Bus ridership rises to pre-pandemic heights

The demand for bus service has jumped to its highest level since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, amid Winnipeg Transit driver shortages and route cancellations.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/10/2023 (1031 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The demand for bus service has jumped to its highest level since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, amid Winnipeg Transit driver shortages and route cancellations.

Since the beginning of August, the average number of weekday bus boardings has been about 91 per cent of ridership levels during the same period of 2019, according to Transit. It marks the highest point since the novel coronavirus sent usage plummeting in 2020.

Meanwhile, Transit is operating with a five per cent service reduction, due to a driver shortage, as well as an increase in the number and length of operator absences.

Transit officials warned last month routes could face an increased number of sudden disruptions. While it schedules spare drivers, some buses have routes cancelled for a short time when the number of drivers who call in absent exceeds the number available to fill in for them.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Since the beginning of August, average weekday bus ridership has been about 91 per cent of the levels during the same period of 2019 despite Winnipeg Transit operating with a five per cent service reduction, due to a driver shortage.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Since the beginning of August, average weekday bus ridership has been about 91 per cent of the levels during the same period of 2019 despite Winnipeg Transit operating with a five per cent service reduction, due to a driver shortage.

According to Transit, that happened to 49 individual buses over nine days between Sept. 1 and Oct. 20, up from eight buses over two days during the same period of 2022.

Coun. Janice Lukes, chairwoman of city council’s public works committee, said increased absences and a widespread labour shortage are combining to create a “perfect storm” that makes it tough meet rider demand.

“It’s a compounding nightmare… (Drivers) can go to any city and get a job… People want to take the bus, (but) we can’t find bus drivers,” said Lukes.

A few riders waiting at bus stops near city hall Tuesday said they have noticed routes being particularly busy, while some coped with missed pickups, as well.

“It’s a compounding nightmare… (Drivers) can go to any city and get a job… People want to take the bus, (but) we can’t find bus drivers”–Coun. Janice Lukes, chairwoman of city council’s public works committee

“I think it’s quite busy… Sometimes, I get in late for my school (and) for work also,” said Jagmeet Kaur.

Kaur noted she recently waited more than 20 minutes past the scheduled pickup time for a bus. “I feel that there should be more buses because (I am) a student and cannot afford a car.”

Husan Singh said he’s often unable to find a seat on packed buses and has also seen some pickup times appear to be missed.

However, another passenger stressed he’s very pleased with the service.

“Sometimes, it’s pretty full, but it’s good, it’s fast, it’s comfortable,” said Alex Ivanov.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Winnipeg Transit rider Jagmeet Kaur: “I think it’s quite busy… Sometimes, I get in late for my school (and) for work also.”

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Transit rider Jagmeet Kaur: “I think it’s quite busy… Sometimes, I get in late for my school (and) for work also.”

Winnipeg Transit director Greg Ewankiw said the service strives to avoid “did not operate” cancellations (its term for when absences exceed staff available to fill in), though he initially expected an even higher number this fall due to the persistent staff shortage.

“I would say that it’s better than what I was expecting… I think (that’s) really due to the efforts of our timekeepers and our bus operators, who have done enough overtime to keep us out of the higher numbers of DNO buses,” he said.

Ewankiw stressed the portion of lost daily service hours due to “did not operate” buses ranged from just .04 per cent to .84 per cent from Sept. 1 to Oct. 20.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
                                Husan Singh said he’s often unable to find a seat on packed buses.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Husan Singh said he’s often unable to find a seat on packed buses.

DNOs were also intermittent and limited to rush-hour periods, according to Transit.

Ewankiw said other service data also appears comparable to past years. “Our passing-up reports (when buses are too full to pickup waiting riders) are still less than what we would have seen in 2019, so we’re managing.”

For several months, Transit has noted labour shortages are making it much tougher to hire new drivers, raising the risk of sudden disruptions.

The City of Winnipeg has 897 active bus drivers now, falling about 95 short to operate a full fall schedule, spokeswoman Megan Benedictson said in an emailed statement.

Winnipeg Transit hired 118 drivers this year so far, but about 100 also quit or retired, making it difficult to chip away at the shortage, Ewankiw said.

He suspects concerns about split-shift schedules and safety and the need to work with the public at all times can prevent some potential candidates from applying.

“Being a bus operator, although it’s a rewarding job, it can be a difficult job,” said Ewankiw.

At this point, it’s not clear when full transit service could finally return to pre-pandemic levels, he added.

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

X: @joyanne_pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga
Reporter

Joyanne is city hall reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. A reporter since 2004, she began covering politics exclusively in 2012, writing on city hall and the Manitoba Legislature for the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in early 2020. Read more about Joyanne.

Every piece of reporting Joyanne produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

ATV, generator stolen from Manitoba cottage

1 minute read Yesterday at 9:53 AM CDT

RCMP are seeking the public’s help to identify a person of interest after an all-terrain vehicle and other belongings were stolen from a cottage in southern Manitoba.

The theft happened near near Provincial Road 440 in the Rural Municipality of Louise, about 150 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, on Aug. 11.

Police said surveillance video showed a man walking onto the property at about 2:30 p.m. while covering his face and holding power tools.

A grinder was used to open a locked shipping container, where a 1982 Honda ATC200 all-terrain vehicle, a Honda EU2000i generator and a Stihl FS90 trimmer were among the items stolen, RCMP said. One of two Spypoint trail cameras was also reported stolen.

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
6:37 PM CDT

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Preview

New Bannatyne eatery brings feast of Asian flavours

Eva Wasney 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Matriarchal influences run deep at House of Ma Kitchen and Bar.

Executive chef Dom Merano took inspiration from his mom’s home cooking while developing the menu for the new Exchange District restaurant — specifically Cynthia Merano’s recipes for lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) and kare-kare (braised beef and peanut stew).

“It tastes like home,” Merano says of the dishes, adding that his mom “felt honoured to be able to share her cooking with people. She was actually here prior to opening helping me roll lumpia.”

Cynthia’s photo is hung among the “Wall of Mas” at the back of the restaurant, where the mothers and grandmothers of True Hospitality staff are given pride of place.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
5:48 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.