Quebec begins granting early requests for MAID without requested federal changes

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Quebecers who want to arrange a medically assisted death before their condition leaves them unable to grant consent can do so as of next month, the province announced Saturday as it unveiled details of a plan to grant such requests without waiting for Ottawa to update the country's criminal code.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/09/2024 (714 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – Quebecers who want to arrange a medically assisted death before their condition leaves them unable to grant consent can do so as of next month, the province announced Saturday as it unveiled details of a plan to grant such requests without waiting for Ottawa to update the country’s criminal code.

Quebec’s government said last month it would stop waiting for the federal government to implement the requested amendments and forge ahead with plans to grant early MAID requests. On Saturday, the province announced such requests could be granted as of Oct. 30.

“The issue of advance requests for medical assistance in dying is widely agreed upon in Quebec,” Justice Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette said in a press release.

Quebec Premier Francois Legault, left, walks to a cabinet meeting with Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube in Quebec City, Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Quebec announced Saturday that it will authorize early requests for medical assistance in dying, without waiting for Ottawa to amend Canada’s Criminal Code. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

Quebec Premier Francois Legault, left, walks to a cabinet meeting with Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube in Quebec City, Wednesday, March 29, 2023. Quebec announced Saturday that it will authorize early requests for medical assistance in dying, without waiting for Ottawa to amend Canada’s Criminal Code. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

Seniors Minister Sonia Bélanger called the province a leader in upholding “patients’ right to die with dignity.”

The government said it has asked the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions to respect the conditions laid out in the province’s act respecting end-of-life care when it comes to pressing criminal charges.

In response, the Director’s office issued its own release immediately after the government, saying it would instruct criminal and penal prosecutors that “it would not be in the public interest” to authorize criminal prosecutions for deaths occurring in a context of MAID so long as the care is provided in compliance with the act.

Director Patrick Michel says prosecutors will only intervene when a police investigation has taken place or a complaint has been made that someone’s wishes were not respected in accordance with the law, for example, if someone was alleged to have been coerced.

When asked whether Quebec is acting illegally without Ottawa modifying the Criminal Code, Michel said prosecutors will continue to enforce the law until Ottawa steps in and takes action.

“We’re a law enforcement agency, so we have to take it for granted that the provincial law is valid, and we’ll take that into account in our decisions,” Michel told The Canadian Press in an interview.

“The federal government would have to challenge the legality of the law, then convince a judge to suspend the application of the law while the court ruled on the validity of the provincial law. Otherwise, the law is presumed valid until it is invalidated, or a court suspends its application,” he said.

Quebec previously said it would wait to grant early requests until the federal government modified the Criminal Code in order to better protect health-care workers from facing charges related to ending a patient’s life, but last month it announced it wouldn’t wait any longer.

Quebec adopted a law in June 2023 permitting people with serious and incurable illnesses like Alzheimer’s disease to ask for MAID while they have the capacity to provide consent, with the procedure being carried out after their condition has worsened.

On X, Quebec’s College of Physicians shared its support for the Quebec government’s move and criticized Ottawa.

“We deplore the fact that Ottawa has not yet amended the Criminal Code to authorize this well-established procedure, which has consensus in Quebec.

The Order of Quebec Nurses also expressed its approval and turned its attention to federal lawmakers.

“There are still a number of issues to clarify before it comes into force. We therefore look to the federal government to quickly join the broad Quebec consensus,” said order president Luc Mathieu in an email to the Canadian Press.

The Criminal Code says that “immediately before” a health-care worker administers a medically assisted death, they must “give the person an opportunity to withdraw their request and ensure that the person gives express consent to receive medical assistance in dying.”

There are exceptions, but for the consent requirement to be waived, a person seeking MAID must fulfil several criteria, including that they “entered into an arrangement in writing” specifying the day on which they wanted to die.

Under the Quebec law, a patient’s advance request is made with the help of a health professional and must describe in detail the symptoms that will trigger medical aid in dying after they have lost the ability to consent.

In February 2023, Parliament’s special joint committee on MAID released a report recommending that the federal government amend the Criminal Code to allow for advance requests following a diagnosis of a serious and incurable medical condition, or “disorder leading to incapacity.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 7, 2024.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:18 PM CDT

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:18 PM CDT

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read Preview

Roadside giants towering symbols of Canada’s quirkiness

Jen Zoratti 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Could you imagine a Canada without Mr. PG repping Prince George, B.C.? Or the Big Nickel in Sudbury? Or, my personal favourite, Happy Rock in Gladstone?

Earlier this summer, CBC’s Cost of Living looked at the economics of these giant roadside attractions — of which there are more than 1,500 in Canada — and the cost of keeping them.

Some are falling into disrepair — this is why public art funding is necessary, by the way, not just for construction, but maintenance — and some towns are weighing whether or not that money is better spent elsewhere.

The main character of the story: Tyra the Tyrannosaurus, the rather literal symbol of Drumheller, Alta., a.k.a. the Dinosaur Capital of the World since 2000, who could be facing extinction after the lease agreement between the town and the Drumheller and District Chamber of Commerce ends in 2029.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Preview

Transit union pleads for full shields after near ‘hijacking situation’

Nicole Buffie 5 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

The union representing Winnipeg Transit drivers says the need for full safety shields is critical after an operator was threatened with a hatchet early Thursday.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

Bombers offence stalls in 22-19 loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Updated: 8:19 AM CDT

It was a microcosm of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ season to this point: a first half that burned bright only to be doused in cold water.

The Bombers began the first leg of their mid-season gauntlet with a 22-19 loss to the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in the Alberta capital on Friday night.

Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo orchestrated an eight-play, 54-yard drive that set up a 40-yard game-winning field goal by Vincent Blanchard that snuck inside the left upright with zeros on the clock.

The drive, which was plagued by poor tackling by the Bombers defence, came after Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo tied the game at 19-19 on a 53-yard boot with 1:41 remaining in the contest.

Read
Updated: 8:19 AM CDT