Flooded apartment leaves some residents homeless Police investigate after pipe dislodged inside downtown highrise

With water flowing everywhere, Michelle Szajewski had just enough time to grab her cat and a few important items before getting out of her downtown apartment building.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/08/2024 (731 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

With water flowing everywhere, Michelle Szajewski had just enough time to grab her cat and a few important items before getting out of her downtown apartment building.

The unwelcome surprise Monday morning forced Szajewski and dozens of other residents to evacuate Holiday Towers, a 25-storey building on Hargrave Street.

“I came back to alarms going off and water gushing from the ceiling of the lobby and elevator,” Szajewski said Wednesday. “I’m homeless right now.”

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS
                                Residents at the Holiday Towers apartment building at 170 Hargrave Street were evacuated Monday morning owing to flooding.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS

Residents at the Holiday Towers apartment building at 170 Hargrave Street were evacuated Monday morning owing to flooding.

In a post on its website, WRE Development, the property manager of the building, said the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service ordered all tenants to vacate their suites after a “significant flooding incident” Monday.

WFPS crews were called to the downtown complex around 11:45 a.m. after a sprinkler system alarm went off, deputy chief Jason Shaw said.

Firefighters found a standpipe on the 12th floor had been dislodged. The pipe connects to fire hoses and is used as a water supply to fight fires.

“We don’t know how it was opened, or who opened it, or why it was open, but it wasn’t due to our needs for fire suppression,” Shaw said Wednesday.

Crews were able to shut off the water flow, but the building’s power was disabled and some parts of the building sustained significant damage.

“All that water affected the critical infrastructure of the building,” Shaw said.

The building was evacuated and about 230 residents were assessed by the city’s emergency social services team, Shaw said.

The flood is being investigated by the Winnipeg police, public information officer Const. Dani McKinnon said Wednesday.

Meals on Wheels is stationed on the main floor of the complex and had to take down its systems for the afternoon, but was up and running the following morning, executive director Marla Somersall said.

“There was water coming down the walls and in the carpets… we lost some ceiling tiles. We don’t know the damage in the walls yet,” Somersall said.

Szajewski, who has lived on the eighth floor since April, stayed at a hotel Monday night, but couldn’t afford another evening and ended up sleeping in the adjoining apartment building’s lobby Tuesday.

Since the evacuation, Szajewski has been experiencing panic attacks and non-stop crying and says she has received no communication from the building managers.

“This has been affecting me so much,” she said. “The management is keeping us in the dark.”

“All that water affected the critical infrastructure of the building.”–Jason Shaw, WFPS

WRE originally said on its website there was no timeline for residents to return to their suites. An updated notice said residents of the 14th floor and above were allowed back home.

“We need to assess the damage and have the proper contractors complete the repairs,” the notice said, adding WRE was working to have the issue fixed “as quickly as possible” and advised tenants to reach out to their insurance companies for assistance.

Multiple requests for comment from WRE went unanswered Wednesday.

Shaw said the WFPS is working with the building manager to provide information and support displaced tenants in a timely manner and to get people back in their apartments.

“There was a lot of hard-working people and there was a lot of residents that were wanting to speak to the building owners and trying to get information,” Shaw said. “These are trying times and you need to be empathetic, because this displacement really causes a lot of hurt and concern.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / PRESS
                                The Meals on Wheels office was one of the tenants of the Hargrave Street building that experienced water damage earlier this week.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / PRESS

The Meals on Wheels office was one of the tenants of the Hargrave Street building that experienced water damage earlier this week.

Meantime, tenants of other evacuated buildings in Winnipeg continue to live in limbo.

Last week, residents of Birchwood Terrace were told their October move-in date was pushed back again, as per an updated schedule from the building’s contractor.

“We still don’t know when occupancy will be permitted in the building,” a letter addressed to tenants and obtained by the Free Press stated.

Workers have only recently completed inspections of most of the Portage Avenue building’s structural columns, which were found to be rotting, the letter said. That prompted the emergency evacuation of hundreds in May.

“This has been affecting me so much.”–Michelle Szajewski, tenant

Crews have only recently determined the amount of repair work required before the building can be stabilized and inspected.

Lakewood plans to provide another update on Sept. 12, the letter states.

Across town, all tenants of a St. John’s neighbourhood apartment who were unlawfully evicted have returned home.

Residents of Stratford Hall, a three-storey block at 285 College Ave., were abruptly ordered to leave July 12, resulting in an investigation by the Residential Tenancies Branch.

A week later, the provincial government intervened, issuing the building’s landlord 32 noncompliance orders. Security was also brought in to monitor the building 24/7 and ensure people could safely return.

The province said Wednesday it has issued administrative penalties totalling $9,000 to the building’s owner, who the Free Press identified as Kelly Vasas.

nicole.buffie@freepress.mb.ca

Nicole Buffie

Nicole Buffie
Multimedia producer

Nicole Buffie is a reporter for the Free Press city desk. Born and bred in Winnipeg, Nicole graduated from Red River College’s Creative Communications program in 2020 and worked as a reporter throughout Manitoba before joining the Free Press newsroom as a multimedia producer in 2023. Read more about Nicole.

Every piece of reporting Nicole produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, August 21, 2024 5:31 PM CDT: Adds video

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Preview

Doctor speaks out, raises alarm over gas plant expansion plans

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

A retired doctor is raising red flags on Manitoba Hydro’s proposed gas plant expansion in Brandon and the health-related consequences of climate change.

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 17 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Thursday, Aug. 20, 2026

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.