Motorists sue Westchester County over 1.6 billion license plate scans

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A coalition of civil rights groups on Tuesday asked a state judge to order one of New York's largest suburban counties to stop its deployment of nearly 600 license plate readers, calling it a warrantless and “indiscriminate surveillance system” that violates the state constitution.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

A coalition of civil rights groups on Tuesday asked a state judge to order one of New York’s largest suburban counties to stop its deployment of nearly 600 license plate readers, calling it a warrantless and “indiscriminate surveillance system” that violates the state constitution.

The class action lawsuit also alleged that Westchester County never got proper authorization to launch the program, which has amassed a database of 1.6 billion plate scans that has been shared with more than 50 outside law enforcement agencies, including U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The complaint said the network “records the long-term travel patterns, daily habits, and intimate information of millions of law-abiding New Yorkers and other motorists who travel through Westchester.”

“In a democracy, a police department cannot unilaterally decide — without legislative authorization — to surveil the daily movements of its own citizens without any real accountability, transparency, or oversight,” said Barry Friedman, founder and faculty director of the Policing Project at NYU School of Law, which brought the suit on behalf of four motorists. “This indiscriminate data surveillance must not be allowed to continue in the dark.”

FILE - Pedestrians pass the Richard J. Daronco Westchester County Courthouse, Oct. 13, 2020, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)
FILE - Pedestrians pass the Richard J. Daronco Westchester County Courthouse, Oct. 13, 2020, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)

“Westchester County has not yet received or reviewed the lawsuit referenced,” a spokesperson for the county said.

The widespread use of license plate reader systems, which utilize a system of cameras to scan and record motorists’ license plate information, has generated controversy. The Associated Press in November reported that the U.S. Border Patrol was running a secretive license plate reader program that singled drivers out over their travel patterns, prompting a complaint from congressional Democrats that the program may be unlawful.

A license plate reader company, Flock Safety, said last year it was pausing work with the Department of Homeland Security after it was revealed that police departments across the country were sharing license plate reader data with immigration authorities. Other cities and states are restricting data sharing with federal authorities, reducing how long they keep license plate reader data or even canceling contracts in response to residents’ complaints.

The civil rights groups brought the case against Westchester County on behalf of four women who live in the county or in nearby jurisdictions. The suit alleged that the four motorists’ license plate data had been collectively captured thousands of times by the county’s camera network in the past few years. A vehicle belonging to one plaintiff, Lora Nelson, was captured by the county’s cameras more than 2,400 times. Another plaintiff’s vehicle was captured 1,134 times between 2023 and 2026, the suit alleged.

Westchester County, which is 430-square miles (1,114 square kilometers) and just north of New York City, is crisscrossed by major thoroughfares, including Interstate 87 and Interstate 95 and the Hutchinson River Parkway that serve daily commuter traffic into and out of New York City and longer distance travel.

The women who brought the case are represented by the Policing Project at New York University School of Law, the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, the New York Civil Liberties Union and the law firm Freshfields.

The use of license plate readers has broadly been upheld by most courts because they document the movement of cars on public roadways. The Westchester litigation is part of a broader legal effort seeking to have courts reconsider such legal doctrines amid the proliferation of surveillance technologies, data collection and analysis.

———

AP writer Garance Burke in San Francisco contributed to this report.

——-

Contact AP’s global investigative team at Investigative@ap.org or https://www.ap.org/tips/.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Preview

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared. The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

“This big hole in the middle is getting bigger and bigger,” Kaban said Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

“This isn’t vigilante justice. This isn’t about someone going out and trying to settle scores,” Josh Guenter, the Progressive Conservative MLA for Borderland, said Thursday.

“This is about Manitobans who have crime perpetrated on them, and what they’re able to do in that moment, to protect themselves, their loved ones, and their property.”

Officers were sent to property in the Rural Municipality of Dufferin, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people who had been on the property earlier in the day returned that evening, driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

Read
Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

‘How can we grow back the herd in Canada?’

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

‘How can we grow back the herd in Canada?’

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Yesterday at 7:50 PM CDT

Amid high beef prices and trade uncertainty, a Farm Credit Canada executive touched down in Winnipeg with a message: it’s time for cattle producers to grow.

“What they face right now is … opportunity,” said Jean-Philippe Gervais, the federal Crown corporation’s executive vice-president of agricultural production.

Gervais was representing FCC, the country’s top agricultural lender, at the Canadian Beef Industry Conference.

He spoke to the Free Press ahead of his keynote speech Thursday afternoon. Hundreds of cattle farmers and industry leaders gathered at the RBC Convention Centre for the four-day event, which began on Monday.

Read
Yesterday at 7:50 PM CDT

Veteran actress Grier to headline Film Training Manitoba event

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Preview

Veteran actress Grier to headline Film Training Manitoba event

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Yesterday at 7:54 PM CDT

An actress known for her pioneering work in U.S cinema will speak at a Winnipeg event promoting women in film careers.

Pam Grier is slated to talk about breaking barriers and building a lasting career during the Supporting Women in Film Trades (SWIFT) conference.

Grier received a Golden Globe nomination in 1998 for her lead role in Jackie Brown, a Quentin Tarantino movie. Her breakout roles came starring in blaxploitation films Coffy and Foxy Brown — released in 1973 and 1974, respectively.

“Pam Grier was such a huge get for us,” Adam Smoluk, executive director of Film Training Manitoba, said Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 7:54 PM CDT

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
Yesterday at 6:37 PM CDT

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT