Manslaughter verdict in drug debt slaying

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A Winnipeg man who killed his cocaine dealer following a debt dispute and hid the body underneath his home's porch has been found guilty of manslaughter.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/11/2019 (2455 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Winnipeg man who killed his cocaine dealer following a debt dispute and hid the body underneath his home’s porch has been found guilty of manslaughter.

James Morris, 42, stood trial for second-degree murder in the Jan. 3, 2015, killing of 36-year-old Christophur Baur. In finding him guilty of the reduced charge of manslaughter, jurors rejected Morris’s claim he was acting in self-defence, but found he did not have the required intent to kill when he beat Baur with a bat and slashed his neck open.

Morris appeared stoic in court, and showed no visible change in emotion as the verdict was delivered Thursday afternoon.

Christophur Baur was killed in January 2015.
Christophur Baur was killed in January 2015.

Jurors deliberated nearly 10 hours before reaching a verdict.

Morris remains in custody. He will return to court for sentencing Feb. 3.

Jurors heard testimony Baur visited Morris’s Magnus Avenue home the night of the killing to collect a $200 drug debt when a violent struggle ended with Baur’s death. Morris wrapped Baur’s body in plastic and hid it underneath his porch, where it was discovered by police six weeks later.

In testimony last week, Morris told jurors Baur became angry when he said he had no money, and threatened him with violence from his drug-dealing superiors. Morris said he shoved Baur, causing him to stumble backward and knock his head on a doorpost. Baur, he said, grabbed a baseball bat that was by the door and struck him in the head.

Morris said he wrenched the bat from Morris and hit him on the head before Baur managed to shove him down the basement stairs.

Morris said he feared Baur was going to beat him to death with the bat. He said he jumped on Baur’s back and tried to choke him, before slashing his throat with what he thought was a knife.

A pathologist confirmed it was that injury, which severed Baur’s jugular vein and carotid artery, that killed him.

Prosecutors urged jurors to reject Morris’s claim of self-defence, arguing by the time Baur was slashed in the neck, he had already sustained several other injuries that would have incapacitated him or possibly rendered him unconscious, including multiple blunt-force blows to the head, several broken fingers, and a stab wound to the neck.

Baur had also been strangled with a shoe lace, something Morris claimed at trial he had no memory of doing.

“There would be no basis for the accused to think force was being used against him or that Christophur Baur posed any kind of threat at the time of death,” Crown attorney Mike Himmelman said in a closing argument Tuesday.

dean.pritchard@freepress.mb.ca

Dean Pritchard

Dean Pritchard
Courts reporter

Dean Pritchard is courts reporter for the Free Press. He has covered the justice system since 1999, working for the Brandon Sun and Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 2019. Read more about Dean.

Every piece of reporting Dean produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES