Polytechnique Montréal receives $50 million gift to create disruptive innovation hub

Advertisement

Advertise with us

MONTREAL - A Quebec-born businessman and philanthropist who is donating $50 million to a Montreal university to establish an institute dedicated to "disruptive innovation" says it has never been more important to invest in homegrown talent. 

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/03/2025 (522 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

MONTREAL – A Quebec-born businessman and philanthropist who is donating $50 million to a Montreal university to establish an institute dedicated to “disruptive innovation” says it has never been more important to invest in homegrown talent. 

Pierre Lassonde’s donation to Polytechnique Montréal, to be officially announced at an event Monday, comes as Canada finds itself in the midst of a tariff war with the United States, its largest trading partner and ally.

Lassonde believes Canada had grown used to being dependent on the U.S., a relationship that U.S. President Donald Trump has turned on its head since he took office in January.

Pierre Lassonde speaks at an announcement, in Quebec City, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot
Pierre Lassonde speaks at an announcement, in Quebec City, Thursday, Dec. 2, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

“It was an easy relationship. Well, it isn’t anymore and we have to wake up to that,” Lassonde said in an interview last week from his Toronto home. 

“Never waste a good crisis … this is a good crisis, so let’s do something about it,” Lassonde added. “This hopefully will kick-start something even bigger. Every single moment matters and this one matters a great deal.”

Lassonde, a Polytechnique graduate and an expert in mining and precious metals, heads the school’s board of directors, and the family name already adorns a number of pavilions at the institution thanks to previous donations. The engineering school, which is affiliated with the Université de Montréal, described the $50 million as the largest gift in its history.

Lassonde said the idea formed as he roamed the labs and spoke to professors and students. He detected untapped potential, due in part to a lack of money. “We do have incredible brains at Polytechnique in terms of deep tech. We are in some respects at the very cutting edge of the domain,”  he said. That’s why the new funding will be used to invest in those minds before they are recruited into the private sector.

Disruptive innovation is a process where a new product or service, often with a simpler or less sophisticated design, initially targets a specific market and then gradually or eventually replaces the existing product. 

“None of it is going into bricks and mortar, it’s all about intellectual capital and about creating intellectual properties that will really be meaningful, that will create jobs, that will create economic activity, growth in Canada hopefully, and impact the world,” Lassonde said.

He also hopes to spur on others with the financial means to contribute toward the creation of forward-looking projects. Though Quebecers have in recent decades started “throwing their weight around” and giving more to higher education, he said more can be done.

“It’s a recurring issue in Canadian universities, simply because we don’t have the philanthropic model that the U.S. universities have,” Lassonde said.

Oussama Moutanabbir, a professor at Polytechnique, said the new institute’s main focus will be developing technologies to address immediate problems.

“Since the beginning of humanity, people develop technology based on what they have in hand and what they need, and that paradigm continues today. There are many universities and research labs doing the same thing,” Moutanabbir said. 

“But Polytechnique has a commitment to focus on this innovation by tapping into new fundamental knowledge, so bridging the gap between the discovery and the application.”

Moutanabbir gives the example of medical imaging and cancer — developing technology that can detect the first small clusters of tumour cells that appear in the body and to test as many patients as possible.

Existing technology requires exposure to an X-ray with a high dose of radiation for people who are vulnerable, so the idea is to create a new tool that is smaller and can be operated with a much lower exposure. That involves going back to the drawing board.

“To address that challenge, we have to go to the fundamental nature of matter and manipulate it,” Moutanabbir said. “The institute would be focusing on these kind of problems … the driving force will always be to maximize the impact of academic research on society.”

Forward-looking also means the need to invest in young minds, Moutanabbir said. “The very precious resource that we need to focus on is really young scientists,” he said.

Lassonde said he is worried about recent measures that limit the number of international students coming to Quebec. Last month, the province announced it would issue 20 per cent fewer acceptance certificates to foreign students this year compared to last.

“I am very concerned about our ability … to attract the very best minds and bring them here,” Lassonde said, noting that two-thirds of doctoral candidates at Polytechnique are international students and there are not enough Quebecers to meet the demand. 

“If that ability to attract them is cut off, it’s really like cutting off your nose to spite your face,” Lassonde said. “It’s going to be a terrible blow to our university programs.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 17, 2025.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Preview

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read 6:12 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared. The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

“This big hole in the middle is getting bigger and bigger,” Kaban said Thursday.

Read
6:12 PM CDT

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Preview

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read 3:31 PM CDT

The page has officially flipped to the second half of the season, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers find themselves teetering in the CFL’s grey zone, with the scale capable of tipping in either direction.

Sure, the club would be in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but it’s closer to the bottom of the West Division than it is to the top.

The club’s perpetually optimistic head coach Mike O’Shea said earlier this week that his team is “probably where we need to be.”

Beyond O’Shea, it’s a mixed bag of reviews from coaches and players alike about how they are feeling through nine contests.

Read
3:31 PM CDT

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read 6:07 PM CDT

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
6:07 PM CDT

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
5:48 PM CDT