Three dead, two others injured in West Broadway shooting

Three people are dead and two are clinging to life after a mass shooting inside a West Broadway home Sunday morning.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/11/2023 (995 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Three people are dead and two are clinging to life after a mass shooting inside a West Broadway home Sunday morning.

Officers found a man and woman dead inside a multi-unit residence in the 100 block of Langside Street around 4 a.m. Another man was rushed to hospital but did not survive.

The remaining victims, a man and woman, are in critical condition, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Police say there were multiple fatalities in a violent incident on Langside Street early Sunday morning.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Police say there were multiple fatalities in a violent incident on Langside Street early Sunday morning.

The homicide unit is leading the investigation. The victims’ identities are still being confirmed, and police are working to notify their families.

“We are very hopeful that we can, at the very least, move this investigation forward as quickly as possible because we know there are a lot of loved ones out there who are either about to get information that is going to be life-changing for them, or are in the process of getting that information,” Const. Jason Michalyshen told reporters at a news conference outside police headquarters Sunday afternoon.

“Sadly, we’ve dealt with a lot of very traumatic incidents in the past where individuals are fatally injured… This one, there’s no question, stands out.”

By 10 a.m., police had cordoned off a large section of the roadway near Langside and Sara Avenue.

Neighbourhood residents stood watch behind police tape, as investigators entered and exited a two-storey home at 143 Langside St. Several had already spoken with police, who came to their homes in search of footage from surveillance cameras.

“We live in West Broadway, so it’s not always maybe the safest neighbourhood, but this is a pretty uncommon occurrence to have the street blocked off by police. It’s pretty scary that something like this would happen just a few doors down from where we live,” neighbour Kelly Nickel said.

Nickel, who has lived in a multiplex near the scene for six years, said he was asleep at the time of the incident. After reviewing footage from his doorbell camera, he realized police knocked on his door around 4:20 a.m.

“The cops came (again) at 8:30 (a.m.) to ask if we had any footage of anything, but our camera didn’t capture anything,” he said.

Other area residents reported hearing the sound of gunfire around the time of the incident.

“I woke up to it,” said one woman, who lives in a nearby apartment building and asked not to be named.

“The cops wouldn’t tell us what happened, but I asked because I’ve got two kids,” she said. “(A police officer) just told me he was a homicide detective and they had reports of a shooting.”

The shooting drew officers from across the downtown, north, east and west districts, Michalyshen said, describing the incident as “very, very serious.”

He noted the investigation is in its early stages, but will continue for “days, weeks and certainly potentially longer.”

Michalyshen could not confirm whether police have identified any suspects or arrested anybody relating to the shooting. He also could not provide any additional details about the victims.

“Until we identify the individuals present, and certainly the individuals that sustained critical injuries and fatalities, we can’t really present any type of relationship, why they were there (or) how they are associated to that address, but that is a very important component of our investigation,” he said.

“Our commitment to those individuals is evident, and we are going to do our very best to move this forward and hold people accountable for their actions.”

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Winnipeg police are investigating a multiple homicide scene on Langside Street.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Winnipeg police are investigating a multiple homicide scene on Langside Street.

Investigators have not confirmed a possible motive, but have not ruled out the potential of gang involvement, Michalyshen said.

He encouraged anyone with information to make contact with police, stressing “a small bit of information can be vital to any investigation.”

“There’s a lot of questions that have yet to be answered,” he said.

Mayor Scott Gillingham published a statement on the shooting around 2 p.m., calling the incident “shocking and disturbing.”

“My thoughts are with the victims and their families during this time,” he wrote in a statement on X (formerly known as Twitter).

“Acts of violence like this are a troubling reminder that there is still too much violent crime, and too much gun-related crime in our city. It’s critical we work with the provincial and federal governments and community partners to strengthen our approach to public safety.”

The mayor credited police, paramedics and firefighters who responded to the scene, saying they demonstrated professionalism and courage in the face of a “truly traumatic situation.”

“I acknowledge the lasting impact attending such scenes can have on their lives,” he said.

Premier Wab Kinew provided a similar statement on X, calling the shooting a “terrible act of violence.”

He has asked Justice Minister Matt Wiebe to work with city officials to strengthen the governments’ shared approach to public safety, he said.

Police expect to release updates regarding the investigation in the coming days, Michalyshen said.

Anyone with video surveillance or information is asked to call police at 204-986-6508, Crime Stoppers at 204-786-8477 (TIPS), or online at winnipegcrimestoppers.org

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Sunday, November 26, 2023 2:04 PM CST: Updates with additional quotes and information.

Updated on Sunday, November 26, 2023 4:14 PM CST: Updates with statement from Mayor Scott Gillingham.

Updated on Sunday, November 26, 2023 5:44 PM CST: Updates with statement from Wab Kinew

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Hometown hero hits CEBL championship clinching shot

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Yesterday at 6:34 PM CDT

Chapter 1 of Winnipeg Sea Bears basketball was capped by hometown hero Chad Posthumus.

It was May 27, 2023, and the late, great centre out of River East Collegiate had a put-back basket off a Teddy Allen miss to give the Sea Bears a 90-85 victory over the Vancouver Bandits in Winnipeg’s inaugural game, in front of what was then a record crowd of 7,303.

So, on Saturday, it was rather poetic that Simon Hildebrandt — another Winnipegger and a player Posthumus used to mentor — was the one to put an exclamation mark on the franchise’s latest and greatest chapter.

Hildebrandt drilled a wide-open three in Target Score Time to crown the Sea Bears as the 2026 CEBL champions.

Read
Yesterday at 6:34 PM CDT

HSC weapons scanners effective, needed at other hospitals: nurses union

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Preview

HSC weapons scanners effective, needed at other hospitals: nurses union

Carol Sanders 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

The AI weapons scanners at Health Sciences Centre have detected close to 2,000 items since they were installed at Manitoba’s largest hospital.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Preview

Foster mom pleads guilty to assault that left six-year-old-girl paralyzed

Dean Pritchard 4 minute read Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

A Winnipeg foster mother has admitted to violently assaulting her ill foster daughter and leaving her paralyzed after the girl resisted the woman’s efforts to provide her with medication, a court has heard.

Marilyn Keno, 26, pleaded guilty Friday to one count of aggravated assault.

Keno remains in custody and will be sentenced at a later date following the completion of a court-ordered pre-sentence report.

The maximum sentence for aggravated assault is 14 years in prison. Crown attorney Alanna Littman and defence lawyer Jeremy Kostiuk did not disclose what sentences they will be recommending.

Read
Friday, Aug. 14, 2026

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Indigenous peoples are deeply invested in Canada

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Indigenous peoples are deeply invested in Canada

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Elections Canada released a report this week that stated that, in the 2025 federal election, approximately 41 per cent of eligible First Nations, Inuit and Métis voters cast a ballot and contributed significantly to the federal Liberals and Prime Minister Mark Carney making a political comeback.

For anyone curious about how Manitoba fared, the numbers in this province were slightly lower — but still very strong, with 34 per cent participation.

This is a far cry from the highest rate of Indigenous participation in a federal election — that would be the 60 per cent who cast a ballot in 2015, when Justin Trudeau’s Liberals defeated Stephen Harper’s Conservatives — but it’s still higher than the abysmal numbers seen in decades previous.

First Nations voters have only been allowed the legal right to cast a ballot in Canadian elections since 1960, but many in the past — perhaps rightly — felt a sense of complicity in the country’s colonization or, worse, that voting didn’t make a difference.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Preview

Oliveira shines in win over Redblacks, Collaros rocked again

Taylor Allen 5 minute read Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026

It wasn’t a stellar performance by any stretch.

But at this point, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers will take a win no matter what it looks like.

The Blue and Gold outlasted the winless Ottawa Redblacks 33-21 on a rainy Friday night at Princess Auto Stadium to improve to 5-4.

“It’s great to finally get a win at home for our fans and to go out and play a better game is very encouraging,” said right guard Patrick Neufeld.

Read
Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026