Four-time Scotties champ Harris suspended for banned substance

Four-time Scotties Tournament of Hearts champion Briane Harris was ineligible to play at last month’s national women’s curling championship in Calgary after she tested positive for traces of the banned substance Ligandrol.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/03/2024 (891 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Four-time Scotties Tournament of Hearts champion Briane Harris was ineligible to play at last month’s national women’s curling championship in Calgary after she tested positive for traces of the banned substance Ligandrol.

The substance is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency as it mimics the activity of testosterone in the body, which helps repair and build muscles.

The 32-year-old from Winnipeg, who plays lead for Kerri Einarson’s Gimli-based team, is provisionally suspended for up to four years — but Harris is appealing the ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Her lawyers maintain she was unknowingly exposed to the substance through bodily contact.

“The silver lining in this nightmare has been the overwhelming love and support I’ve received from my friends, family, teammates, and peers. They know me, and they believe in me,” said Harris in a statement to the Free Press.

“I was worried that my silence would be mistaken for guilt as I waited for the process to follow through. I was relieved to find that the silence did not affect the opinions of those close to me once the information was released. I cannot put into words how much everyone’s support means to me.”

Harris was ruled ineligible just hours before the Canadian championship began in Calgary on Feb. 16. Fifth player Krysten Karwacki filled in and was named an all-star.

Briane Harris tested positive for traces of the banned substance Ligandrol. (Darryl Dyck / The Canadian Press files)
Briane Harris tested positive for traces of the banned substance Ligandrol. (Darryl Dyck / The Canadian Press files)

The Einarson team’s drive for a fifth consecutive national title stalled in the playoffs.

“I was entirely shocked and devastated when I became aware of my positive test result,” Harris said, in a statement to CBC Sports. “As someone who does not take any supplements at all, and even hesitates to take Advil or Tylenol, I was in disbelief that this could happen to me.

“I was crushed that I could not play in the Scotties Tournament of Hearts and help my teammates defend our title. My goal now is to resolve this as soon as possible to preserve my Olympic dreams; it would be unbearable to have that in jeopardy over no wrongdoing on my part.”

The out-of-competition test was done by doping control officers on Jan. 24 and Harris was notified of the result on Feb. 15. A second sample, which is referred to as the B sample, on Feb. 19 confirmed the positive test.

“Last week, Ms. Harris’ B Sample confirmed the trace presence of said anabolic agent. Any silence on Ms. Harris’s part, or any of the parties familiar with this matter, was simply due to the need to maintain strict confidentiality while the B Sample was being tested,” said Harris’s lawyers, Amanda Fowler and Dr. Emir Crowne, in a statement.

“As best as can be determined at this time, Ms. Harris was unknowingly exposed to the banned substance through bodily contact. In the circumstances, Ms. Harris is therefore keen to clear her name and will seek to expedite any process or mechanism to facilitate such vindication.”

There was a similar case back in 2020 when Canadian canoeist Laurence Vincent Lapointe also faced a four-year ban for having trace amounts of Ligandrol in her system. The 11-time world champion was able to return to competition as she successfully provided evidence that supported that she was the victim of third-party contamination.

Lapointe said at the time that the trace amounts could have come from bodily fluids exchanged with her former boyfriend, as Ligandrol can be transferred through saliva, sweat, and semen.

Harris’s legal counsel plans to file the appeal by the end of next week at the latest.

“As best as can be determined at this time, Ms. Harris was unknowingly exposed to the banned substance through bodily contact.”–Harris’s lawyers

Speaking with reporters in a conference call Tuesday morning, Curling Canada CEO Nolan Thiessen explained why the organization never publicly shared any information on the matter.

“The rules stipulate that the only people who are allowed to publicly disclose the identity of an athlete who tested positive or had an adverse analytical finding is the athlete themselves or the testing agency. That was not our right as a part of signatory to the anti-doping code,” said Thiessen.

“The team, more importantly, Briane, was allowed to if she wanted to, and she’s chosen today as the day.”

Thiessen maintained players are given adequate information on doping rules and regulations.

Curling Canada is not involved in the appeal process.

Harris (right), who plays lead for Kerri Einarson’s Gimli-based team, is provisionally suspended for up to four years. (Jeff McIntosh / The Canadian Press files)

Harris (right), who plays lead for Kerri Einarson’s Gimli-based team, is provisionally suspended for up to four years. (Jeff McIntosh / The Canadian Press files)

“You have empathy for anybody who’s going through something, but with that being said, Curling Canada, and even when I was an athlete, we believe in safe sport and clean sport, so, that’s why we’re a signatory to the anti-doping code and why we totally support it and will continue to,” said Thiessen.

“We try to get as much information and communication to (athletes) as possible. The anti-doping information within each of our team meeting documents and comptetitor’s guides are pretty robust. There’s a lot of information and a ton of training and education that everybody goes through when they enter the testing pool or enter a national championship.”

Thiessen, who was appointed CEO in January, does not believe the Harris news took away from the Scotties or last week’s Brier in Regina.

“(Harris) reiterated to David (Murdoch, Curling Canada’s director of high performance) and I that she felt this was inadvertent. I said, ‘Then you need to go to try to prove that. That’s your right and that’s what you should try to do,’” said Thiessen.

From left: Team Canada skip Kerri Einarson, third Val Sweeting, second Shannon Birchard and lead Briane Harris pose with their gold medals and the trophy after defeating Manitoba in the final at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in 2023. (Darryl Dyck / The Canadian Press files)
From left: Team Canada skip Kerri Einarson, third Val Sweeting, second Shannon Birchard and lead Briane Harris pose with their gold medals and the trophy after defeating Manitoba in the final at the Scotties Tournament of Hearts in 2023. (Darryl Dyck / The Canadian Press files)

“And I said to the team that I think (its) concentration needs to be on trying to win the 2024 national championship and that’s what they sort of did for the rest of that week. It’s hard, it’s hard for everybody, but at the end of the day, the process has to play out.”

Team Einarson posted the following statement to social media.

“We will continue to have Briane’s back through this process. She is our teammate in every sense of the word, and we will always support her and stand by her. This will be our only statement on the situation.

“As always, we will continue to curl to the best of our abilities for our team, our families, our sponsors, and our country. Thank you for the ongoing support.”

Karwacki will continue to play lead for the team this season.

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca

X: @TaylorAllen31

 

Taylor Allen

Taylor Allen
Reporter

Taylor Allen is a sports reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. Taylor was the Vince Leah intern in the Free Press newsroom twice while earning his joint communications degree/diploma at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College Polytechnic. He signed on full-time in 2019 and mainly covers the Blue Bombers, curling, and basketball. Read more about Taylor.

Every piece of reporting Taylor produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Tuesday, March 12, 2024 1:28 PM CDT: Updates story

Updated on Tuesday, March 12, 2024 2:54 PM CDT: Comments, photos added

Updated on Tuesday, March 12, 2024 4:54 PM CDT: Byline added

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 7 minute read 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
5:54 PM CDT

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Preview

Close to 5,000 net new health-care workers added since 2023 election, province says

Chris Kitching 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

More doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before but health-care challenges remain, Premier Wab Kinew says.

The province has added 4,725 net new health-care workers to the provincial system since the NDP won the October 2023 election, Kinew told reporters Tuesday.

The government’s total includes 370 doctors, 1,464 nurses, 2,152 health-care aides and 607 allied health professionals, a group that includes physiotherapists, dietitians, paramedics, medical lab technologists and others.

Kinew said more doctors and nurses are working in Manitoba than ever before.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:43 PM CDT

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Preview

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read 8:17 PM CDT

There’s no mortar in sight but there are certainly thousands of bricks at a new brick-and-mortar store in Winnipeg catering to Lego enthusiasts.

Ashton Romaniuk and Madison Froome opened Romo’s Bricks in late spring. Located at 955 Milt Stegall Dr., in the same building as CanCentral Sports Cards & Memorabilia, the store specializes in selling pre-owned Lego sets, minifigures and other Lego-related products.

“It’s something we’re both passionate about,” Froome said.

To stock the store, she and Romaniuk spent $50,000 on four large Lego collections, purchased from local collectors. Romaniuk estimates that since the store opened on June 2, inventory has grown to $250,000 worth of Lego.

Read
8:17 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
6:32 PM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
Yesterday at 5:35 PM CDT