Castillo carrying Blue Bombers offence Consistent kicker perfect since season-opener

Sergio Castillo won’t say he told you so, just check the numbers.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 09/07/2024 (774 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Sergio Castillo won’t say he told you so, just check the numbers.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker has sparkled as of late, going a perfect 12-for-12 on field goal attempts and seven-for-seven on converts in the last four contests.

The eight-year veteran has been one of the club’s best players over the trying start to the season, called upon to produce in every situation and delivering every time. Castillo has even set some records along the way, including attempting and converting a career-best six field goals to lead the Bombers to a 25-16 triumph over the Ottawa Redblacks last week and setting a franchise record when he drilled a 60-yarder in the clutch against the Calgary Stampeders in Week 4.

“Ever since we went back to those footballs, I feel confident going back out for any field goal,” Castillo said following Tuesday’s practice at Princess Auto Stadium, where the Bombers will host the Calgary Stampeders on Friday (7:30 p.m.).

John Woods / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
                                Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo went six-for-six on field goal attempts Friday against the Ottawa Redblacks.

John Woods / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Winnipeg Blue Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo went six-for-six on field goal attempts Friday against the Ottawa Redblacks.

“My main focus is (going) one-for-one, trying to get these points for the team. Yeah, there was a little bit of (‘I told you so’) but more than anything, for me, it’s just like we’re gone, we’re done with that and let’s focus on these balls.”

The footballs Castillo reflected on were the centre of his controversial start to the season. Against the wishes of almost every kicker in the league, the Canadian Football League introduced new footballs that were embedded with computer chips that track statistical data for TV broadcasts as part of the league’s relationship with Genius Sports.

A cool addition in theory, but one that made the footballs’ flight path unpredictable after being kicked. Point in case, Castillo, who had a career efficiency rate of 86 per cent and hit the 90 per cent threshold last season, missed two field goals and one convert in the club’s season-opening loss to the Montreal Alouettes at home.

The perpetually optimistic kicker took to the media after the game to vent his frustrations.

“It’s very frustrating when you put in the work — and I have a little one, I have a wife back home that I have to provide for — and we’re not given the proper equipment to do well. Over camp, if I went 60 per cent that was a great day. And when we went with normal balls, 90-plus per cent. The whole camp,” Castillo said at the time, adding “I don’t know where to aim. Every time I’m out there, I’m literally praying the rosary.”

Castillo’s comments sparked discourse from every corner of the three-down world on social media.

Fans took to X (formerly known as Twitter), with many questioning the validity of Castillo’s comments and whether the chips — now removed from kicking balls — actually made any difference.

“Ever since we went back to those footballs, I feel confident going back out for any field goal.”–Blue Bombers kicker Sergio Castillo

Some of Castillo’s colleagues backed him, most notably Saskatchewan Roughriders kicker and VP of the CFL Players Association, Brett Lauther, who wrote a lengthy statement condemning the CFL for not listening to its players.

Castillo was fined $250 for his comments that violated the league’s Code of Conduct. Lauther, Redblacks kicker Lewis Ward and B.C.’s Sean Whyte were also fined for violating the CFL Social Media Policy in support of the Bombers kicker.

Any thought of the tough start possibly affecting Castillo has certainly been put to rest, especially after accounting for most of the Bombers’ points in the last two contests.

“Can’t say enough good things about Serge,” said special teams co-ordinator Mike Miller. “He’s a pro, he works hard at his craft, and yeah he goes six-for-six, he’s been hitting some deep ones too and helping us win games. He’s a true professional and a great teammate for sure.”

Castillo, who admitted he didn’t expect to be used so often, is on pace for a career-high in field goal attempts (54). Most of his work so far has come in the last two games, as he’s kicked 10 field goals. While it’s encouraging to see the kicking operation in rhythm, it has only been called upon for two extra-point attempts over that stretch.

While the lack of explosive plays on offence can be attributed to Zach Collaros going down with an injury, the offence knows consistently stalling in enemy territory is not the recipe for success.

“We’re aware of it, it’s something that we’re focusing on,” said offensive co-ordinator Buck Pierce. “We got to get the ball in the end zone. One of the things that we’re constantly looking at is finishing drives and continuing to keep out of second-and-long situations, things that put us behind the sticks. Obviously, that’s a point of emphasis for us.

“It’s one of those things that we understand if we’re going to get to where we want to get to and we’re going to win games, we’ve got to finish and score some of them.”

On the flip side, Castillo’s success has made head coach Mike O’Shea’s job a little easier, knowing he has a scoring weapon at his disposal from virtually any distance.

“I said earlier in the week that I probably should trot him out more. He’s a pro, he works at it, that whole operation works hard at it so that’s good,” O’Shea said, later agreeing that having a consistent kicker can influence the way he manages a game.

“I think it has to, but there are a lot more factors that come into play before you call for the field goal. But yes, if one of the variables is dominating the other variables then you would obviously choose to try more often.”

joshua.frey-sam@freepress.mb.ca

X: @jfreysam

Joshua Frey-Sam

Joshua Frey-Sam
Reporter

Josh Frey-Sam reports on sports and business at the Free Press. Josh got his start at the paper in 2022, just weeks after graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College. He reports primarily on amateur teams and athletes in sports. Read more about Josh.

Every piece of reporting Josh produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read Preview

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read 4:37 PM CDT

Two men have admitted their guilt in the beating death of a 45-year-old father in Berens River First Nation last winter.

Michael Oliver Franklin, 32, and Thomas Bryton Goosehead, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter Thursday in the Feb. 13, 2025 killing of Leslie Neil Mason.

“These types of senseless acts happen far too often in Berens River and every other small community in Manitoba, including here in Winnipeg,” Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne said.

The men had been charged with second-degree murder, but admitted to the lesser offence as part of a plea bargain struck between their defence lawyers and Crown prosecutor Thomas Boult, largely due to concerns with the strength of the case Boult developed after meeting with witnesses in Berens River.

Read
4:37 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 6 minute read Preview

NDP touts health-care gains, but critics question impact on ER wait times

Tom Brodbeck 6 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara doesn’t mince words when describing how bad things are in the province’s emergency departments and urgent-care centres.

“The wait times that we are seeing in Manitoba are unacceptable,” said Asagwara in an interview with the Free Press.

“I hear from families, I hear from providers, I hear from Manitobans who are concerned about the wait times that they’re seeing, that they’re experiencing, and those concerns are valid — I share those concerns.”

So what is the NDP, who promised voters nearly three years ago it had the answers to bring down wait times, doing about it?

Read
6:00 AM CDT