Final report on Link recommends service improvements: province
Advertisement
Read this article for free:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Digital Subscription
One year of digital access for only $75*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $5.77 plus GST every four weeks. After 52 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.
Monthly Digital Subscription
$4.99/week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Billed as $19.95 plus GST every four weeks. Cancel any time.
To continue reading, please subscribe:
Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional
$1 for the first 4 weeks*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.
Read unlimited articles for free today:
or
Already have an account? Log in here »
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/07/2023 (1051 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A final report concerning service delivery and financial accountability at one of the province’s largest child welfare service providers was made public Thursday by the provincial government.
In February, Manitoba Families contracted with Deloitte to conduct an independent review of the Link (formerly known as Macdonald Youth Services), after employees wrote to Families Minister Rochelle Squires to raise concerns about the taxpayer-supported agency.
Three workers who spoke to the Free Press earlier this year claimed a crisis is hurting the quality of service to youth and families, saying Link executives should be replaced by Indigenous-led leadership, given about 80 per cent of its clients are Indigenous.
Mike Deal / Winnipeg Free Press Files
Families Minister Rochelle Squires.
The government-ordered review was limited to services, management and financial practices, and did not investigate individual claims of employee harm or wrong-doing, the province said.
It focused on agency services the province has contracted with Link to provide to children, youth and families.
Squires told the MLAs in the house in April she had received an interim report from Deloitte.
The final report recommends improvements in terms of policies and practices, but did not refer any safety concerns to the child and youth services division of Manitoba Families, a government news release said Thursday.
One of the report’s recommendations is to create a human resources committee of the Link board to focus on employee compensation, staff recruitment and retention.
Of 19 recommendations concerning financial management, 14 have been implemented; six of nine recommendations to improve service delivery have been carried out, it said.
Manitoba Families will continue to monitor Link’s work to address the findings and recommendations in the report, the release said.
The Manitoba advocate for children and youth is also looking into concerns about Link first raised by a group of employees.