No end(-zone) in sight Flag football season has officially kicked off with sport continuing to grow

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky Saturday as Football Manitoba kicked off another flag football season at Princess Auto Stadium. Games stretched horizontally across the Blue Bombers field, as players aged eight to 18 filed in for their games.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/04/2025 (482 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky Saturday as Football Manitoba kicked off another flag football season at Princess Auto Stadium. Games stretched horizontally across the Blue Bombers field, as players aged eight to 18 filed in for their games.

More Manitobans than ever before are playing flag football as the game’s rapid growth continues to build momentum. Eight years ago, roughly 800 kids were registered to play. This year, nearly 2,400 have signed up.

Bill Johnson, executive director of Football Manitoba, said low equipment costs and relaxed time commitments make flag football an attractive sport for newcomers.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Weston Wizards’ Emmett makes a “tackle” at the flag football season kick off.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Weston Wizards’ Emmett makes a “tackle” at the flag football season kick off.

“There’s not a lot of barriers to participation,” said Johnson. “People show up. You have a couple flags, you have a football, you have a game. Small patch of grass, and off you go.”

Manitoba has a reputation for success across Canada’s flag football community, from the club level to the elite. Team Manitoba won gold at last year’s Elite Flag Nationals in the men’s 18-year-old division, while winning bronze at the men’s under-18 level and both men’s and women’s under-16 levels.

Johnson said the success of Winnipeg’s local teams deserve some credit for the game’s growth.

“The success the (Winnipeg Blue Bombers) have had recently, the success the (Manitoba Bisons) have had recently, I think that gets people excited about football,” said Johnson.

All teams were provided blue or gold flag football jerseys by the Blue Bombers for this weekend’s kick off. The Bombers also spearheaded a high school flag football league for girls which, in its second season, grew from 19 teams to 30.

“The highest level of growth has actually been on the girls’ side,” said Johnson. “This is a co-ed league, and we have all-girls teams competing in that no problem.”

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS
                                Weston Wizards’ Judah makes a run as the Football Manitoba’s Blue Bombers Futures Spring Flag League kicked off Saturday at Princess Auto Stadium.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS

Weston Wizards’ Judah makes a run as the Football Manitoba’s Blue Bombers Futures Spring Flag League kicked off Saturday at Princess Auto Stadium.

12-year-old Ainsley MacLean plays on an all-girls team with several girls from her school. Despite losing their first game of the weekend, MacLean is confident her team will bounce back.

“It was really good. We tried our hardest, but we didn’t win, but we’re going to do better next time,” said MacLean.

MacLean, in her second year of flag football, said the game has been a great way to meet people and get active.

“I get to do things with my friends,” she said. “It’s fun because sometimes we lose, and sometimes we win, and we know that we’re not always the best, but we can be sometimes.”

Flag football is growing on a global scale as well, being named as an event for the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles.

Johnson said Football Manitoba just hosted a training camp for the Flag National Team Pathway, which helps identify athletes across Canada for the 2028 Olympic team.

“(Flag football national team) athletes are here in Winnipeg, we have some coaches who are part of that Olympic pathway here in Winnipeg,” said Johnson. “The flag community in Winnipeg is a vibrant one.

Ben Little / Free Press
                                Executive director of Football Manitoba Bill Johnson says the highest level of growth in flag football has been on the girls’ side of the sport.

Ben Little / Free Press

Executive director of Football Manitoba Bill Johnson says the highest level of growth in flag football has been on the girls’ side of the sport.

Still three years away from its Olympic debut, flag football’s thriving community shows no signs of slowing.

“All of a sudden, there’s a chance to go somewhere,” said Johnson. “People are competitive and want to compete — they want that chance. And now, now they have it.

“I think we have a real opportunity to have a couple (Manitoban) athletes at the Olympics.”

Manitoba will look to defend its national medals next month, when the Elite Flag Nationals come to Kingston, Ont., May 16 to 18.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Preview

Executive exodus continues at Shared Health with three recent departures

Chris Kitching 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Manitoba’s provincial health authority is looking for its fourth chief financial officer since 2023 and additional replacements after the recent departures of three executives.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Preview

Quick quotes: Here’s what people are saying about the Canada-U.S. trade negotiations

Catherine Morrison and David Baxter, The Canadian Press 10 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

OTTAWA - The United States imposed 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian exports Saturday, after the two countries failed to reach a new trade deal before an extended deadline imposed by President Donald Trump earlier in the week.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Canada will retaliate with matching dollar-for-dollar tariffs. Carney also suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

Here's what people are saying in response: 

——— 

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:04 PM CDT

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Preview

The good, bad and record setting performance in Bombers loss to Elks

Joshua Frey-Sam 7 minute read Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ 22-19 defeat at the hands of the Edmonton Elks at Commonwealth Stadium in Alberta on Friday was fitting for all the wrong reasons.

The Bombers looked reinvigorated as they jumped out to a 16-point lead in the first half. Then some bad habits reared their ugly head, as the Elks roared back with 19 straight points before kicker Vincent Blanchard walked it off with a 40-yard field goal.

A night that began with so much promise left many fans to wonder what the ceiling actually is for this team in 2026.

On offence, Zach Collaros completed 19 of 30 passes for 219 yards, one touchdown and an interception; Brady Oliveira amassed 118 yards on 16 carries and added a pair of catches for 11 yards; and Nic Demski secured five grabs for 80 yards.

Read
Yesterday at 6:50 PM CDT

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Preview

‘Strong sense of unity’

By Melissa Martin 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Manitoba government and business leaders are rallying behind Prime Minister Mark Carney’s plan to fight back, after a sudden collapse of trade talks between the U.S. and Canada sparked a new salvo of U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods.

On Saturday, after Carney vowed to respond with retaliatory tariffs, Manitoba premier Wab Kinew said his government stood “100 per cent” behind the prime minister’s plan to respond to what Kinew called U.S. president Donald Trump’s “unjustified and immoral” tariffs.

“History will not be kind to Donald Trump, so we should never appease him,” Kinew said. “We should fight back, which is what Canada is doing today.”

Kinew met reporters for a brief news conference at the legislature on Saturday afternoon, about an hour after finishing a call with Carney and the other premiers. There was a “really strong sense of unity” on that call, Kinew said, and emphasized that he backs the federal decision to “walk away from what would have been a bad deal.”

Read
Yesterday at 5:14 PM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT