Vacant church fire latest in city’s growing crisis Point Douglas parish a total loss; ‘I’m… desensitized’: church secretary

A flame-ravaged church suffered a final blow Monday night, becoming the latest victim in a scourge of fires repeatedly striking Winnipeg’s vacant properties and running emergency crews ragged.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 07/01/2025 (591 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A flame-ravaged church suffered a final blow Monday night, becoming the latest victim in a scourge of fires repeatedly striking Winnipeg’s vacant properties and running emergency crews ragged.

Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church — now reduced to a roofless, burned-out heap — is a symbol of the growing issue, which reached record highs last year and shows no signs of slowing.

“It’s quite frustrating because it’s a significant use of resources when we have to return to these and they pose an ongoing risk,” Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service deputy chief Scott Wilkinson said.

“When you fight this many fires this frequently, it’s almost a matter of time (before somebody gets hurt).”–Nick Kasper

“It’s been an escalating issue for quite a number of years. In 2024, we don’t have final year numbers, but it anecdotally appears we’ve surpassed all previous years with the number of vacant building fires, unfortunately.”

Firefighters battle a blaze at Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church at 197 Euclid Ave. in Winnipeg Monday evening. (John Woods / Free Press)
Firefighters battle a blaze at Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church at 197 Euclid Ave. in Winnipeg Monday evening. (John Woods / Free Press)

Firefighters arrived at the church near Main Street and Euclid Avenue at about 6:15 p.m. to find the building engulfed in smoke and flames. They were able to fight the fire only from the outside because the building was not safe to enter, the WFPS said.

The temperature was -20 C as firefighters battled the blaze throughout the evening before it was declared under control at about 1 a.m. The building, which also burned in June and was damaged by fires at a neighbouring property in 2023 and 2021, is a complete loss, the WFPS said.

“I’m kind of desensitized to it at this point. It’s sad, but I have to be,” church secretary Stephanie Sarlakis said, speaking outside the ruined structure.

Sarlakis, who visited the building Tuesday to take photos and assess the damage, said the church has been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires that drove the congregation away.

It has officially sat vacant since September but was largely unused dating back to the summer when the last fire caused extensive damage to the basement and banquet area. Holy Ascension did not have insurance on the building, constructed in 1938, which had been denied coverage because of damage to its roof, boiler and other infrastructure, she said.

The parish’s congregation of approximately two dozen people had resorted to hosting services in their own homes.

The church has been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires that drove the congregation away. (John Woods / Free Press)

The church has been plagued by repeated break-ins, thefts and fires that drove the congregation away. (John Woods / Free Press)

The property was listed for sale and a potential buyer had been interested, Sarlakis said. Monday’s blaze struck on the eve of Orthodox Christmas, exacerbating the pain of former parishioners who scoured social media for updates as the house of worship burned, she added.

“We’ll regroup after the holidays and come together as a board and figure it out.”

Mynarski Coun. Ross Eadie said securing insurance is challenging for many properties in the ward, which encompasses parts of the North End and Point Douglas.

“It’s a huge cost. Huge. Small businesses, residents, everybody is suffering here because of the social ills out there on the streets,” Eadie said. “You’ve got these people, whether they are stealing to feed their drug habit, or whatever they are doing, they are the ones who are doing this… we have to provide more opportunity for people not to get into that racket.”

Evidence of squatters littered the building in the months before Monday’s fire, with the interior pillaged of metal piping and wires. Discarded condoms and drug paraphernalia have also been found, Sarlakis said.

Garry Saniuk, the caretaker for an adjacent apartment complex, agreed the former church is frequently targeted by people living on the streets. The 72-year-old man spent the night curled up inside a sleeping bag in his apartment, which was left without heat and electricity for up to seven hours.

The power was restored around 3 a.m., with the temperature dipping below 18 C in his suite, he said.

“It’s a concern,” Saniuk said of vacant buildings and fires in his neighbourhood. “One of the punishments (authorities) should give these people who light these fires is to send them to the burn unit in a hospital for a day and let them see what kind of devastation people suffer.”

The cause of Monday’s fire remains under investigation, but Wilkinson said it was likely manmade.

“When we have buildings that are vacant and secured with no utilities connected to them, there aren’t too many other options,” he said.

The fire in June was being investigated as arson, police said at the time. United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg Local 867 president Nick Kasper said city firefighters face some of the highest call volumes and lowest temperatures in the country. Vacant buildings are dangerous because they are difficult to access and ventilate.

Such properties can present unknown structural hazards, and are typically more involved in fires by the time they are reported, he said.

“That takes a pretty significant toll on our people. Firefighting is a hazardous profession at the best of times and these risks are compounded exponentially,” Kasper said.

“When you fight this many fires this frequently, it’s almost a matter of time (before somebody gets hurt).”

The church had officially been vacant since September.  (Mike Deal / Free Press)
The church had officially been vacant since September. (Mike Deal / Free Press)

Union data suggests firefighters faced an average of 20 vacant property fires per month last year. In the first six days of 2025, crews saw eight significant fires including several in vacant buildings, he said.

The union leader called for more fire resources, saying staff and equipment are stretched dangerously thin. He also said the number of vacant properties must be reduced as soon as possible.

Kasper credited his fellow firefighters for their bravery and dedication in the face of challenging circumstances. Last month, the city began work on a pilot project to inspect unsafe conditions at properties sooner, in the hopes vacant buildings are dealt with before they are set ablaze.

City officials were monitoring 684 properties under Winnipeg’s vacant buildings bylaw, including 526 residential and 158 commercial spots, at the time. The WFPS urged anybody who sees someone entering a vacant building to immediately contact emergency services.

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Tuesday, January 7, 2025 4:49 PM CST: Changes headline, adds deck, quotes, details

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

Letters, Aug 21

7 minute read Preview

Letters, Aug 21

7 minute read Updated: 8:45 AM CDT

Let them put U.S. booze back on the shelves. Then let’s simply not buy it. Our governments can’t be blamed by the U.S. and individual Canadians can make a point.

Read
Updated: 8:45 AM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Preview

Vance weighs in on Jivani trade advocacy and how Carney tried to ‘out-tough’ Trump

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press 5 minute read Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

WASHINGTON - U.S. Vice-President JD Vance weighed in on the latest trade deal with Canada at a fundraising event Wednesday, saying Prime Minister Mark Carney tried to "out-tough" President Donald Trump while crediting his longtime friend Conservative MP Jamil Jivani as a helpful advocate for Canada.

In audio from the fundraiser in Southampton, N.Y., which was provided to The Canadian Press by a source who attended the private function, Vance said Carney is a "very sweet guy" and he gets along with him quite well.

But, Vance said, Carney "comes in and puffs his chest out and says, 'I'm going to, like, out-tough Donald Trump.'"

"It's hilarious because Carney presents this as some victory for Canada when fundamentally, like, they climb down on a lot of issues," Vance told the room.

Read
Updated: 8:49 AM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026