Indigenous, newcomers decry planned jump in bus fare
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75 per week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel anytime.
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/11/2017 (1950 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Groups of Indigenous and newcomers who ride city buses are protesting the proposed 25-cent Winnipeg Transit fare hike outlined in the 2018 civic budget.
The fare increase will disproportionately affect low-income people whose monthly budgets are already stretched thin with rent and food costs, said Seid Oumar of the Manitoba Association of Newcomer Serving Organizations.
“To them, it’s dollars and cents,” said Joseph Kornelson, chair of Functional Transit Winnipeg, referring to the city and provincial governments.
“But route cuts mean parts of the city become inaccessible for transit riders.”
The advocacy groups are calling on the city to make an affordable fare option available for low-income families who rely on the bus.
The 25-cent fare hike introduced in the preliminary 2018 budget released last week is 20 cents higher than the customary annual hike of five cents.
Transit also identified up to 23 routes that could see a reduction in bus services effective June. Details of the service reductions will be disclosed before council votes on the city budget Dec. 12.
With files from Aldo Santin
Erik Pindera reports for the city desk, with a particular focus on crime and justice.