Verdict reserved in murder-for-hire case
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $205*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/06/2015 (4076 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
There is no doubt Ivan Radocaj was the victim of a sadistic murder-for-hire plot that was executed with ruthless precision inside his Interlake home.
The only question that remains is whether Rita Cushnie was involved.
Crown and defence lawyers presented vastly different theories on Friday as they wrapped up a high-profile case. Cushnie, 59, has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and first-degree murder, which is the most serious charge in the Criminal Code.
Queen’s Bench Justice Sadie Bond has reserved her verdict until later this year.
“This story is one of pure evil,” defence lawyer Mike Cook said in his closing arguments. But he insisted there is, at bare minimum, a reasonable doubt Cushnie was involved.
“We don’t convict people on suspicious evidence,” he argued. He reminded Bond she can’t convict even if she thinks Cushnie “might or even probably” was involved.
Four people have already been convicted of their roles in the 2007 attack that killed Radocaj, a former pro wrestler known as the Croatian Giant.
Melody Sanford, the victim’s wife, and Donald Richard, Cushnie’s son, were found guilty of first-degree murder following trials. Christopher Houle and Daniel Richard, Cushnie’s nephew, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder. All four are serving life sentences.
The Crown is now seeking to make Cushnie the fifth and final accused to go down.
“There are inconsistencies within her own answers. A lot of backtracking, a lot of inconsistencies,” prosecutor Mark Kantor told court Friday. “She’s getting tripped up on her own lies.”
He urged Bond to trust the evidence provided at trial from several of the co-accused who suggested Cushnie was fully aware of what was happening and even helped “coax” her own son into the plot.
But Cook said their testimony should be dismissed, especially that of Sanford.
“She is a greedy killer who wanted her slain husband’s estate — the husband she caused to be slain,” said Cook. “Miss Sanford is an expert liar, to the point of being pathological.”
Cushnie took the witness stand in her own defence earlier this week, insisting she was kept in the dark while her friends and family members plotted Radocaj’s demise.
Radocaj, 43, was beaten to death only weeks after he married Sanford. He filed documents just weeks before his death in August 2007, claiming Sanford “tricked” him into a fraudulent wedding because she was after his money. He also expressed fears she and others may try to hurt him.
Cushnie described in court how she hosted several gatherings at her home in the summer of 2007 where she saw Sanford engaged in conversations with the other people who would ultimately be charged and convicted. But Cushnie insists she was more focused on serving her guests food and alcohol than on what they were talking about.
She admits allowing Sanford to stay at her place when the woman began complaining Radocaj was being physically and emotionally abusive. Cushnie said Sanford was also claiming Radocaj had abused her daughter from another marriage.
Cushnie admits opening a bank account under her name in which Sanford deposited $6,500. The Crown has alleged that forms part of the murder conspiracy. Cushnie insists she was just allowing her friend to hide money from Radocaj.
Cushnie told court she saw her son and Sanford kissing in the hours after Radocaj had died but before she claims she knew it had happened. She believed the pair had actually started to form a romantic relationship, not that they were celebrating a murder.
Cook also asked why Cushnie repeatedly called her son a “bad, bad boy,” including shortly after Radocaj was killed. Cushnie said that’s always been her nickname for him, based on a song they both like by Nazareth.
She admitted seeing Sanford burning a bag of items she later learned contained evidence of the murder — but claims she had no idea what was inside it.
Cushnie was previously found guilty, only to have the verdict overturned on appeal based on errors made by the judge in linking some of the evidence against her to the co-accused.
www.mikeoncrime.com
Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.
Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.