Annual Sikh community parade a celebration of generosity and diversity

Advertisement

Advertise with us

Downtown streets were closed and thousands of Sikh Manitobans gathered in Memorial Park to hold the annual Nagar Kirtan parade Sunday.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/09/2023 (1085 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Downtown streets were closed and thousands of Sikh Manitobans gathered in Memorial Park to hold the annual Nagar Kirtan parade Sunday.

The traditional event centres around the anniversary of Sikh holy scriptures. The scripture is placed in a parade float and hymns are read aloud as the float travels around the procession and blesses bystanders, followed by speeches and music. It’s also a celebration of generosity, one of the three main pillars of Sikh culture — all who visited Memorial Park Sunday afternoon, no matter their religion or cultural background, were offered free food and drink ranging from pizza to pakora.

“I think that a key aspect of (Sikh culture) is being able to give back,” said organizer Jujar Brar, the vice president of the Sikh Society of Manitoba.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Members of the Sikh community place offerings at the Nagar Kirtan parade, an annual celebration of the Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of Sikhism in downtown Winnipeg Sunday.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Members of the Sikh community place offerings at the Nagar Kirtan parade, an annual celebration of the Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of Sikhism in downtown Winnipeg Sunday.

Winnipeg’s Nagar Kirtan parade has been growing steadily since it began over 20 years ago. After a two-year pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the number of visitors exploded when the parade returned in 2022. There could be 20,000 people who attend the event throughout the day, Brar said, with 100 volunteers keeping the parade afloat.

“It’s definitely been easier this year compared to last year. As the years go on, the size of the event grows each and every year. And after taking a few years off, due to the pandemic, we came back much larger than ever last year,” he said.

Northbound and southbound Memorial Boulevard from York Avenue to Broadway was closed for most of the day Sunday, as was York Avenue eastbound from Memorial Boulevard to Garry Street, and Garry southbound from York to Broadway.

Holding Winnipeg’s celebration in the heart of downtown is important to organizers, Brar said.

“Part of the reason that we hold the celebration downtown is it’s really a celebration of the diversity in our community as well,” he said. “How we are embraced by the community here in the city and how we embrace it right back.”

At Memorial Park, Jashanpreet Dhami was taking in the festivities. He arrived in Winnipeg from India in January 2022, and said he was looking forward to gathering with other Sikh Manitobans this year.

“If we were in India, there are so many occasions like these over there. But over here in Canada and Winnipeg, there is only one day from from the whole year from which we all gather and celebrate this religious ceremony,” he said.

Dhami said he was happy to see Winnipeggers who may not be fully immersed in Sikh culture taking part. The scripture and its blessings are for everyone, he said, regardless of religious belief.

“The God is one, we all know that. It’s not like, if you pray (elsewhere), it will not give you blessings because of your different culture,” he said. “We are all the same in the eyes of God.”

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                All who visited Memorial Park Sunday afternoon, no matter their religion or cultural background, were offered free food and drink.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

All who visited Memorial Park Sunday afternoon, no matter their religion or cultural background, were offered free food and drink.

Dhami’s friend, Jashanpreet Jassal, is also from India and arrived in Winnipeg in 2012. He said the parade was a welcome chance to get back to his cultural roots.

“I’m not as religious as these guys, because I’ve been living away for a long time. But it is still important to me, because it’s my culture and my religion,” he said.

Both said they were thankful to city leadership for supporting the festival every year.

“It’s a really proud moment for us. We’re celebrating, we gathered this many people over here. It’s a pleasure for us that the government allows all these kinds of things,” Dhami said.

“This shows the unity and diversity of Canada.”

The Free Press is committed to covering faith in Manitoba through our Religion in the News project. This reporting continues because readers like you step forward to fund it.

Donate now to support our reporting on religion.

Your donation is eligible for a charitable tax receipt. BECOME A FAITH JOURNALISM SUPPORTER

Malak Abas

Malak Abas
Reporter

Malak Abas is a city reporter at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg’s North End, she led the campus paper at the University of Manitoba before joining the Free Press in 2020. Read more about Malak.

Every piece of reporting Malak produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

The Free Press acknowledges the financial support it receives from members of the city’s faith community, which makes our coverage of religion possible.

More Stories

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Swede leads Manitoba Open, Winnipegger sits 33rd

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

From Lars-Erik Sjoberg to Thomas Steen to Viggo Bjorck, there’s no shortage of Swedish athletes who have quickly become fan favourites here in Winnipeg.

Daniel Svard is hoping to add his name to the growing list.

Although he wields a golf club and not a hockey stick, the 23-year-old from Stockholm is opening plenty of eyes this week at Elmhurst. He carries a two-shot lead into Sunday’s final round of the Manitoba Open, looking to close out his first professional victory in his just his fourth career tournament.

Svard fired a six-under 66 on Saturday to move to 14-under through 54 holes of the PGA Tour Americas event.

Read
Yesterday at 6:53 PM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Preview

Provincial teacher watchdog releases names, details in three disciplinary matters

Maggie Macintosh 6 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

An Interlake teacher with a history of “intimidating” outbursts has been ordered to participate in counselling and study anger-management strategies after he made a child cry.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:27 AM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT