WPS shopping for second armoured vehicle with funds from seized criminal property Armoured van purchase set to go to tender

The Winnipeg Police Service is moving to purchase a second armoured vehicle for its fleet, this time using funding provided by the province.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 18/11/2024 (641 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The Winnipeg Police Service is moving to purchase a second armoured vehicle for its fleet, this time using funding provided by the province.

Justice Minister Matt Wiebe announced $647,000 in new criminal property forfeiture funding for city police last week, about $415,000 of which is earmarked for new equipment, including a “protective rescue van.”

The van purchase is in the process of going to tender, WPS Supt. Brian Miln, who oversees operational support, said Monday afternoon. He did not say how much of the $415,000 would be spent on the vehicle.

MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES 
The 6.8-tonne Gurkha the WPS purchased in 2015 is bulletproof and looks similar to vehicles used in war zones.
MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES

The 6.8-tonne Gurkha the WPS purchased in 2015 is bulletproof and looks similar to vehicles used in war zones.

“We don’t exactly know (which manufacturers) have the capability to meet the specs of the tender, but that’s the whole purpose of the tender is to see who can put in competitive bids and, of course, meet the minimum specifications needed,” said Miln.

He said the new vehicle will have similar capabilities to the armour-plated Gurkha tactical vehicle the WPS purchased for $343,000 in 2015, but will look more like something civilians drive.

The 6.8-tonne Gurkha, which is bulletproof and has ballistic and explosion protection, looks similar to vehicles used in war zones.

Its purchase raised eyebrows among critics who questioned how the use of the vehicle would be perceived by the public and whether the city was being influenced by the militarization of police in the U.S., where the use of former military and other tactical equipment is extensive among law-enforcement agencies.

Miln said the new van will be used as a supplement to the existing vehicle, to provide police the ability to cover more of a location, rather than having a vehicle deployed on one side of a building, with other officers behind shields, for example.

“It really starts with officer safety, it’s what it’s all about,” said Miln. “I don’t think it’s any secret that firearm violence and the prevalence of firearms has exponentially increased over the last decade, especially in the last six, seven years in the City of Winnipeg.”

The Gurkha is used by tactical officers and crisis negotiators, among others, in high-risk situations such as standoffs and at calls involving confirmed or suspected guns.

Miln emphasized that the purpose of having the vehicles is to ensure officers are afforded the best available protection.

“We have to provide officers the tools that they need to do their job effectively and safely,” he said.

“At the end of the day, do we want these tools? No, we don’t, but the reality of the current environment is that we need these tools, we have to give our members the tools that they require so that they go home at the end of the day.”

MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES 
The new armoured vehicle WPS is looking to purchase won't look like the Gurkha, but something more like what civilians drive.
MIKE DEAL/FREE PRESS FILES

The new armoured vehicle WPS is looking to purchase won't look like the Gurkha, but something more like what civilians drive.

He said police are called to calls requiring such protection, at minimum, weekly.

St. Norbert-Seine River Coun. Markus Chambers, who chairs the Winnipeg Police Board, declined to comment Monday afternoon, as he was travelling.

The Gurkha purchase raised additional concerns about transparency, after the WPS awarded a tender for the purchase without first consulting with the Winnipeg Police Board. The board rules, which, at the time, gave the police chief the authority to use up to $500,000 on operational purchases not included in the service’s capital budget, were then amended to ensure all police purchases over $100,000 go before the board.

The balance of the provincial funding granted to WPS last week is slated for mental health and trauma-informed training for police ($100,000), engagement on an Indigenous advisory council ($30,000) and various other programs.

The forfeiture fund program distributes proceeds from the sale of seized criminal property to law-enforcement agencies and other organizations in Manitoba.

The province is able to apply in Court of King’s Bench to confiscate seized property and money obtained by crime, or used to commit crimes, by filing lawsuits.

erik.pindera@freepress.mb.ca

Erik Pindera

Erik Pindera
Reporter

Erik Pindera is a reporter for the Free Press, mostly focusing on crime and justice. The born-and-bred Winnipegger attended Red River College Polytechnic, wrote for the community newspaper in Kenora, Ont. and reported on television and radio in Winnipeg before joining the Free Press in 2020.  Read more about Erik.

Every piece of reporting Erik produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Veteran actress Grier to headline Film Training Manitoba event

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Preview

Veteran actress Grier to headline Film Training Manitoba event

Gabrielle Piché 3 minute read Yesterday at 7:54 PM CDT

An actress known for her pioneering work in U.S cinema will speak at a Winnipeg event promoting women in film careers.

Pam Grier is slated to talk about breaking barriers and building a lasting career during the Supporting Women in Film Trades (SWIFT) conference.

Grier received a Golden Globe nomination in 1998 for her lead role in Jackie Brown, a Quentin Tarantino movie. Her breakout roles came starring in blaxploitation films Coffy and Foxy Brown — released in 1973 and 1974, respectively.

“Pam Grier was such a huge get for us,” Adam Smoluk, executive director of Film Training Manitoba, said Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 7:54 PM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Fatal stabbing of Ukrainian newcomer left family shattered

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

A man who fatally stabbed a Ukrainian newcomer in “a random, unprovoked, and senseless act of violence” on the street has been sentenced to 10 years behind bars.

Ethan Gladu, 22, was found guilty of manslaughter in February in the December 20, 2023 killing of Ivan Rubanik, a 46-year-old father of two who had fled to Canada for a better life with his family several months before.

Gladu, then 19, randomly stabbed Rubanik shortly before 8 a.m., near Talbot Avenue and Watt Street, as the victim was walking to work that morning. He died of blood loss soon after.

“The people of Winnipeg, or any community, should feel confident that they can go about their business, walk to work, support their family, and carry on with their lives without being attacked,” said Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne on Thursday afternoon as he sentenced the killer.

Read
Yesterday at 5:47 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT