Decisions pending on Jets roster: Noel
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:
All-Access Digital Subscription
$4.75 per week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Pay $19.00 every four weeks. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled anytime.
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/10/2011 (4141 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The next chapter in the shaping of the Winnipeg Jets’ roster likely won’t be revealed until Sunday, possibly Monday.
Jets’ head coach Claude Noel said after Saturday morning’s practice that decisions are still being made on who would make up the 23-man roster that would suit up for the regular-season opener on Oct. 9th vs. the Montreal Canadiens.
“We’re mulling it around,” said Noel. “I just talked a little bit to (GM Kevin Cheveldayoff) Chevy, he’s talking to the staff and we’re trying to sort through that stuff today. I don’t know when the decision will be.”
The Jets did place centre Tim Stapleton on waivers on Saturday, but he practised with the team while waiting to see if he was scooped up by another organization. Both defenceman Brett Festerling and forward Spencer Machacek, placed on waivers en route to St. John’s earlier this week, have cleared.
The Jets still have 32 players in Winnipeg, including the injured Eric Fehr, Ben Maxwell, Aaron Gagnon and Kenndal McArdle. Both Blake Wheeler and Bryan Little were not on the ice on Saturday, but their minor hurts shouldn’t keep them out for long.
Defenceman Dustin Byfuglien returned to practice after missing the last few days.
“I’m good,” said Byfuglien. “I’m just taking care of the body before it all gets going. I was just sore from working throughout the camp, so I thought I’d take (the time to heal) now and not in the season.”