Arrest in sex attack outside Law Courts

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A man has been arrested after a woman was sexually assaulted near the entrance to the Law Courts building last month.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 05/04/2023 (1232 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A man has been arrested after a woman was sexually assaulted near the entrance to the Law Courts building last month.

The 26-year-old man is facing charges of sexual assault and robbery after he was arrested in the 200 block of St. John’s Avenue on Tuesday. He was released from custody on an undertaking.

A 20-year-old woman was walking from St. Mary Avenue and Kennedy Street to the Law Courts building when a stranger began to follow her at about 5:45 a.m. on March 17. He grabbed from behind in front of the building’s entrance.

The suspect touched her lower body while she was on the ground, the Winnipeg Police Service said. The suspect fled after the victim screamed.

The woman was taken to hospital in stable condition and treated for minor injuries. Police wouldn’t comment last month on whether she works at the Law Courts building.

The WPS released a description of the suspect that night.

“We do believe the attack is predatory in nature. There’s always a possibility there may be other victims,” WPS spokesman Const. Claude Chancy said on March 20.

The WPS released an image of a suspect and an updated description on March 22.

WPS HANDOUT
                                The WPS released an image of a suspect and an updated description on March 22 and additional images and a video of a suspect on March 29.

WPS HANDOUT

The WPS released an image of a suspect and an updated description on March 22 and additional images and a video of a suspect on March 29.

Police released additional images and a video of a suspect on March 29.

— Staff

Report Error Submit a Tip

Local

LOAD LOCAL ARTICLES