Experts say masks still a top tool as Quebec considers prolonging mandate

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - Quebec on Monday appeared to be the only province ready to buck the Canadian trend and prolong its mask mandate, as experts said face coverings are still an effective tool to limit COVID-19 transmission.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 04/04/2022 (1599 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – Quebec on Monday appeared to be the only province ready to buck the Canadian trend and prolong its mask mandate, as experts said face coverings are still an effective tool to limit COVID-19 transmission.

Currently only Quebec, P.E.I. and Nunavut still require masking in public places, with the latter two scheduled to end their mandates within the next week.

Quebec’s interim public health director told Radio-Canada on Sunday that as the province battles a sixth wave of COVID-19, he is “seriously considering” recommending that masking remain mandatory beyond the planned mid-April end. Premier François Legault said a decision would be announced Tuesday, following a Monday evening meeting between government and health officials.

People wear face masks as they leave a metro station in Montreal, Saturday, March 12, 2022. As Quebec ponders bucking the Canadian trend by delaying the removal of its mask mandate, experts say masking is still an effective tool to limit COVID-19 transmission. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes
People wear face masks as they leave a metro station in Montreal, Saturday, March 12, 2022. As Quebec ponders bucking the Canadian trend by delaying the removal of its mask mandate, experts say masking is still an effective tool to limit COVID-19 transmission. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

The province’s COVID-19 hospitalizations, which had dipped below 1,000 in mid-March, have been climbing steadily in recent days, reaching more than 1,400 on Monday.

Other provinces have resisted calls to prolong or reimpose public health restrictions, even as cases have risen in some parts of the country.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Monday that his province, which has seen a one-week, 30 per cent rise in hospitalizations, can manage what he described as a “little spike” in COVID-19. Ford said a combination of increased hospital capacity and the advent of antiviral drugs have left the province better prepared.

“We expected a little spike,” Ford said. “We said that over the last months, but that little spike, we’re being able to manage it.”

The Ford government has previously said it did not plan to reimpose public health restrictions.

Two experts who spoke with The Canadian Press said that while masking cannot fully stop a COVID-19 wave, it remains one of the best defences to cut transmission and protect the wearer and those around them.

McGill chemistry professor and aerosols expert Parisa Ariya said there are “hundreds” of studies that have shown that masks are successful in reducing transmission. While efficacy varies, she said, those studies have shown that the ability to filter out the virus ranges from about 50 per cent for three-layer cloth masks to more than 90 per cent for top models.

“Many good masks actually work better than some of the Chinese vaccinations that were good up to 50 per cent,” she said in a phone interview Monday. “A very good mask can go to over 80 per cent, so that’s very good protection.”

She said there’s a simple reason why masks work against COVID-19, including the most recent mutations. “The major weakness of the virus is the fact that, it is a physical thing, it is a matter” that can be blocked by a physical barrier, she said.

Nearly all Canadian provinces have done away with mask mandates for public spaces in recent weeks, although some have maintained the order for schoolchildren or on public transit.

Despite keeping its mask mandate, Quebec was the first province to declare a sixth wave of COVID-19, and the province has seen a concerning rise in hospitalizations.

Ariya says there are many factors that go into COVID-19 transmission, including environmental factors, the way the virus changes, precautions taken and the characteristics of the hosts. Throughout the pandemic, different regions have experienced the various waves differently, she said.

“In Quebec, for example, you are getting higher numbers, but there is no reason that every place would be the same way,” she said.

“At the same time, it doesn’t mean that the place that is low right now is not going to get it, and we have seen it six times.”

She also noted that while Quebec has maintained a mask rule in public places, the province has allowed maskless people to gather in bars and restaurants, and has removed capacity limits in public places. While masking “is not a solution for everything, it’s one of the best we have,” she said.

Isaac Bogoch, an infectious diseases expert with the University of Toronto, agreed that “masking is not going to stop a wave” — but he said that doesn’t mean it’s not helpful.

“It can blunt the impact of a wave, protect the individual mask wearer, and if enough people wear them, help protect people more vulnerable to COVID in higher-risk indoor settings,” he wrote in an email on Monday.

There were calls on Monday to reinstate continuous mask use for children in schools in New Brunswick, which lifted its mandate in mid-March. A group of 19 pediatricians in the province said in an open letter that COVID-19 is an airborne virus and that masking and vaccination are well-proven to be effective in decreasing transmission and severity of infection.

The doctors said that since the preschool population is not currently eligible for vaccination, they recommend returning to continuous indoor masking for child-care staff for the rest of the school year.

The New Brunswick Medical Society also called for the reinstatement of mask mandates in schools and childcare settings.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 4, 2022.

— With files from Kevin Bissett in Fredericton and Allison Jones in Toronto.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.

A new disciplinary system, as well as an online registry where members of the public can look up the education level and standing of teachers and school clinicians, came into effect Jan. 6, 2025.

“These processes can be difficult and deeply personal for everyone involved, including students, families, teachers and school administrators,” Classen wrote in a 24-page report published this week.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Letters, Aug. 20

7 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Old-fashioned news

I scrolled through the comment section of the online news story, my eyes darting through differing opinions until I landed on one that caught my attention. I felt my shoulders tense and my breath quicken as I read the fiery thoughts of a stranger.

Surely, there must be a better way to read the news?

I thought back to the ’90s. Every morning, my mother would open the front door to retrieve the Winnipeg Free Press. I would jump at the Arts section until I found the comics and giggle while I ate my cereal. My parents absorbed the news while getting ready for their day, and eventually the newspaper found its way to the top of the paper pile in the garage. The next morning, the cycle would repeat itself.