Foreign-student squeeze forces U of W hiring freeze

The University of Winnipeg has announced a hiring freeze as senior administration reels in spending in response to a drop in international enrolment and other budgetary pressures.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 14/11/2024 (643 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The University of Winnipeg has announced a hiring freeze as senior administration reels in spending in response to a drop in international enrolment and other budgetary pressures.

President Todd Mondor told senators on Sept. 26 that enrolment among new non-Canadian students had dropped 50 per cent for the fall term and would result in “a significant financial impact.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                University of Winnipeg president Todd Mondor.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS FILES

University of Winnipeg president Todd Mondor.

Meeting minutes show the university projects $4 million to $5 million in tuition losses for the current fiscal year, and related fallout to continue into 2025-26.

U of W has since issued a directive to halt hiring and reduce all departments’ non-salary account lines by seven per cent for the remainder of the current fiscal year, which ends on March 31, 2025.

“We appreciate your understanding and co-operation as we make these difficult decisions to maintain fiscal sustainability for the university,” Navinder Basra, vice-president, finance and administration, wrote in a memo to faculty and staff on Nov. 5.

As of last week, Basra’s office had suspended employees’ ability to expense meals and refreshments for work meetings held during regular business hours, and social functions organized to support educational, research or service activities.

“There’s a freeze on hiring, aside from emergency ones; that means no (teaching assistants) or markers,” said Peter Miller, president of the faculty association that represents roughly 600 academics.

“It’s going to be a really great challenge for faculty members to maintain the same high levels of teaching and evaluation without marking and teaching assistant aid.”

Students who typically fill these positions are also slated to lose income and job experience, Miller said.

“It’s going to be a really great challenge for faculty members to maintain the same high levels of teaching and evaluation without marking and teaching assistant aid.”–Peter Miller

He called the federal government’s new cap on foreign students “the icing on the cake” when it comes to financial challenges at the post-secondary institute that has long received less annual funding per student than its counterparts.

U of W is among the local schools that appear to be affected by global confusion about Canadian universities and colleges in the wake of Ottawa’s multi-year crackdown on international students, announced in January.

Neither the president of the downtown university nor any other senior administrator was made available for an interview on the subject Thursday.

In the spring, U of W’s governing board approved a $179-million budget, which reflects a two per cent increase in year-over-year provincial funding, for 2024-25.

The university had initially budgeted for an 11 per cent increase in annual tuition and fee revenue, which was estimated to surpass $61.2 million.

While they make up a minority of the student population – last year, international students represented 18 per cent of U of W learners — they pay roughly three times the tuition as their peers who are citizens.

U of W did not release up-to-date information on enrolment Thursday.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS FILES
                                The University of Winnipeg is facing a hiring freeze as administration tries to reduce spending after a drop in international enrolment.

RUTH BONNEVILLE / FREE PRESS FILES

The University of Winnipeg is facing a hiring freeze as administration tries to reduce spending after a drop in international enrolment.

Student union leader Tomiris Kaliyeva said she is advocating for a cap on international tuition next year so existing learners do not have to pay even more money and potentially be forced to return to their home countries as a result of their school’s financial struggles.

“We’re obviously worried. We obviously try to make sure that the education is the same quality and security is the same. Those are two of our main concerns right now,” said the president of the students’ association and recent graduate of U of W, who is originally from Kazakhstan.

Kaliyeva said she was given a heads-up at the end of September that campus-wide austerity measures would be introduced in response to the drop in both domestic and international registration, and insufficient provincial funding.

At the time, senior administration singled out security services as one particular area where cost savings would be found, she said.

“We are mindful of workload issues and overtime demands that may occur due to unfilled vacancies and will strive to ensure that our members are treated and compensated fairly,” said Rob Parker of the Association of Employees Supporting Education Services.

University spokesman Caleb Zimmerman confirmed the institution introduced interim measures, including vacancy management and “a delay on hiring decisions,” but provided few details Thursday.

“We are currently in discussions with the provincial government regarding our funding needs and do not have any comments regarding our budget at this time,” Zimmerman said in an email.

Asked about the financial constraints at U of W, a spokesperson for Advanced Education Minister Renée Cable issued a generic statement, saying her office is involved in annual budgeting conversations with all stakeholders.

maggie.macintosh@freepress.mb.ca

Maggie Macintosh

Maggie Macintosh
Education reporter

Maggie Macintosh reports on education for the Free Press. Originally from Hamilton, Ont., she first reported for the Free Press in 2017. Read more about Maggie.

Funding for the Free Press education reporter comes from the Government of Canada through the Local Journalism Initiative.

Every piece of reporting Maggie produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Friday, November 15, 2024 6:25 AM CST: Corrects typo

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Preview

City crews cleaning up drug paraphernalia, weapons having some impact on inner-city life

Malak Abas 7 minute read Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

A three-person crew, employed by the city as part of its recently expanded proactive cleanup program, allowed the Free Press to follow along last week while they worked to make the Freight House Recreation Centre's property safe to play in.

Read
Monday, Aug. 17, 2026

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

First week at supervised drug consumption site issue-free: premier

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 7:17 PM CDT

There were no issues to report after the first week of operations for Manitoba’s first supervised drug consumption site, Premier Wab Kinew said Tuesday.

The Winnipeg space, operating temporarily out of the fenced-off parking lot at 366 Henry Ave. while the adjacent building, which is to become the permanent site, undergoes renovations, opened Aug. 11.

Opening the long-awaited supervised consumption facility was a 2023 NDP election promise to keep people alive in the midst of a toxic street-drug crisis.

Kinew said the facility, which is being run by the Aboriginal Health and Wellness Centre for the province, had quietly served at least 125 clients as of earlier in the week.

Read
Yesterday at 7:17 PM CDT

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Preview

Paralyzed foster girl has system under a microscope

Chris Kitching 6 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

An internal investigation by Manitoba’s Families Department is nearly complete in the case of a six-year-old girl who is paralyzed after being assaulted by her foster mother in Winnipeg.

The review by child-welfare officials is intended to prevent similar incidents, but it’s unlikely the public will learn the findings or recommendations.

“We’re working closely with the (child and family services) authority to make sure that every recommendation is taken seriously and implemented,” Families Minister Nahanni Fontaine said Monday.

“They’re important (investigations) because they help us identify what went wrong so we can make those changes to ensure something like this tragedy never happens again.”

Read
Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Everyone must play the long game

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

Today’s decision is just one small point on a continuum that will go on until Trump is no longer president or, as a nation, we manage to disentangle our economy from our nearest neighbour to the greatest extent possible.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Preview

Pharmacist who failed to disclose addiction, couldn’t account for ‘staggering’ amount of drugs fined $100K by disciplinary panel

Scott Billeck 4 minute read Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT

A June 9 disciplinary decision found more than 39,000 doses went unaccounted for while Glen Pauch, who worked at a Portage la Prairie pharmacy, was consuming drugs and improperly dispensing controlled substances — including opioids oxycodone and hydromorphone, and Concerta, a stimulant prescribed for ADHD — to 11 patients.

Read
Yesterday at 12:50 PM CDT