Transit’s on-request expansion could pick up slack for riders Overhaul cut more than 1,000 bus stops but zones beefed up for on-demand trips

Winnipeg’s new transit overhaul cut more than 1,000 bus stops across the city, but the expansion of the on-request service could fill the gap for some riders.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 02/07/2025 (413 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Winnipeg’s new transit overhaul cut more than 1,000 bus stops across the city, but the expansion of the on-request service could fill the gap for some riders.

Winnipeg Transit’s on-request bus service — which allows riders to request a bus pickup online, via an app or by calling 311 — began as a pilot project in 2021 and became permanent in 2024 with four zones across Winnipeg.

When the city’s transit system network switched over June 29, it included an expansion to 12 zones around the city where riders can request a bus to take them from where they are to a bus stop on the primary network.

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES
                                Project lead and manager of service development with Winnipeg Transit, Bjorn Radstrom: “With on-request, we can have one bus cover a larger area.”

JOHN WOODS / FREE PRESS FILES

Project lead and manager of service development with Winnipeg Transit, Bjorn Radstrom: “With on-request, we can have one bus cover a larger area.”

Community bus routes in residential areas, which bring riders to nearby services or primary routes, end earlier in the evening under the new transit network. The on-request service is available into the evening, with latest requests in some zones ending at 10:15 p.m.

The on-request zones were determined based on areas of the city with low ridership, said project lead Bjorn Radstrom.

“If we were to put the number of buses in a (low-ridership) area that are needed to carry the number of riders that we expect, you’d end up with a fixed route that has a bus coming every hour and a half or something like that. It’s not very useful to people, and it’s not very convenient, and hardly anybody would take it,” he said earlier this week. “But with on-request, we can have one bus cover a larger area.”

The Free Press put the service to the test using a smartphone Wednesday afternoon to request a ride from a residential area in St. Boniface to a primary stop that would otherwise be a 15-minute walk.

The trip required two apps — the base Winnipeg Transit app to plan the trip, and the Winnipeg Transit+ On-Request app to ask for a ride. Once the ride was requested, the on-request app suggested a pickup spot at the nearest intersection, less than a minute away.

It was a 15-minute wait, and the bus arrived on time. The drive to the bus stop was less than five minutes.

“It’s not a silver bullet that’s going to fix everything, it’s one way of approaching service.”–Bjorn Radstrom

The cost was the same as a regular bus ride and a transfer was provided. The bus driver said the on-request route was busy and he had spent the last four hours fulfilling rider requests using a GPS-enabled tablet he’d received as part of the overhaul.

While Winnipeg Transit’s website estimates on-request buses may take 10 to 20 minutes to arrive, requests made across the city Wednesday by the Free Press ranged from 30-minute waits to less than five minutes.

If an on-request zone sees enough action, it could inform future changes to bus routes, Radstrom said.

The new transit network expands the on-request system to 12 zones in the city, shaded in yellow on the map.
The new transit network expands the on-request system to 12 zones in the city, shaded in yellow on the map.

“It’s not a silver bullet that’s going to fix everything, it’s one way of approaching service,” he said. “If ridership grows in an area and we add resources, there is a tipping point where there’s just too many trips for one request to handle … One of the things we need to learn over the next couple of years is, what is that tipping point?”

The president of a transit advocacy group has mixed feelings about the situation.

Kyle Owens of Functional Transit Winnipeg noted some people do not have access to phones or internet and would be better served by a permanent stop.

“On-demand isn’t real transit. It’s not true service. It is a kind-of service. And with that, the danger is that Winnipeg Transit can increasingly say: ‘here is service,’ and it can point to a huge area on a map and say, ‘well, if people aren’t using it, it’s not a problem.’ When, if there was a reliable service, people would be much more likely to use (it),” he said.

“There’s real potential, and there’s also real potential frustration.”

On-request has the capacity to become a core aspect of Winnipeg Transit ridership’s day-to-day travels, Owens said, but as that ridership is expected to rise in the coming years, the public needs to be consistently informed.

MALAK ABAS / FREE PRESS
                                A Winnipeg Transit on-request bus operates Wednesday within one of 12 designated zones across the city.

MALAK ABAS / FREE PRESS

A Winnipeg Transit on-request bus operates Wednesday within one of 12 designated zones across the city.

“Having that option is great if there is a real information campaign about how to use it, who qualifies and what the benefits are, and that has to be ongoing, that can’t be an email blast.”

Radstrom said the city is in the process of getting the word out.

“We’re still doing advertising about the new network, and we’re going to be doing more as September approaches, because that’s that’s going to be the real test for this whole thing, when everybody’s going back to school, back to work and all that.”

Tim Jichuk, a senior living in the Niakwa Park area, was shocked to learn his typical bus route downtown switched from eight minutes of walking to 23 minutes. The 73 year old worries for other seniors who have seen their walking times jump, especially when winter comes.

“I’m OK for walking, and it’s good for me to get out and walk, but I’m kind of wondering, how many people who are more challenged for walking, (is it) going to be tough for them?” he said.

He hopes the on-request service is able to fill the gap for some of them.

“I (didn’t) know about it, really, either, because to me, it’s always been something that a person who had mobility problems would use.”

Transit Plus continues to provide door-to-door paratransit service for registered riders with accessibility needs.

Transit’s on-request zones can be found at: wfp.to/request.

malak.abas@freepress.mb.ca

Malak Abas

Malak Abas
Reporter

Malak Abas is a city reporter at the Free Press. Born and raised in Winnipeg’s North End, she led the campus paper at the University of Manitoba before joining the Free Press in 2020. Read more about Malak.

Every piece of reporting Malak produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Best to fess up about grandkid-sitting fatigue

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

Dear Miss Lonelyhearts: We love our grandchildren, but now we’re sick of them. The two sets of parents — our adult children — have been parking their kids out here on the farm with us while they take back-to-back road trips to see their friends. We’ve had enough.

Grandma and I want them to come back and get the “brats” (just joking, they’re nice kids) so we can relax.

You have to be so careful with city kids around the farm who don’t know when they’re going to make a mistake and get hoofed by an animal or run over by a farm implement.

How do we tell our kids the party is over early, and they really need to come back before grandma and I give out?

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read Preview

City rescinds Balmoral Street property owner’s order to clean up encampment

Scott Billeck 3 minute read 5:35 PM CDT

A West Broadway landlord is off the hook for clearing a large riverbank encampment after the City of Winnipeg rescinded an order threatening to stick him with the cleanup bill.

Marvin Sharp, CEO of Astroid Management Ltd., which operates the Pen-Eve Apartments at 35 Balmoral St., said he received a call from the city Tuesday letting him know the order has been cancelled.

In a statement from the city, an official said the order was shelved due to an existing and active easement on the property.

“We have been communicating with the property owner throughout this process and they have been informed of this development,” a spokesperson said.

Read
5:35 PM CDT

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read Preview

RRC shelter support worker program grads seek to make difference in lives of province’s most vulnerable

Maggie Macintosh 4 minute read 7:12 PM CDT

Pauline Pollard didn’t hesitate when asked what advice she would give her teenage self, a pregnant young mother of one in an abusive relationship.

“Leave sooner,” she said, citing everything she’s learned over the last 25 years, including at Red River College Polytechnic’s shelter support worker program.

The 43-year-old said she has “a lot of compassion” for women of all ages who find themselves stuck in unsafe situations.

It’s far easier in retrospect to see the warning signs, noting that in her case, an ex-boyfriend started confiscating her clothes and makeup before his controlling behaviour escalated to physical violence.

Read
7:12 PM CDT

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Rural Manitoba homeowner charged with shooting at accused thieves

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read 5:51 PM CDT

A homeowner in southern Manitoba has been charged after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property, police say.

Officers were sent to the Rural Municipality of Dufferin Saturday after a report of a theft in progress. RCMP said four people went to the property, located about 95 kilometres southwest of Winnipeg, and returned later the same day driving two vehicles stolen from Watrous, Sask.

The owner of the property, a 66-year-old man, saw the suspects on a motion-activated camera and saw someone transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles. The man confronted the group and fired shots towards the vehicles, police said.

Three people stayed at the scene until officers arrived and took them into custody, RCMP said. Various items believed to have been stolen from the property were found in the back of a truck. A fourth suspect fled in the other vehicle.

Read
5:51 PM CDT