Winnipeg DJ who went missing now in custody, facing sexual assault charge


Advertise with us

He started as a missing person – and ended up as a fugitive.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.75 per week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel anytime.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/09/2014 (3175 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

He started as a missing person – and ended up as a fugitive.

But Winnipeg police say they did not deliberately mislead anyone into the strange circumstances surrounding a Winnipeg radio DJ who vanished without a trace and is now facing a string of criminal charges.

Christopher Elwick, also known as “Shecky,” is now accused of sexual assault and sexual interference on a minor for alleged incidents which occurred between January 2009 and December 2010.

Winnipeg Police Service
Chris Elwick
Winnipeg Police Service Chris Elwick

Elwick, 32, is also charged with possession of child pornography between March 2013 and Sept. 11, 2013.

None of the allegations has been proven and he is presumed innocent. Elwick was released on strict bail conditions Monday, which include having no contact with anyone under the age of 16.

Court records obtained by the Free Press show the alleged victim of the sexual assaults is a boy whose age isn’t disclosed.

The Free Press has also obtained a detailed timeline of how the incident unfolded.

Elwick, who had been working for Energy 106 as an on-air personality, was first contacted by police on Sept. 19 regarding the ongoing sex assault investigation based on information that had recently come their way.

A phone conversation ended with Elwick promising to come and meet personally with investigators in the days ahead.

On Sept. 24, the police missing persons unit received a call from concerned family members who hadn’t heard from Elwick for more than 24-hours. They expressed concern to police that he was suicidal.

Police issued a public alert last Friday, Sept. 26, calling on anyone with information to contact them. Several colleagues who work in local radio also took to social media seeking help in finding him.

At the time, police had no grounds to arrest Elwick and made no mention of the ongoing criminal investigation. However, later that day they did apply for an arrest warrant, despite the fact they had yet to interview him personally. That information wasn’t released publicly out of concern for Elwick’s well-being.

“We didn’t want to set him off,” a police source said Monday. “We were dealing with a very sensitive situation.”

RCMP located Elwick on Saturday, Sept. 27. Sources told the Free Press he had suffered an injury, apparently by his own hand. He was taken to hospital for treatment.

On Sunday, Sept. 28, Elwick was released to his family members – and promptly arrested by Winnipeg police on the strength of the warrant they had just obtained. He was detained in custody overnight.

Elwick has since been let go from his latest job at Energy 106, where he had worked for about three weeks.

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Sports columnist

Mike McIntyre grew up wanting to be a professional wrestler. But when that dream fizzled, he put all his brawn into becoming a professional writer.


Updated on Monday, September 29, 2014 4:00 PM CDT: Write-through

Updated on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:38 AM CDT: Removes reference to radio station.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us