No end(-zone) in sight Flag football season has officially kicked off with sport continuing to grow

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky Saturday as Football Manitoba kicked off another flag football season at Princess Auto Stadium. Games stretched horizontally across the Blue Bombers field, as players aged eight to 18 filed in for their games.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/04/2025 (481 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky Saturday as Football Manitoba kicked off another flag football season at Princess Auto Stadium. Games stretched horizontally across the Blue Bombers field, as players aged eight to 18 filed in for their games.

More Manitobans than ever before are playing flag football as the game’s rapid growth continues to build momentum. Eight years ago, roughly 800 kids were registered to play. This year, nearly 2,400 have signed up.

Bill Johnson, executive director of Football Manitoba, said low equipment costs and relaxed time commitments make flag football an attractive sport for newcomers.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Weston Wizards’ Emmett makes a “tackle” at the flag football season kick off.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Weston Wizards’ Emmett makes a “tackle” at the flag football season kick off.

“There’s not a lot of barriers to participation,” said Johnson. “People show up. You have a couple flags, you have a football, you have a game. Small patch of grass, and off you go.”

Manitoba has a reputation for success across Canada’s flag football community, from the club level to the elite. Team Manitoba won gold at last year’s Elite Flag Nationals in the men’s 18-year-old division, while winning bronze at the men’s under-18 level and both men’s and women’s under-16 levels.

Johnson said the success of Winnipeg’s local teams deserve some credit for the game’s growth.

“The success the (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) have had recently, the success the (Manitoba Bisons) have had recently, I think that gets people excited about football,” said Johnson.

All teams were provided blue or gold flag football jerseys by the Blue Bombers for this weekend’s kick off. The Bombers also spearheaded a high school flag football league for girls which, in its second season, grew from 19 teams to 30.

“The highest level of growth has actually been on the girls’ side,” said Johnson. “This is a co-ed league, and we have all-girls teams competing in that no problem.”

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Weston Wizards’ Judah makes a run as the Football Manitoba’s Blue Bombers Futures Spring Flag League kicked off Saturday at Princess Auto Stadium.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Weston Wizards’ Judah makes a run as the Football Manitoba’s Blue Bombers Futures Spring Flag League kicked off Saturday at Princess Auto Stadium.

12-year-old Ainsley MacLean plays on an all-girls team with several girls from her school. Despite losing their first game of the weekend, MacLean is confident her team will bounce back.

“It was really good. We tried our hardest, but we didn’t win, but we’re going to do better next time,” said MacLean.

MacLean, in her second year of flag football, said the game has been a great way to meet people and get active.

“I get to do things with my friends,” she said. “It’s fun because sometimes we lose, and sometimes we win, and we know that we’re not always the best, but we can be sometimes.”

Flag football is growing on a global scale as well, being named as an event for the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

Johnson said Football Manitoba just hosted a training camp for the Flag National Team Pathway, which helps identify athletes across Canada for the 2028 Olympic team.

“(Flag football national team) athletes are here in Winnipeg, we have some coaches who are part of that Olympic pathway here in Winnipeg,” said Johnson. “The flag community in Winnipeg is a vibrant one.

Ben Little / Free Press
                                Executive director of Football Manitoba Bill Johnson says the highest level of growth in flag football has been on the girls’ side of the sport.

Ben Little / Free Press

Executive director of Football Manitoba Bill Johnson says the highest level of growth in flag football has been on the girls’ side of the sport.

Still three years away from its Olympic debut, flag football’s thriving community shows no signs of slowing.

“All of a sudden, there’s a chance to go somewhere,” said Johnson. “People are competitive and want to compete — they want that chance. And now, now they have it.

“I think we have a real opportunity to have a couple (Manitoban) athletes at the Olympics.”

Manitoba will look to defend its national medals next month, when the Elite Flag Nationals come to Kingston, Ont., May 16 to 18.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: 6:24 PM CDT

Around the NSL: Wild week; Playoff race heats up; Roses bounce back

Grace Anne Paizen 4 minute read Preview

Around the NSL: Wild week; Playoff race heats up; Roses bounce back

Grace Anne Paizen 4 minute read 6:34 PM CDT

It was another Wild week in the Northern Super League — and talk about slaying giants.

Calgary defended its home pitch last Saturday and defeated the league-leading Ottawa Rapid 4-3 at McMahon Stadium.

For the Wild faithful who have stuck with the club all season, this one was for you.

The home side came out firing, barraging Mollie Eriksson and Melissa Dagenais with 16 shots towards the net, with nine of those shots on target.

Read
6:34 PM CDT

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read Preview

ER wait times have hit all-time highs in Winnipeg and are impacting nearly all aspects of hospital operations

Tom Brodbeck 16 minute read 6:00 AM CDT

On most days at Health Sciences Centre’s adult emergency department, all 58 treatment beds are filled with sick patients. Another dozen or so brought in by ambulance line the hallways on stretchers, with only one nurse to look after them.

Out in the waiting room, about 30 or 40 people — sometimes more — are slouched in chairs in pain or discomfort, waiting hours to see a doctor. Most have been assessed by a triage nurse, but many will have to wait 10 to 20 hours to be examined by a physician because there’s no room for them in the treatment area.

Some patients leave because they can no longer tolerate the excruciating wait, only to return days later, sicker than they were before.

Welcome to the emergency department at Manitoba’s largest hospital, where some of the highest-acuity patients seek medical care but now face delays that were unimaginable a few years ago.

Read
6:00 AM CDT

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read Preview

Judge decries ‘senseless acts’ during sentencing for killers in Berens River manslaughter

Erik Pindera 4 minute read 4:37 PM CDT

Two men have admitted their guilt in the beating death of a 45-year-old father in Berens River First Nation last winter.

Michael Oliver Franklin, 32, and Thomas Bryton Goosehead, 24, pleaded guilty to manslaughter Thursday in the Feb. 13, 2025 killing of Leslie Neil Mason.

“These types of senseless acts happen far too often in Berens River and every other small community in Manitoba, including here in Winnipeg,” Court of King’s Bench Justice Kenneth Champagne said.

The men had been charged with second-degree murder, but admitted to the lesser offence as part of a plea bargain struck between their defence lawyers and Crown prosecutor Thomas Boult, largely due to concerns with the strength of the case Boult developed after meeting with witnesses in Berens River.

Read
4:37 PM CDT

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read Preview

Brandon’s Nachtigall comes up short of Canadian Mid-Am title

Mike McIntyre 5 minute read 7:52 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall was about 12-feet away from making history.

But a slippery downhill birdie putt for the win on Friday afternoon in Ontario proved to be a bit too aggressive, leaving the 25-year-old Brandon golfer with a nervy comeback attempt that ultimately fell painfully short.

The resulting bogey, on the 72nd and final hole of play at the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur Championship, left him one shot behind playing partner Garrett Rank, who tapped in his par to claim victory.

“It kind of stings,” Nachtigall told the Free Press shortly after finishing up at the Brantford Golf & Country Club. “At the end of the day, second place in my first time playing this event and losing to a guy who’s now won it four times, I guess I’ll have to take it.”

Read
7:52 PM CDT

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read Preview

Summer flooding sinks some fall harvest hopes

Tiago Resko 4 minute read 7:08 PM CDT

A number of Manitoba farmers say they are expecting this year’s harvest to be one of the worst they’ve seen after major flooding decimated fields at the start of summer.

Bob Elliot, who has been farming east of Stonewall for 43 years, said he’s expecting the operation’s 5,500 acres to produce roughly half their normal yield.

Stonewall has logged the most precipitation this summer, with 523 millimetres of rainfall between May 1 and Aug. 16, according to Manitoba’s weather conditions report.

Elliot said the amount of rain has created a “unique” situation for farmers. “This is something that I don’t think anyone around here has ever seen.”

Read
7:08 PM CDT