Drug deaths reach record high in 2023 Time to declare state of emergency in Manitoba: advocate

The number of annual drug deaths in Manitoba climbed to a record high in 2023, prompting sorrow and more calls for action from advocates.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/03/2024 (878 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The number of annual drug deaths in Manitoba climbed to a record high in 2023, prompting sorrow and more calls for action from advocates.

There were 445 drug-related deaths last year, up slightly from 418 in 2022 and 432 in 2021, based on initial data from the province’s chief medical examiner, which was released Monday.

The year-end total was calculated with the release of preliminary monthly statistics for December, when 54 drug-related overdose deaths were counted.

Of those, 41 involved at least one opioid, including fentanyl.

“To me, this would be a good time to declare a state of emergency and say, ‘We need to do something about this,’” said Arlene Last-Kolb, the Manitoba regional director of Moms Stop the Harm, a group of parents who’ve lost children to drug poisonings. “Fifty-four people. We have to remember that that’s somebody’s daughter or son, somebody’s father or mother.

“I don’t know how much evidence we need to say we have to do more.”

The second-highest monthly total of drug-related deaths in 2023 was 44 in May.

“I don’t know how much evidence we need to say we have to do more”–Arlene Last-Kolb

“I feel deeply saddened every time we see these reports from the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner,” said Marion Willis, executive director of St. Boniface Street Links.

She has called for more co-ordination between provincial and municipal government departments, emergency services and outreach organizations to help tackle Winnipeg’s drug crisis and related issues, such as chronic homelessness, mental health and crime.

A member of the St. Boniface Street Links team died last weekend after overdosing on fentanyl, said Willis.

“The ripples from this are huge,” she said.

Last-Kolb’s 24-year-old son, Jessie, died from a fentanyl overdose in 2014. She and fellow members of Moms Stop the Harm advocate for more harm-reduction and treatment services.

Last-Kolb recently wrote an op-ed piece for the Free Press to lobby for a safe-supply model which would allow people access to drugs that have been tested, as an alternative to the toxic illegal drug supply.

Kathryn Braun, director of the chief medical examiner’s office, said “down,” of which there are many variants, is the street drug that accounts for most drug-related deaths.

It is a cocktail of illicit substances, with fentanyl and methamphetamine common in almost every variant.

“Each variant of ‘down’ will also have other substances added in… to increase potency and the subjective ‘high,’” Braun wrote in an email to the Free Press.

She said the drugs that are responsible for most of the fatalities are fentanyl, para-fluorofentanyl, cocaine and methamphetamine.

There has been an increasing prevalence of potent benzodiazepines in “down” cocktails, Braun said.

Housing, Addictions and Homelessness Minister Bernadette Smith said Monday the government is concerned about the toxic drug supply “and continues to work on solutions to the addictions crisis. We are committed to addressing the impacts of substance use in our communities, especially after years of neglect. ”

A November mandate letter from Premier Wab Kinew directed her to establish a site in downtown Winnipeg to “save lives and connect Manitobans with health care and social supports.”

Smith was also directed to create systems for testing toxic drugs, expand detox beds and addiction treatment options, and take a harm-reduction approach to the addictions crisis.

No timeline has been given for a supervised consumption site. The NDP will unveil its first budget April 2.

The former Progressive Conservative government rejected supervised consumption sites and instead focuses on addictions treatment.

Willis said a multi-faceted approach is necessary. Many users assisted by St. Boniface Street Links take drugs in their homes or the homes of people they know, she said.

“We need to come together and realize the ‘using population’ is not all the same,” she said.

Last-Kolb said images of people “shooting up” on the street are polarizing and stigmatizing.

“They didn’t all die on the street,” she said of those who died in 2023.

Suspected drug-related deaths are identified by the chief medical examiner based on analysis of toxicology reports, reviews of circumstances and autopsy findings.

Final or confirmed statistics are reported once medical examinations are fully completed.

— with files from Malak Abas

chris.kitching@freepress.mb.ca

Chris Kitching

Chris Kitching
Reporter

Chris Kitching is a general assignment reporter at the Free Press. He began his newspaper career in 2001, with stops in Winnipeg, Toronto and London, England, along the way. After returning to Winnipeg, he joined the Free Press in 2021, and now covers a little bit of everything for the newspaper. Read more about Chris.

Every piece of reporting Chris produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, March 25, 2024 7:14 PM CDT: Updates Bernadette Smith statement

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Men accused in commercial break-in spree were wearing ankle bracelets

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Two men in electric ankle bracelets who were being monitored by justice officials have been accused in a two-month spree of commercial break-ins, vehicle thefts and other property crimes.

City police have charged one of the suspects and are searching for the second.

About $140,000 worth of property, including trailers, lawn equipment, motorcycles and bicycles, was reported stolen in 13 incidents in Winnipeg and the Rural Municipality of Headingley between April 20 and June 28, the Winnipeg Police Service said.

Both suspects were wearing electronic monitoring bracelets during that time.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Preview

No timeline to reopen city-owned fitness facility in North Kildonan after mould discovery

Joyanne Pursaga 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

A city-run fitness centre that suddenly closed for repairs last October lacks a set date to reopen, while an investigation on how best to fix it is underway.

Read
Yesterday at 5:29 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read 5:13 PM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
5:13 PM CDT

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read Preview

Tachinski helps punch men’s flag football ticket to Los Angeles Games

Joshua Frey-Sam 5 minute read 5:31 PM CDT

Jackson Tachinski: future Olympian?

Those prospects got a lot brighter for the Winnipegger on Sunday when the Canadian men’s flag football team won bronze at the IFAF World Flag Football Championships in Germany.

Tachinski was a key cog throughout a run that ended with a thrilling 34-26 overtime victory over Mexico that secured Canada’s spot at the 2028 Los Angeles Games, where flag football will debut on the biggest stage in sports.

“It was awesome. We were in overtime, and we got the ball first, and we ended up scoring and getting a two-point convert. We knew the defence just had to make a few plays and get a stop and we’d (win). Just seeing the ball go up in the air and (Montreal’s Guillaume Béland) came down with the interception, it was an unreal feeling. Just straight euphoria,” Tachinski told the Free Press shortly after returning home.

Read
5:31 PM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Yesterday at 5:51 PM CDT

Drug deaths reach record high in 2023

Chris Kitching 4 minute read Preview

Drug deaths reach record high in 2023

Chris Kitching 4 minute read Monday, Mar. 25, 2024

The number of annual drug deaths in Manitoba climbed to a record high in 2023, prompting sorrow and more calls for action from advocates.

There were 445 drug-related deaths last year, up slightly from 418 in 2022 and 432 in 2021, based on initial data from the province’s chief medical examiner, which was released Monday.

The year-end total was calculated with the release of preliminary monthly statistics for December, when 54 drug-related overdose deaths were counted.

Of those, 41 involved at least one opioid, including fentanyl.

Read
Monday, Mar. 25, 2024