Asbestos concerns stop emergency demolition Mayor calls for city-province co-operation

The demolition of an inner-city warehouse at risk of collapse has ground to a halt — the latest in a string of derelict properties left to rot as the province overrules orders issued by the city.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 01/08/2024 (751 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The demolition of an inner-city warehouse at risk of collapse has ground to a halt — the latest in a string of derelict properties left to rot as the province overrules orders issued by the city.

The Manitoba government issued a stop-work order at 579 McDermot Ave. after inspectors identified the possible presence of asbestos.

The situation prompted Mayor Scott Gillingham to call for co-operation from the provincial government.

Gillingham told the Free Press Thursday governments must work together to develop new approaches to asbestos remediation and removal.

The alternative is watching the blight of vacant and derelict buildings continue to grow, he said.

TYLER SEARLE / FREE PRESS
                                Demolition at 579 McDermot Ave. has ground to a halt after city inspectors identifed the possible presence of asbestos.

TYLER SEARLE / FREE PRESS

Demolition at 579 McDermot Ave. has ground to a halt after city inspectors identifed the possible presence of asbestos.

“We do need to find solutions because it’s area residents who are impacted and who are rightfully frustrated,” he said. “I’m hopeful the province can work with us to find alternative approaches to address the safety hazards so we can reduce these delays.”

The city and province have not yet had a formal discussion about the issue, but the presence of asbestos has stalled the demolition of buildings throughout the city, making them magnets for criminal activity, fires and safety hazards, Gillingham said.

City officials ordered the emergency demolition of the McDermot Avenue warehouse last month after municipal inspectors concluded it was at risk of collapse.

Demolition began July 18, but was quickly halted by provincial inspectors who “noted suspect asbestos containing material on the structure,” a provincial spokesperson said in an email.

“The company responsible for demolition must provide a plan to ensure measures will be taken to prevent any materials with the potential to release asbestos into the atmosphere are removed in a manner that does not create a risk to the safety and health of any persons.”

As of Thursday afternoon, roughly one-third of the building had been destroyed, leaving a large section of its interior exposed to the elements and piles of rubble at the structure’s base.

No further work will be done until the issues noted in the stop-work order are resolved.

“We do need to find solutions because it’s area residents who are impacted and who are rightfully frustrated.”–Mayor Scott Gillingham

Meanwhile, residents of a neighbouring four-suite building have been unable to return to their homes since July 5, when city bylaw officers ordered them to evacuate.

“I’ve had to come to the realization that I’m going to have to find another place to live,” said one man who has been staying in hotel rooms. “It’s a long-running, not funny joke.”

The man, who did not want to be identified, said his landlord is subsidizing his lodgings at $40 per day, but he is left to pay the remaining expense out of pocket.

He has been unable to return to his home to retrieve his belongings, and is suffering with significant mental anguish as a result of being displaced, he said.

“It feels like I am super isolated for reasons that are not my fault,” he said. “There needs to be some clarity, some long-term vision about what (evacuees) are supposed to do.”

Gillingham said long-term aid for displaced residents falls under the purview of the province, pointing to the Residential Tenancies Branch as a possible avenue for support.

Sheldon Blank, the owner of Winnipeg’s former Vulcan Iron Works site in Point Douglas, said he spent thousands of dollars fighting to demolish the property after it burned in several fires over the last year.

The city ordered him to complete an emergency demolition, but work was halted for several months after the province identified asbestos.

“The city said do it, the province said don’t. That’s the quandary I was in,” he said. “I was subject to fines, I was subject to ridicule and everything under the sun….What (the governments) did was inappropriate. There should be a proper, reasonable policy to deal with it.”

Blank suggested the province explore the possibility of tax incentives, grants or support programs for property owners to support the removal of asbestos-containing materials.

Inspectors should also consider the amount of asbestos that is present in a building before it halts demolition efforts, he said, describing the approach as heavy-handed.

“There’s a thing called reasonableness, and if that was applied, none of these sites would be a problem.”

“It feels like I am super isolated for reasons that are not my fault. There needs to be some clarity, some long-term vision about what (evacuees) are supposed to do.”–Evacuated neighbour

Many building materials used prior to 1990 contain asbestos, including pipe wrap, insulation, tiles, drywall compound, ceiling tiles and window sealant.

The microscopic fibres in asbestos, if inhaled, can remain embedded in lungs for years. Over time, inflammation and scarring can lead to cancer.

“As such, Manitoba laws assume suspect materials as containing asbestos unless proven otherwise and implements measures to prevent exposures,” the spokesperson said.

“Enforcement officers consider the date of construction and any subsequent renovations when determining whether there are suspect materials in a structure, an approach consistent with other Canadian jurisdictions.”

The spokesperson noted that identifying asbestos becomes increasingly difficult post-demolition because it is difficult to test and isolate contaminated materials.

City communications officer Kalen Qually said municipal staff will continue to work with the contractor at the McDermot site and with the province to resolve the stop-work order.

“We do expect there will be schedule delays as a result, but the city intends to continue with demolition and cleanup of the site as soon as possible,” he said, adding evacuated residents will be permitted to return to their homes as soon as possible.

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Thursday, August 1, 2024 8:49 PM CDT: Removes reference to rooming house.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read 7:52 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall was about 12-feet away from making history.

But a slippery downhill birdie putt for the win on Friday afternoon in Ontario proved to be a bit too aggressive, leaving the 25-year-old Brandon golfer with a nervy comeback attempt that ultimately fell painfully short.

The resulting bogey, on the 72nd and final hole of play at the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship, left him one shot behind playing partner Garrett Rank, who tapped in his par to claim victory.

“It kind of stings,” Nachtigall told the Free Press shortly after finishing up at the Brantford Golf & Country Club. “At the end of the day, second place in my first time playing this event and losing to a guy who’s now won it four times, I guess I’ll have to take it.”

Read
7:52 PM CDT

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Vice-President JD Vance weighed in on the latest trade deal with Canada at a fundraising event Wednesday, saying Prime Minister Mark Carney tried to "out-tough" President Donald Trump while crediting his longtime friend Conservative MP Jamil Jivani as a helpful advocate for Canada.

In audio from the fundraiser in Southampton, N.Y., which was provided to The Canadian Press by a source who attended the private function, Vance said Carney is a "very sweet guy" and he gets along with him quite well.

But, Vance said, Carney "comes in and puffs his chest out and says, 'I'm going to, like, out-tough Donald Trump.'"

"It's hilarious because Carney presents this as some victory for Canada when fundamentally, like, they climb down on a lot of issues," Vance told the room.

Read
Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read 7:08 PM CDT

A number of Manitoba farmers say they are expecting this year’s harvest to be one of the worst they’ve seen after major flooding decimated fields at the start of summer.

Bob Elliot, who has been farming east of Stonewall for 43 years, said he’s expecting the operation’s 5,500 acres to produce roughly half their normal yield.

Stonewall has logged the most precipitation this summer, with 523 millimetres of rainfall between May 1 and Aug. 16, according to Manitoba’s weather conditions report.

Elliot said the amount of rain has created a “unique” situation for farmers. “This is something that I don’t think anyone around here has ever seen.”

Read
7:08 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |