Bombers’ narrow defeat could be crucial kick in pants

Nobody’s perfect. Not even the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Opinion

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/08/2022 (1469 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Nobody’s perfect. Not even the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Thursday’s stunning 20-17 loss to the Montreal Alouettes at raucous IG Field will no doubt leave a bitter taste in the collective mouth of the football club as well as its fans. The march toward history ended with a thud. Or, more appropriately, a shank off the foot of kicker Marc “Uh, Oh” Liegghio that would have wrapped up a 10th consecutive victory in regulation time, followed by a clank off the uprights that would have extended overtime.

Of course, there was plenty of other blame to go around. The normally calm, cool and collected Zach Collaros, under siege all night, coughed up a costly fumble in the waning minutes just when it looked like the Blue & Gold were driving for the kill shot. Then the Bombers vaunted defence went offside at the worst possible time, giving the underdog visitors a new lease on life.

Like we said, nobody’s perfect. And it turns out you really can’t win ‘em all. But that’s actually a very good thing for head coach Mike O’Shea’s crew. In fact, it says here this could ultimately make them an even more dangerous outfit than they already were as they attempt to capture a third Grey Cup in a row and cement their legacy as a dynasty.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS Montreal Alouettes defensive back Kenneth Durden (45) reacts as kicker Marc Liegghio (13) watches his field goal attempt go wide during overtime.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Montreal Alouettes defensive back Kenneth Durden (45) reacts as kicker Marc Liegghio (13) watches his field goal attempt go wide during overtime.

About three weeks ago I was chatting with a CFL employee who said something that made me literally laugh out loud: “The Bombers really need to lose a game here soon,” he declared.

Say what?

As he went on to explain, a little adversity along the way would actually help the cause, especially as the games take on bigger meaning down the stretch.

The Winnipeg squad appeared to have other ideas, routinely coming out on top even when it wasn’t at its best. Last week in Montreal, for example, the Bombers played a lousy first quarter on the road, had five Collaros turnovers (three in the air, two on the ground), somehow entered the final 15 minutes tied …and ended up winning 35-20.

It was honestly starting to look too easy.

It was honestly starting to look too easy. Almost automatic, especially in the fourth quarter where they had outscored opponents by a ridiculous margin of 80-38, suggesting they definitely have been saving their best for last. And it looked like that trend was going to continue in the rematch with the Als, which was deadlocked 10-10 through 45 minutes.

The final frame began in predictable fashion. A Collaros scramble for 11 yards. A Collaros pass to Greg Ellingson for 25 yards. A Collaros strike to Drew Wolitarsky for 12 yards. And a Brady Oliveira run for 19 yards into the end zone. Four plays covering 67 yards in 107 seconds. Ho-hum.

We’d seen this movie plenty of times before. And it wasn’t going to end well for the Alouettes. Game, set, match, right? Wrong.

In an unexpected plot twist, a club that could do no wrong suddenly couldn’t do anything right, and the chance to match a franchise-best 10-0 start (from 1960) or perhaps take a run at the CFL’s all-time record of 12 consecutive wins to start a campaign (Calgary in 1948) came up painfully short. And, if we’re being specific, wide left.

ETHAN CAIRNS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ kicker Marc Liegghio (13) misses the kick to retie the game against the Alouettes.

ETHAN CAIRNS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ kicker Marc Liegghio (13) misses the kick to retie the game against the Alouettes.

And so they’re left with a blemish, one that will probably sting even more with an extra week to ruminate over what went wrong. The Bombers finally get their first bye after an absurd start to the 2022 season, one that has seen them criss-cross the country with the busiest schedule in the three-down loop, often having to play with very little rest or practise time between games.

Despite that challenge, including plenty of injuries that were piling up, Winnipeg never let it become an excuse. Or a distraction. Which speaks to the incredible culture that has been built in the locker room, one that starts at the very top with the likes of Wade Miller, Kyle Walters and O’Shea and trickles down to hard-nosed veteran players like Collaros, Adam Bighill and Willie Jefferson who refused to let complacency become a thing.

As a quick aside, O’Shea is currently in the final year of his three-year contract, and it’s curious that a renewal hasn’t been announced. I suspect it’s nothing for locals to panic about, but something to keep an eye on. We know Edmonton previously tried to poach the bench boss last year without success, and every other CFL team would benefit from having him calling the shots. That said, I wouldn’t bet on him going anywhere. Whereas some might view his current status as being a “lame duck”, this is more about everyone in the organization being hyper-focused on the task at hand.

Every sports franchise strives to achieve what the Bombers have created. Very few actually accomplish it.

Every sports franchise strives to achieve what the Bombers have created. Very few actually accomplish it. Winnipeg’s crew should be commended. Enjoy the next week away from the gridiron, fellas. You deserve it.

But when they re-convene, I suspect we’re going to see a rather surly bunch, one with a Bison-sized chip on the collective shoulders based on how their most recent outing ended. And that’s a very bad thing for the rest of the league.

Sure, running the table would be nice. But just ask the 2007 New England Patriots how that worked out for them. They became the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, only to have their historical run end in crushing fashion with a Super Bowl loss to the New York Giants.

Better to identify potential problems now — clearly Winnipeg’s kicking game is a source of concern — than when it matters most.

ETHAN CAIRNS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESSKicker Marc Liegghio punts to the Montreal Alouettes during the first half of their game.

ETHAN CAIRNS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Kicker Marc Liegghio punts to the Montreal Alouettes during the first half of their game.

A reminder that the Bombers lost seven games in 2019 and went on to win it all. They had three setbacks last year before going back to back. Gone are the days when fans are simply hoping the Bombers can get into the playoffs and maybe make some noise. Now it’s all about how they perform on the biggest stage, meaning the games in November matter a whole lot more than ones in August.

Had the Bombers headed into this break 10-0, my biggest concern was how rest might lead to some rust. Now I expect they will be running on all cylinders for the stretch drive, especially with the Montreal meltdown now in the back of their minds. Nothing will be taken for granted or assumed.

A little short-term pain might, ultimately, lead to long-term gain.

mike.mcintyre@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @mikemcintyrewpg

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre is a sports reporter whose primary role is covering the Winnipeg Jets. After graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College in 1995, he spent two years gaining experience at the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in 1997, where he served on the crime and justice beat until 2016. Read more about Mike.

Every piece of reporting Mike produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Bombers’ narrow defeat could be crucial kick in pants

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Bombers’ narrow defeat could be crucial kick in pants

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Friday, Aug. 12, 2022

Nobody’s perfect. Not even the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Read
Friday, Aug. 12, 2022

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 5:55 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Preview

U.S. tariffs pause elicits relief, frustration in Manitoba

Gabrielle Piché 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Fifty per cent tariffs weren’t the only thing paused in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute.

Read
Yesterday at 6:10 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |