Missing-person case now a homicide

Remains found inside home on Magnus Avenue

Advertisement

Advertise with us

It's a tragic end to a high-profile missing person mystery.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/02/2015 (4203 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

It’s a tragic end to a high-profile missing person mystery.

Winnipeg police say the remains of Christophur Baur, 36, were found Sunday inside a home in the 800 block of Magnus Avenue.

A resident of the home, 38-year-old James John Morris, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder. Police say Baur and Morris were known to each other.

Police / Handout
Christophur Baur
Police / Handout Christophur Baur

“Our office has put a lot of time into this investigation. Very seldom do these types of situations end up like this,” Const. Eric Hofley said Monday.

Baur was last seen the evening of Jan. 3, at the Casa Grande Pizzeria on Sargent Avenue at Wall Street in Winnipeg’s West End.

Police say they believe he was killed that same night after attending the accused’s home. An “altercation” ensued, with Baur being struck with a weapon, knocked unconscious and eventually dying of his injuries.

Police say Baur’s body was hidden inside the home, where it remained for six weeks. No other details on the concealment were provided Monday.

“At the end of the day, we have Mr. Baur losing his life over what appears to be a fairly innocuous situation,” Hofley told reporters.

Police made several calls for public assistance on this case, including late last month when Baur’s red 2007 Toyota Yaris was found in the 800 Block of Manitoba Avenue.

Hofley said Monday police believe the vehicle was moved after Baur’s death in a likely attempt to lead investigations “in a different direction.”

‘At the end of the day, we have Mr. Baur losing his life over what appears to be a fairly innocuous situation’

The missing persons unit originally began investigating, but turned the file over to homicide detectives last week once they suspected Baur was a victim of foul play.

“This incident was solved by knocking on doors, good old-fashioned police work,” said Hofley.

Morris is known to police through previous dealings, police said. He is being held in custody and will make his first court appearance Tuesday morning.

www.mikeoncrime.com

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:14 AM CST: Replaces photo

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES