and forage land.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Rise of social media reflects rise of self-promotion — to the detriment of genuine storytelling

Reviewed by Matt Henderson 5 minute read Preview

Rise of social media reflects rise of self-promotion — to the detriment of genuine storytelling

Reviewed by Matt Henderson 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

A conversation is overheard between two people; one congratulates the other on their success, evident through countless posts on LinkedIn, but the other confesses the prolific aggrandizement is due to slumping success.

A young man on an airplane spends three hours poring over selfies taken on a vacation, zooming in on his biceps and using AI to retouch photos before posting on Instagram.

Anonymous and cowardly trolls on Reddit attempt to end another person’s career.

All this “storytelling” was observed in one day by this reviewer.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |