Maurice likes look of his former team Ex-Jets coach likes team culture, says Lowry makes great captain

Paul Maurice loves what the Winnipeg Jets have done with the place.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 13/10/2023 (1042 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Paul Maurice loves what the Winnipeg Jets have done with the place.

Specifically, naming Adam Lowry as new captain and signing Mark Scheifele and Connor Hellebuyck to long-term contract extensions.

“It’s very fitting for the entire culture that’s built here,” the former Jets bench boss told the Free Press on Friday afternoon.

Maurice may be gone, now in his second year at the helm of the Florida Panthers, but the connection and relationships he built around here run deep. Getting to see so many familiar faces and participate in another Jets home-opener, albeit it from the visiting bench, had him feeling nostalgic.

“This is a special place, Winnipeg is,” said Maurice, who spent parts of nine seasons here.

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES
                                Former Winnipeg Jets head coach, Paul Maurice, is in his second year at the helm of the Florida Panthers .

MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

Former Winnipeg Jets head coach, Paul Maurice, is in his second year at the helm of the Florida Panthers .

“It’s not like any other market in the league. It’s a small-market that lost their team. And the people that come here fall in love with the place, and the fans embrace the players. And the players embrace the fans, which is what you’re seeing here with the Adam Lowry’s, Mark and Connor. It’s a great thing for the franchise.”

Of course, Maurice and company hope to spoil Saturday’s party by grabbing their first win of the year after suffering a 2-0 loss to the Minnesota Wild on Thursday night. Florida would love to re-capture some of last spring’s magic where they just made the playoffs, then went to the Stanley Cup Final before ultimately falling to the Vegas Golden Knights.

“A good decision in the playoffs is still a good decision now. That’s really what our goal is, to play a game that we can replicate,” said Maurice.

“It was an incredible run, an incredible grind, so they learned in that process. We had big turnover here. We’ve got a lot of new faces in our lineup, some of it is injury-based, so getting the new guys on board to a style of game is made easier (by what was accomplished last year). “

Around the glass

Spencer Knight rolled into Winnipeg last Dec. 6 as the starting goaltender of the Panthers. He got the early hook in an eventual 5-2 loss to the Jets — and it’s safe to say life hasn’t been the same since.

Knight, the 13th-overall pick from 2019, has only appeared in six NHL games since (two more in December, two in January, two in February). In a recent interview with the Hockey News, Knight detailed how the plane ride out of Winnipeg that night was a turning point in a secret battle he was fighting with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File
   Florida Panthers goaltender Spencer Knight.

AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, File

Florida Panthers goaltender Spencer Knight.

A fever, chills and incessant thoughts of contracting diseases and getting sick overwhelmed him to the point he began seeking help, eventually putting his professional pursuits on hold to enter NHL/NHL Players’ Association player assistance program.

Although he missed his club’s run to the Stanley Cup Final, Knight, 22, is in a much better place now as he tries to get his career back on track. He’s been loaned to the Panthers’ AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers, to build up his game and his confidence with the idea of eventually returning to Florida to team with current No. 1, Sergei Bobrovsky.

“He’s made great progress in his program. He feels good. He looked fantastic in training camp. But we need to put him in kind of a No. 1 position, a No. 1 role and then run his program and work on what he’s working on,” Maurice recently told reporters.


AP Photo/John Locher
Members of the Vegas Golden Knights watch as a Stanley Cup championship banner is raised during a ceremony before their game against the Seattle Kraken, Tuesday in Las Vegas.

AP Photo/John Locher

Members of the Vegas Golden Knights watch as a Stanley Cup championship banner is raised during a ceremony before their game against the Seattle Kraken, Tuesday in Las Vegas.

Stick taps to the Golden Knights organization for the way they handled the Stanley Cup banner raising on Tuesday night. The slot machine idea was fantastic and the entire production showed ingenuity.

While it’s important to remember it’s early, any thought of a lingering hangover after the first championship in franchise history have been put on the back burner with a 2-0 start after decisive victories over the Seattle Kraken and San Jose Sharks. Winnipegger Mark Stone chipped in a pair of assists in the season opener, while Oakbank product Brett Howden received a two-game suspension for a check to the head of Kraken winger (and former Jets forward) Brandon Tanev.

Vegas visits Winnipeg next Thursday and it will be interesting to see if Jets goalie Laurent Brossoit gets his first start of the season against his former team – or if he’s between the pipes on Tuesday when the Jets host P-L Dubois and the Los Angeles Kings.


They grow up so fast, don’t they?

Our good friends over at CapFriendly crunched the numbers earlier this week based on the opening-night rosters submitted by all 32 NHL clubs.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Gene J. Puskar
Pittsburgh Penguins' superstar Sid 'The Kid' Crosby, left, is captain of the NHL's oldest team while Alexander Ovechkin's Washington Capitals are the second-oldest.

THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP, Gene J. Puskar

Pittsburgh Penguins' superstar Sid 'The Kid' Crosby, left, is captain of the NHL's oldest team while Alexander Ovechkin's Washington Capitals are the second-oldest.

Turns out the Jets are not a young team. But they’re not an old one, either.

With an average age of 27.8, Winnipeg is tied with the Boston Bruins for 15th-overall in terms of average birthday candles on the cake.

The baby-faced Buffalo Sabres are the youngest guns at 25.5 (followed closely by the Montreal Canadiens and Columbus Blue Jackets), while the grizzled Pittsburgh Penguins are telling everyone to turn down the music and get off their lawn at 30.8 (the Washington Capitals and New York Islanders are right behind them).


Massive news in the Central Division on Friday as the Colorado Avalanche inked defenceman Devon Toews to a seven-year extension that includes an AAV of US $7.25 million.

Toews, 29, plays on the top pairing with Cale Makar and is the latest core piece to sign on the dotted line for the long term, joining Nathan MacKinnon, Valeri Nichushkin, Artturi Lehkonen and captain Gabe Landeskog, who is expected to miss a second consecutive season with a knee injury.

Toews was scheduled to become a UFA on July 1, but this takes away any uncertainty about his future. Top-line winger Mikko Rantanen is going to need a new deal before his contract expires at the end of the 2024-25 season, but this latest move leaves the Avalanche well positioned to be a force in the Western Conference for years to come.


The Connor Bedard era is off to a promising start.

The first-overall pick in the 2023 NHL Draft notched his first NHL point with an assist in his victorious debut against Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins, then recorded his first NHL goal in his second game in a loss against the Boston Bruins.

The sample size is small, but Bedard is averaging 21:37 of ice time per game and has already registered 11 shots on goal and 18 shot attempts. Bedard’s shot is one of his biggest weapons and he’s clearly found a way to use it in the early going.

The hype machine has been in full effect this week (just look at the size of the scrum surrounding Bedard followiwng the morning skate) and for good reason: the former Regina Pats star is incredibly talented and is handling the spotlight with incredible maturity. The projections of Bedard potentially being the next generational player brings with it some additional pressure, but he’s clearly a guy who is going to be fun to watch in the Central Division.

Bedard’s first NHL visit to Winnipeg will come on Dec. 2.


It’s been a big week for former Winnipeg Ice forward Zach Benson, who not only made the Buffalo Sabres opening-day roster but also made his NHL debut on Thursday against the New York Rangers.

The 13th overall pick in the 2023 NHL Draft took 17 shifts for 14:27 of ice time in his first game with the Sabres, finishing with two shots on goal. There were plenty of scouts who thought Benson could have been chosen in the Top-10 and after an excellent training camp, it’s now up to the skilled winger to show whether or not he’s ready to stick with the Sabres beyond nine games, which would trigger the first year of his entry-level contract.

mike.mcintyre@freepress.mb.ca | X: mikemcyintyrewpg

ken.wiebe@freepress.mb.ca | X: WiebesWorld

Mike McIntyre

Mike McIntyre
Reporter

Mike McIntyre grew up wanting to be a professional wrestler. But when that dream fizzled, he put all his brawn into becoming a professional writer.

Ken Wiebe

Ken Wiebe
Reporter

Raised in the booming metropolis of Altona, Man., Ken Wiebe grew up wanting to play in the NHL, but after realizing his hands were more adept at typing than scoring, he shifted his attention to cover his favourite sport as a writer.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read Preview

Mole Mobile on move for your dermatological needs

Sheldon Birnie 3 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

After soaking up the summer sun, there’s no better time to get a skin checkup.

This weekend, the Mole Mobile will set up shop at three Winnipeg Walmart locations. The mobile clinic, which receives support from the Canadian Dermatology Association, will have certified dermatologists on site to screen suspicious-looking moles or lesions for skin cancer on a first-come, first-served basis.

First launched in 2023 in Ontario, the Mole Mobile is intended to promote prevention and early detection of skin cancer. Last weekend, the clinic visited Brandon, Portage la Prairie and Selkirk, a first for Manitoba.

“We saw a number of patients who had spots that they weren’t sure if they were normal or not,” says Dr. Alexis Botkin, a local dermatologist working the Manitoba Mole Mobile stops. “It was wonderful to provide that skin screening for people who were on a wait list (to see a specialist), as well as those who don’t have a primary care provider.”

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

MOON ALERT: After 3:45 a.m. today there are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions. The moon is in Sagittarius.

ARIES (March 21-April 19)

You might be interested in unusual, powerful ideas. They might be mystical and idealistic. They might even be related to improving yourself somehow. Nevertheless, be aware this is also a mildly accident-prone day for you. Pay attention to everything you say and do.

TAURUS (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
11:56 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: 11:27 AM CDT