‘Ripple effect’: MPI cancels driver tests amid labour action

Harold Tabin was preparing to take a budding Winnipeg university student for her driver’s licence test Monday, so she could get herself to school next month.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/08/2023 (1088 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Harold Tabin was preparing to take a budding Winnipeg university student for her driver’s licence test Monday, so she could get herself to school next month.

But the 18-year-old’s hopes were dashed when about 1,700 Manitoba Public Insurance employees hit the picket lines at 7:30 a.m. — cancelling all driver tests for the foreseeable future.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                Harold Tabin, owner of A Confidence Driving School, said an 18-year-old student he has been teaching for the past six weeks had her scheduled driving test cancelled on Monday.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Harold Tabin, owner of A Confidence Driving School, said an 18-year-old student he has been teaching for the past six weeks had her scheduled driving test cancelled on Monday.

“She was hoping to be able to drive to university. That’s why she wanted to get a licence and was taking lessons during the summer,” said Tabin, a driver instructor for A Confidence Driving School, said Monday, hours after workers went on strike.

“That won’t happen for a while now.”

MPI announced Sunday it was cancelling all driver testing, estimating, adjusting and driver fitness appointments Monday, as about 1,700 members of the Manitoba Government and General Employees’ Union walked off the job.

The Crown auto insurer said anyone whose appointment has been cancelled will have to reschedule.

Tabin said that could drive more problems, depending on how long the strike lasts.

“The backlog for tests had been three months, but they have been able to bring that down to half that,” he said. “You could even get an appointment in two weeks.

“This has a ripple effect. They might have caught up to the backlog, but this will add back to that backlog.”

“This has a ripple effect. They might have caught up to the backlog, but this will add back to that backlog.”–Harold Tabin

Meantime, some local auto body shops were expecting business to ramp up.

MPI said as long as the strike is ongoing, motorists wanting to make claims for damaged vehicles can take them to any MPI-accredited repair shop.

John Vernaus, president of Vernaus Auto Body in Winnipeg, said by mid-morning Monday one motorist who had an appointment at an MPI collision centre had transferred over to his shop to get an estimate.

Vernaus expects more will follow suit, as well as motorists with new claims. “We do 33 per cent of the estimates now, and we will probably go to 80 to 90 per cent during the strike. I don’t think there will be any disruptions for people.”

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Johnny Vernaus, president of Vernaus Auto Body, inspects a frame damaged vehicle covered by MPI in his shop on Higgins in Winnipeg. He feels shops like his will go from doing 30 per cent of estimates to 80-90 per cent during the strike.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Johnny Vernaus, president of Vernaus Auto Body, inspects a frame damaged vehicle covered by MPI in his shop on Higgins in Winnipeg. He feels shops like his will go from doing 30 per cent of estimates to 80-90 per cent during the strike.

However, MPI strike or not, the real wait will come between after the estimate is done and when the vehicle will be repaired.

“We are still booking four months out,” Vernaus said.

“But we triage it when we assess it. If you can’t drive the vehicle, then we would do it right away. If you have hail damage, you can drive it, so you can wait a month or two.”

Denis Cloutier, executive director of Automotive Trades Association of Manitoba, said motorists with damaged vehicles can go to an accredited body shop without having to get a claim number from MPI.

“The call centre is only taking calls if it is a total loss or personal injury,” Cloutier said.

“If your vehicle is drivable, instead of calling MPI, you can call an accredited collision centre. The most important message to the public is to set a realistic expectation: even before the strike, you could still not get your car in for a few weeks to get repaired.”

“The call centre is only taking calls if it is a total loss or personal injury.”–Denis Cloutier, Automotive Trades Association of Manitoba

Cloutier said there are 232 accredited repair shops across the province.

Meanwhile, insurance brokers don’t expect a surge of new business as they have been handling licence renewals and insurance payments for MPI for decades.

“We’ve been doing this since 1970,” said Grant Wainikka, chief executive officer of Insurance Brokers Association of Manitoba.

“It’s business as usual right now. We remain open and are very happy and pleased to help out clients.”

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Build the resources to help children with speech

Britney Morrish and Bonnie Bricker 6 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Imagine your daughter says her first word later than her friends do. You wait, hoping she will catch up. By age three, she still is not putting words together the way other kids her age are. Your doctor refers you to a speech-language pathologist. You expect a call within a few weeks.

Instead, you wait. Six months. A year. Two years.

By the time your daughter is finally seen, she is heading into kindergarten. She still struggles to tell her teacher she needs the bathroom. She still cannot explain when something hurts. She still cannot join in the games her classmates play, because those games need more words than she has.

As a parent, your anxiety grows, the frustration leading to sleepless nights worrying about how your child’s life will be impacted by this lack of support. The rest of your family and circle of friends is deeply affected by this potential crisis, they can see you struggling, you feel the stain of stigma attaching itself to your precious daughter. Where can you turn to help your child?

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Ramifications of the high cost of pet care

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Ramifications of the high cost of pet care

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

They are widely considered to be, as the timeless adage reminds, our best friends. In most cases and contexts, there’s almost nothing we wouldn’t do to ensure they’re safe, healthy and happy.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Canada, U.S. both say they made gains in new trade deal that averted tariffs

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: 8:14 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - Canada-U.S. Minister Dominic LeBlanc smiled widely beside U.S. President Donald Trump's trade czar in Washington on Wednesday as they touted a draft deal which appears to have averted a new round of punishing tariffs on Canada.

United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said he feels confident the agreement will protect American workers and jobs while strengthening the North American market, making the continent a manufacturing and energy powerhouse.

"We certainly, I think, have eliminated some of the irritants that we've had over the past year," he said, "We also are taking a strong foot forward."

Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that the new deal reinforces and builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S. 

Read
Updated: 8:14 AM CDT