Heritage tag rankles developers

Claim designation of 'flea-bag' Vendome Hotel would hinder Fort Street makeover

Advertisement

Advertise with us

The proposed designation of the Vendome Hotel as a heritage property has ruffled local business interests who have their eye on a major redevelopment of Fort Street.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $75*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

Monthly Digital Subscription

$4.99/week*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/09/2016 (3524 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The proposed designation of the Vendome Hotel as a heritage property has ruffled local business interests who have their eye on a major redevelopment of Fort Street.

Developer Armin Martens and hotel owners Rick Bel and Ida Albo tried to block the heritage designation of the 118-year-old Vendome Hotel at a civic committee meeting last week, arguing the designation could jeopardize development plans for the street.

“There are no plans at this point in time but the short answer, if there were a heritage designation on that building, it would kill any future plans or any possible plans for that site,” said Frank Sherlock, an executive vice-president at Martens’ development trust, Artis REIT, which owns the west side of Main Street between Portage and Graham avenues — the former Trizec building, the underground Winnipeg Square and parkade, the adjoining Royal Bank building at 220 Portage, and plans for a $165-million, 40-storey tower at the southwest corner of Main and Graham, at 300 Main.

PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
The city’s property and development committee has recommended city council designate the Vendome Hotel a heritage property.
PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS The city’s property and development committee has recommended city council designate the Vendome Hotel a heritage property.

Martens, Bel and Albo sent a representative, Syd Storey, to the Sept. 20 meeting of the property and development committee to oppose the heritage designation of the Vendome, located at 308 Fort St., — which overlooks the backside of Martens’ Main Street property.

Bel and Albo already own the former Carlton Club, in the same block at 280 Fort, which they purchased in 2012 and redeveloped. Storey said the group is looking at purchasing the Vendome and other adjacent properties.

Sherlock and Bel confirmed they wanted the committee to postpone a decision on the Vendome for at least a couple of months. However, councillors on the committee endorsed the designation, based on the recommendation of the city’s historical building and resources committee. The designation still needs to be considered by council.

Sherlock said the hotel is an eyesore smack dab in the middle of a one-block stretch of downtown that is ripe for redevelopment, but neither Sherlock nor Bel would elaborate on how they’d like to see the area developed

“It’s right smack across the street from us in a very commercial area,” Sherlock said. “It doesn’t fit in well with Portage and Main. It’s a flea-bag hotel. It’s not a very compatible use in a commercial business district.”

Vendome owner Doug Romanik didn’t attend the committee meeting but had signed documents indicating his opposition to the designation. Romanik did not return requests for an interview.

Storey told the committee the Vendome property is key to a potential redevelopment of Fort Street by Martens and Bel and Albo.

“Rick (Bel) looked at it and thought maybe there is an opportunity here to do a land assembly and part and parcel of that would be the restoration or redevelopment, which could be demolition, of the Vendome,” Storey said. “That’s not to say the building (the Vendome) has to be demolished. One of the options we’re looking at is redevelopment into a night club, possibly a craft brewery. There’s a lot of opportunities for it and then as you go farther south down the street, there might be the opportunities for another tower, for an office tower…

“There’s a lot of different opportunities, there’s even a chance of cantilevering over the Carlton Club. There’s a lot of different opportunities down the road.”

Storey said the group has had preliminary discussions with CentreVenture Development Corp. and there is interest from other property owners in the area to participate in redevelopment.

At last week’s committee meeting, Storey said Martens, Bel and Albo didn’t think the property merited a heritage designation and, such a designation would likely complicate a redevelopment plan or make it more expensive.

“We’re concerned that by designating it, it may limit, restrict or curtail development opportunities in and around it,” Storey told the committee. “If it’s envisioned to be part of the land assembly, then the designation might cause of lack of flexibility… Lay this matter over until the adjacent property owners have a chance to review some redevelopment opportunities for the entire street, being from Graham to Portage.”

Storey said Fort Street is prime for redevelopment given what is taking place adjacent to it.

“We are in the process of gathering different development concepts on how some or all of these buildings could be linked together or redeveloped,” Storey said. “There is going to be a lot of residential at the end of Fort Street and Graham — you’ve got Sky Condo and 300 Main — there will be a huge number of people living and working down at Fort and Graham. Any development that can be done on the street that gets to our main thoroughfare and our iconic Portage and Main would be very positive.”

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

History

Updated on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:01 AM CDT: Adds photo

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES