Telus outage in March shut down 177 calls to 911

The scope of a 40-hour outage that affected Manitoba Telus cellphone users in March is more extensive than first reported — it turns out 59 people frantically dialled 911 without reaching help.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/06/2025 (425 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The scope of a 40-hour outage that affected Manitoba Telus cellphone users in March is more extensive than first reported — it turns out 59 people frantically dialled 911 without reaching help.

The Free Press has reported that family and friends of a Fisher Branch-area man who died of a heart attack had desperately called 911 for 90 minutes, unaware the system was out of service on their Telus-connected phones.

In a report, sent to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission last week, Telus said a review discovered 177 unsuccessful calls were made to 911, by 59 individual Manitobans, from when the service went down on March 22 at 8:15 p.m. to when it came up again on March 24 at about noon.

FRANK GUNN / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES 
Telus has disciplined one of its own employees over the 911 outage, which it blames on an equipment failure in Bell facilities.
FRANK GUNN / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Telus has disciplined one of its own employees over the 911 outage, which it blames on an equipment failure in Bell facilities.

On March 23, 55-year-old Dean Switzer died while family and friends placed 22 calls to 911, which were never answered. They desperately performed CPR on him for 90 minutes.

Only after they reached out to an off-duty RCMP officer in the area, whom they knew, were emergency crews alerted. The officer went to the detachment and called an ambulance.

Telus blamed the outage on “an equipment failure on the Bell facilities, that are part of the 911 network that Telus interconnects with Bell to send calls… Telus does not know the reason for this failure.”

But Telus does admit, in the June 16 submission, it has disciplined one of its own employees over the incident.

The telecommunications company said while the employee was paged within two minutes of the original outage, they failed to follow protocols between Telus and Bell “to escalate the issue within the company. This contributed to the length of the delay for this outage to be remedied.”

The report also says that once the Telus 911 team became aware of the problem on March 24, it was fixed in just over an hour.

In response, Telus has added a double backup system, so 911 calls can still go through automatically if the main system goes down, and, if both of those also fail, it has added a third backup in which calls would be rerouted to live operators who would assist the caller and manually connect the call to emergency services.

Telus told the CRTC it couldn’t divulge further details about the outage because doing so could aid its competitors and help “bad actors” shut down the country’s 911 networks.

The Switzer family could not be reached for comment.

“It is heartbreaking.”–Interlake Gimli MLA Derek Johnson

Progressive Conservative MLA Derek Johnson said he still believes the province has to call an inquiry to probe the outage.

“It is heartbreaking,” Johnson said on Tuesday.

“I can’t imagine the emotional stress families went through at their time of need. We’ve consistently been calling for an inquiry on this. We have to get this so no other Manitoban has this happen to them.”

He said the NDP government “is failing Manitobans” by not holding an inquiry.

Mike Moroz, the minister for innovation and new technology, said Telus did not provide the additional information to the Manitoba government.

“We only found out by looking online at the CRTC,” Moroz said.

“We have no regulatory authority over telecoms. They are providing information to the people who regulate them.”

Moroz said the government wants Manitobans to have access to 911 when they need it.

“We always have to bear in mind that this is an absolute tragedy which fell on the Switzer family,” he said. “Our condolences go out to them.

MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES 
Mike Moroz, the minister for innovation and new technology, said Telus did not provide the additional information to the Manitoba government, and the province only found out via the CRTC.
MIKE DEAL / FREE PRESS FILES

Mike Moroz, the minister for innovation and new technology, said Telus did not provide the additional information to the Manitoba government, and the province only found out via the CRTC.

“We are fortunate, now that we see the number of calls that went to 911, we are very fortunate that it wasn’t worse than it was.”

Moroz said he has not heard from any of the other dozens of Manitobans who unsuccessfully called 911 on that weekend.

“I am certainly pleased to see some additional support has been put in to make sure that 911 is there for Manitobans when we need them.”

Telus spokeswoman Liz Sauve said the latest Telus response to the CRTC was issued after the regulatory body asked the company for more information that could be released publicly.

Sauve said the latest information provided “a detailed account of what happened and how we’ve used learnings from this outage to further enhance our policies and procedures in partnership with Bell to prevent a similar situation from happening again.”

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Kevin Rollason

Kevin Rollason
Reporter

Kevin Rollason was a general assignment reporter at the Free Press.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Preview

Residents fear mailbox crime sprees

Morgan Modjeski 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Some North End residents are concerned new community mailboxes will become a target for vandalism and crime after the base of one was recently lit ablaze — before it was even installed.

The community mailboxes started to show up on Andrews Street within the last two weeks. Some have been installed, while at other locations, only the concrete foundation is in place.

“They just dumped them on the boulevard,” said Stephen Giesbrecht, who lives beside one of the boxes in the St. John’s neighbourhood. “They dumped them on the corner and then they were gone.”

One of the concrete slabs has already played host to a fire and some of the hardware needed to install the mailbox melted.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BigXThaPlug misses Country Rising appearance after arrest

1 minute read Yesterday at 12:05 PM CDT

Country-rap headliner BigXThaPlug, scheduled to appear at the third annual Country Rising festival at Blue Cross Park on Friday, missed performing at the festival after being arrested on drug charges in Texas earlier in the day.

According to Dallas’s KDFW, the performer, born Xavier Landum, was arrested by the Allen Police Department and booked into the Collin County Jail on Friday.

The jail’s website states Landum was charged with driving while intoxicated, marijuana possession of less than two ounces, and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Unresolved issues leave little space for you

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My boyfriend — who is newly divorced — has two great children from his marriage. Although he and I have been together since Christmas, it’s obvious he loves his kids much more than he loves me! For instance, he lavishes affection on the kids when they’re over and completely leaves me out. I’m just the cook and dish-washer for the night.

When I brought this up recently, he said, “My girlfriends don’t last, because if I’m openly affectionate with them, the kids tell their mother we’re making out in front of them! They want all my affection and attention when I’m with them.” Then he added, “Stick around, and the kids will probably loosen up.”

Stick around? The explanation and his “advice” totally turned me off. What do you think?

— Not Second-Best to Anyone, St. Vital

Wait times for MRIs getting worse in Brandon, Dauphin

Rylee Gerrard 4 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

BRANDON — Wait times for MRI scans have surged in the Prairie Mountain Health region during the last two years.

Despite a campaign promise by the NDP in September 2023 to increase the number of allied health professionals capable of administering diagnostic imaging in northern and rural areas, wait times for MRIs have increased dramatically in Brandon and Dauphin.

Median imaging wait times tripled at Dauphin Regional Health Centre between 2024 and 2026, increasing from eight to 24 weeks, according to the province’s wait time dashboard.

The Brandon Regional Health Centre median wait times for MRI scans more than doubled during the same period, from nine to 23 weeks.

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Preview

Kinew’s message for PM: don’t back down

Niigaan Sinclair 5 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Let it be known that when Canada’s provinces and alcohol industries needed a defender, Canada’s first First Nations provincial premier was their greatest warrior.

This is, admittedly, a provocative opening line — referencing historical and cultural intersections and relying on a stereotype or two.

It’s impossible, however, not to see how important the nearly Canada-wide provincial-led ban on the sale of U.S. alcohol is to Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew.

It’s due to his stand on national matters like these that he’s become very popular — according to polls, the most popular premier in Canada — and has been empowered to take on the mantle of one of the captains of “Team Canada” on economic, political and domestic issues.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Friday, Aug. 21, 2026

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Friday, Aug. 21, 2026