Councillor seeks speed-limit reduction on Wellington Crescent after cyclist killed

A Winnipeg city councillor is trying to get the speed limit lowered to 30 km/hr on a busy bike route where a cyclist was fatally mowed down by a speeding car five months ago.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/11/2024 (645 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Winnipeg city councillor is trying to get the speed limit lowered to 30 km/hr on a busy bike route where a cyclist was fatally mowed down by a speeding car five months ago.

A motion by Sherri Rollins (Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry) to reduce the speed limit on Wellington Crescent from River Avenue to Kenaston Boulevard until a protected bike lane is in place will be presented to the city centre community committee when it meets Monday.

Rob Jenner, pictured on vacation in Mexico, died while cycling after being hit by a vehicle on Wellington Crescent near Cockburn Street in June. (Supplied)
Rob Jenner, pictured on vacation in Mexico, died while cycling after being hit by a vehicle on Wellington Crescent near Cockburn Street in June. (Supplied)

“Tragic deaths and troubling near-misses involving both pedestrians and cyclists… demonstrate an unacceptable level of risk posed to vulnerable road users travelling along this stretch of road,” her motion reads.

Rob Jenner, 61, was killed while cycling to work on the morning of June 6 on Wellington Crescent near Cockburn Street. Jenner was hit by a car that was travelling at least 159 km/h in a spot where the posted speed limit is 50 km/h. Beckham Severight, 19, pleaded guilty last month to dangerous driving causing death and leaving the scene of an accident. His sentencing date has not been set.

“That’s a main route for people cycling,” Mark Cohoe, executive director of Bike Winnipeg, said Tuesday. The non-profit group has long advocated for safer routes for cyclists and others.

“The tragedy of Rob Jenner’s death moved that to the forefront,” Cohoe said.

Wellington Crescent between Academy Road and River and Stradbrook avenues is “a major gap in the city’s planned primary bicycle network,” Rollins’ resolution states. It has no bike lane, which forces cyclists to ride in mixed traffic along a roadway with traffic volumes and speeds where separation of people on bikes from motor vehicles is recommended.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Coun. Sherri Rollins has filed a motion to reduce the speed limit on Wellington Crescent following a fatal collision with a cyclist there in June.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

Coun. Sherri Rollins has filed a motion to reduce the speed limit on Wellington Crescent following a fatal collision with a cyclist there in June.

Wellington Crescent is used by a high volume of pedestrian and bicycle traffic that is anticipated to double by 2030, as per to the City of Winnipeg climate plan.

There’s been a significant increase in bike traffic during the summer on the stretch between Academy Road and Guelph Street when it operates as a seasonal bike route, with a 30 km/h speed limit. That shows a “strong desire for a permanent, year-round, low-stress cycling route on Wellington Crescent,” the resolution says.

The city is finalizing updates to its transportation master plan and pedestrian and cycling strategies, which are expected to go before council this winter.

“I wouldn’t expect anything until the new year,” Rollins said about her proposal to lower the year-round speed limit from Kenaston Boulevard to River Avenue.

“I certainly think one of the aims is safeguarding before the majority of cyclists head back to Wellington, and that would be spring time.”

She said she expects there will be pushback from residents.

“When it’s such an important thoroughfare, the length that this motion attempts to address will, no doubt, be challenged,” Rollins said.

Reducing the speed limit to 30 km/h from 50 km/h is known to reduce collisions, she said.

“It was a very problematic spring and summer for Wellington,” said the councillor. She’s seen, over the years, the fence at St. Mary’s Academy, at Wellington and Academy) damaged many times from vehicles crashing into it “which really connotes the speed at which people are going,” said Rollins, who hears from ward residents when cyclists get hit.

The collision involving Jenner was one of two that day that ward residents had notified her about, she said.

Rollins said she informed Jenner’s partner, Wendy Van Loon, about the reduced speed motion.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS
                                Wellington Crescent is used by a high volume of pedestrian and bicycle traffic that is anticipated to double by 2030 according to the City of Winnipeg's climate plan.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS

Wellington Crescent is used by a high volume of pedestrian and bicycle traffic that is anticipated to double by 2030 according to the City of Winnipeg's climate plan.

Van Loon told a July 25 gathering of cyclists outside the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, where Jenner had worked, that she wants others to be able to experience his joy of cycling, and to be safe while doing so. “There’s nothing we can do to bring him back, but let’s make sure his death wasn’t in vain,” she said at the time.

Wellington Crescent is identified as a high priority pathway in the draft bike route priority map, highlighting the need for safety interventions, her resolution points out.

Weeks after Jenner was killed, a teen who was cycling with her father was injured July 29 after she was struck by a vehicle near the intersection of Wellington Crescent and Academy Road. On July 30, an estimated 180 cyclists blocked cars at the intersection of Academy and Wellington to demand safer road design.

Advocates placed a “ghost bike,” which was donated by Van Loon and painted white, near the scene of the fatal collision as a tribute to Jenner and to remind drivers to slow down and be careful near cyclists.

Bike Winnipeg plans to have a presence at Monday’s community committee meeting to support the resolution for a reduced speed limit until a low-stress, all-ages-and-abilities cycling route can be provided along the route, Cohoe said.

“We’re grateful that the councillors are taking this issue seriously and are moving forward with steps both short term and long term,” Cohoe said.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Trustees call for e-scooter safety education

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

School trustees are calling on the province to bolster public education around e-bike and e-scooter safety ahead of back-to-school season.

The Manitoba School Boards Association brought members’ concerns about a growing number of students using electronic devices to get to and from classes to the education minister’s office this month.

“There’s a concerning lack of safety knowledge on the part of Manitoba youth,” executive director Alan Campbell said.

Campbell, a long-time trustee in the Interlake School Division, resigned from elected office this summer to run the association that mobilizes school boards and provides them with labour relations support.

Read
Yesterday at 6:00 AM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

Daycare, family centre addition will turn care home into intergenerational community hub

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 3:29 PM CDT

Seven-year-olds and 70-somethings will socialize daily when a 152-spot daycare opens inside of a seniors’ residence in Winnipeg in a couple of years.

Construction on a new wing of the Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre is scheduled to begin this fall, it was announced Monday.

The project won’t be complete for at least 22 months, but it’s already being touted as a made-in-Manitoba model for intergenerational community hubs across the country.

“It’s a real good idea to mix the younger generation with the older generation,” said Allan Rutherford, a 79-year-old resident of the 200-bed personal care home in Linden Ridge.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 3:29 PM CDT

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Two-time cancer survivor trades blows with angry Lake Winnipeg in epic 12-hour fundraising swim

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 2:46 PM CDT

After 12 hours of wind, waves and a painful shoulder, Jonathon Fenton has finished what he started, making it across Lake Winnipeg.

The 62-year-old two-time cancer survivor completed the roughly 26-kilometre swim Sunday, a year after shoulder problems forced him to stop 16 kilometres into his first attempt.

The swim was the second year of Fenton’s Jonny’s Big Swim fundraiser, which supports the Alberta Cancer Foundation, CancerCare Manitoba Foundation and Health Sciences Centre Foundation.

He raised roughly $48,000 this year, bringing the two-year total to about $90,000.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 2:46 PM CDT

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read 7:12 PM CDT

Pauline Pollard didn’t hesitate when asked what advice she would give her teenage self, a pregnant young mother of one in an abusive relationship.

“Leave sooner,” she said, citing everything she’s learned over the last 25 years, including at Red River College Polytechnic’s shelter support worker program.

The 43-year-old said she has “a lot of compassion” for women of all ages who find themselves stuck in unsafe situations.

It’s far easier in retrospect to see the warning signs, noting that in her case, an ex-boyfriend started confiscating her clothes and makeup before his controlling behaviour escalated to physical violence.

Read
7:12 PM CDT

Manitoba man lied about abduction: N.D. police

Scott Billeck 2 minute read Yesterday at 3:17 PM CDT

U.S. authorities say a Manitoba man falsely claimed he had been kidnapped and taken across the Canada-U.S. border over the weekend.

Roderick Garson, 37, is being held in a county jail near Alexandria, Minn., after he was arrested and charged with falsely reporting a crime.

The arrest stems from a report police received Saturday that a man had been abducted with a weapon in Manitoba and taken across the border into the United States.

The investigation led U.S. authorities to Alexandria, about two hours northwest of Minneapolis, where police located the reported victim and suspect after the latter ran into a local store claiming he had escaped from his 31-year-old unnamed captor.