Biopsy performed on senior after family expressed concern over lengthy wait
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75 per week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel anytime.
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 14/01/2019 (1531 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
An 81-year-old man suspected of having cancer has received a biopsy after his family went public last week over the extraordinarily long wait for the procedure.
George Myer was given the test nearly four months after his physician suspected he had cancer.
After his situation was brought to light, the head of CancerCare Manitoba, Dr. Sri Navaratnam, said she was “very disheartened” to learn of the long wait.
She urged patients and their families to take advantage of the organization’s patient care navigation services. Phone numbers are available on CancerCare Manitoba’s website.
Kathryn Braun, who brought her father’s situation to light last Tuesday with the aid of Liberal MLA Jon Gerrard, said her dad received the biopsy on Friday. Results are not expected for two weeks.
Navaratnam said last week that when cancer care teams are employed, patients begin treatment within 60 days of the suspicion of cancer two-thirds of the time. Braun said patient navigators had not been involved in Myer’s care.