Man charged with stabbing three people
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Monthly Digital Subscription
$0 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*No charge for 4 weeks then price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.75/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
*Your next subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $16.99 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $23.99 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/09/2022 (1181 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Winnipeg police have charged a man in the stabbing of three people in a Flora Avenue home Friday night.
Police, including tactical officers armed with long guns, were called about a man trying to stab people at the residence on the 700 block, near Parr Street, at about 7:30 p.m.
Officers found three injured people and began to give them medical care, the Winnipeg Police Service said Tuesday.
A woman in her 20s and a man in his 30s were taken to hospital in unstable condition, later upgraded to stable. A second woman in her 20s was taken to hospital in stable condition.
Officers arrested a suspect near the intersection of McKenzie Street and Selkirk Avenue.
The man was suffering from a stab wound and was taken to hospital in unstable condition, where he was treated and released to police.
WPS spokesman Const. Jay Murray said it was unclear how the suspect sustained his injury.
Police said the suspect had been in the home with the victims, who he knew, where he drank alcohol to the point of intoxication and got into a dispute.
“The (first) stabbing initially occurred towards one person, then it sounds like there was a series of altercations that followed from that point,” Murray said. “The stabbings didn’t all occur in the same moment, but were in close proximity and in a short period of time.”
A 30-year-old Winnipeg man has been charged with three counts of assault with a weapon and five counts of failing to comply with conditions of a release order.
The accused has no prior convictions, court records show, but is before the court on unrelated charges of assault, assault with a weapon, mischief and theft for offences allegedly committed last spring.
— with files from Dean Pritchard
erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca
Twitter: @erik_pindera
Erik Pindera is a reporter for the Free Press, mostly focusing on crime and justice. The born-and-bred Winnipegger attended Red River College Polytechnic, wrote for the community newspaper in Kenora, Ont. and reported on television and radio in Winnipeg before joining the Free Press in 2020. Read more about Erik.
Every piece of reporting Erik produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.
Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.
Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.