Government defying order to produce documents on fired scientists: Speaker

Advertisement

Advertise with us

OTTAWA - Conservatives want to invoke a rarely used procedure to publicly rebuke the head of the Public Health Agency of Canada over his refusal to produce unredacted documents related to the firing of two scientists from Canada's highest security laboratory.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/06/2021 (1891 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

OTTAWA – Conservatives want to invoke a rarely used procedure to publicly rebuke the head of the Public Health Agency of Canada over his refusal to produce unredacted documents related to the firing of two scientists from Canada’s highest security laboratory.

Conservative House leader Gerard Deltell moved a motion Wednesday calling for PHAC to be found in contempt of Parliament and its president, Iain Stewart, to be summoned before the bar of the House to be admonished by the Speaker.

Stewart would also be expected at that time to hand over the documents that opposition MPs on the special Canada-China relations committee have been demanding for months, the motion says.

Speaker of the House of Commons Anthony Rota is seen in the House of Commons Wednesday April 14, 2021 in Ottawa. House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota says the Trudeau government has not complied with a House order to produce unredacted documents related to the firing of two scientists from Canada's highest security laboratory. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Speaker of the House of Commons Anthony Rota is seen in the House of Commons Wednesday April 14, 2021 in Ottawa. House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota says the Trudeau government has not complied with a House order to produce unredacted documents related to the firing of two scientists from Canada's highest security laboratory. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

Deltell’s move came shortly after Speaker Anthony Rota sided with opposition parties in ruling that the Commons and its committees have unfettered power to order the production of any documents they please, even those with national security implications.

Rota ruled that the Trudeau government has not complied with an order, passed by the Commons earlier this month, to produce the documents. As such, he said there’s a prima facie case that it has breached MPs’ privileges.

Normally, such a ruling would be followed by a motion of censure or a motion to refer the matter to a committee for further study.

But the Conservatives chose to go further, invoking what is arguably a nuclear procedural option that has not been used against a private citizen since 1913, the Library of Parliament indicates.

It has only been used twice since 1913, both times to reprimand MPs — New Democrat MP Ian Waddell in 1991 and Canadian Alliance MP Keith Martin in 2002. Both were hauled before the bar of the House — a brass rail meant to bar strangers from entering the chamber — to be reprimanded for grabbing the ceremonial mace during Commons proceeding.

Deltell’s motion was debated at length Wednesday and will be put to a vote Thursday. If it passes — which seems likely given that opposition parties are united in their demand for the documents — Stewart would be required to appear before the bar on Monday.

Deltell argued that it’s crucial for the Commons to take such a rare step because what’s at stake is transparency, Canadians’ confidence in their institutions, the powers of the Commons and the very preservation of democracy in Canada.

Opposition MPs on the Canada-China committee have been demanding the documents for months as they attempt to find out why PHAC terminated the employment of scientists Xiangguo Qiu and her husband, Keding Cheng, in January.

The pair had been escorted out of the National Microbiology Laboratory in July 2019 over what PHAC has described as “relating to possible breaches in security protocols.”

The Winnipeg lab is Canada’s only Level Four laboratory, designed to deal safely with deadly contagious germs such as Ebola.

Stewart and Health Minister Patty Hajdu have both said the pair’s firing had nothing to do with the fact that Qiu oversaw a shipment of Ebola and Henipah viruses to China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology in March 2019.

They’ve also said there’s no connection to COVID-19, a coronavirus that first appeared in China’s Wuhan province and which some believe may have been released accidentally by the virology institute.

Nevertheless, opposition parties are determined to see unredacted documents about the transfer of viruses to the institute and the subsequent firing of the two scientists and continue to suggest a possible link between the two.

Stewart has twice refused to comply with a committee order to produce those documents, saying federal Justice officials have advised him that would be a breach of privacy laws, could interfere in an ongoing police investigation and jeopardize national security.

Opposition parties joined forces earlier this month to pass a motion in the Commons ordering PHAC to turn over all unredacted documents to the parliamentary law clerk, who would confidentially review them and redact anything he felt would compromise national security or the ongoing police investigation.

It specified that the Canada-China relations committee, after consulting with the law clerk, could choose to make public any redacted material.

In defiance of the House order, the minority Liberal government instead provided the unredacted documents to the all-party National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians, whose members must have top security clearance and are bound to secrecy.

But Rota ruled Wednesday that’s not an acceptable alternative since the national security committee, a relatively new body created by the Trudeau government, is not a standing committee of Parliament.

He ruled that there is no limit on the power of the House or its committees to order the production of sensitive documents and to determine how they’re to be handled.

“It is for the House, not the government, to decide how such documents are to be reviewed and what safeguards to put in place, if any,” Rota ruled.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 16, 2021.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A WINNIPEG drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 4 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

After soaking up the summer sun, there’s no better time to get a skin checkup.

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic, which receives support from the Canadian Dermatology Association, will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer on a first-come, first-served basis.

First launched in 2023 in Ontario, the Mole Mobile is intended to promote prevention and early detection of skin cancer. Last weekend, the clinic visited Brandon, Portage la Prairie and Selkirk, a first for Manitoba.

“We saw a number of patients who had spots that they weren’t sure if they were normal or not,” says Dr. Alexis Botkin, a local dermatologist working the Manitoba Mole Mobile stops. “It was wonderful to provide that skin screening for people who were on a wait list (to see a specialist), as well as those who don’t have a primary care provider.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT