‘It’s pretty bad’: Johnny G’s restaurant in Exchange burns in early morning fire Historic building constructed in 1882

A longstanding restaurant in Winnipeg’s Exchange District burned Wednesday, causing what could be significant damage to the business and the heritage building in which it operates.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/08/2025 (366 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A longstanding restaurant in Winnipeg’s Exchange District burned Wednesday, causing what could be significant damage to the business and the heritage building in which it operates.

“Things are not looking well at all,” John Giannakis, owner of Johnny G’s restaurant, said by phone Wednesday morning.

“The fire commissioner won’t let us in yet, so we don’t know, (but), from what they told me, it’s pretty bad.”

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS 	
Fire crews were called to the commercial building at 5:45 a.m., and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from within, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Fire crews were called to the commercial building at 5:45 a.m., and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from within, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

Giannakis said he believes the fire damaged both floors of the two-storey, brick structure, which has stood at 177 McDermot Ave. for nearly a century and a half.

Fire crews were called to the commercial building at 5:45 a.m., and arrived to find smoke and flames coming from within, the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service said in a news release.

Firefighters declared the blaze under control about an hour later. They searched the building and found it empty. No injuries were reported, the release said.

The release said damage estimates are not available, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

By 1:20 p.m., the restaurant’s front windows had been covered by large sheets of white plywood, and contractors were screwing the metal front door closed. A staircase leading to a basement bar, Wee Johnny’s, was covered in shards of soot-covered glass.

The restaurant’s brick facade showed no visible signs of damage.

The smell of smoke lingered in the air as passersby side-stepped the caution tape cordoning off a portion of the front sidewalk. One woman stood behind the fire line, repeatedly glancing down at her phone and then back up at the shuttered restaurant.

She had just used an online app to order and pay for a meal from Johnny G’s, and was bewildered to find the restaurant crawling with firefighters, she said.

A police officer carrying a black portfolio was spotted walking around the building’s perimeter, snapping photos on his phone.

Winnipeg Police Service Const. Stephen Spencer said officers from the major crimes unit are assisting with the investigation.

“I have no further information I can provide regarding the circumstances of the fire,” he said in an email.

Police and fire investigators frequently work together during fire probes, Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson Erin Madden said in an email.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Owner John Giannakis said he believes the fire damaged both floors of the two-storey, brick structure, which has stood at 177 McDermot Ave. for nearly a century and a half.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Owner John Giannakis said he believes the fire damaged both floors of the two-storey, brick structure, which has stood at 177 McDermot Ave. for nearly a century and a half.

Giannakis has received no indication from officials about how the fire may have started, he said.

“There was police present, but I haven’t spoken to them, so I don’t know. They would have those answers,” he said.

The restaurateur said he could not provide any further details, as he was busy dealing with the aftermath.

“I’m trying to phone the insurance on the other end, plus my accountant and everything else… I’ve got to phone everybody — from staff, to everybody — to make sure everybody is aware,” he said.

Giannakis has operated the McDermot restaurant since 1996. The building underwent significant renovations around 2014, when Giannakis renovated its basement into a classic Irish pub.

Wee Johnny’s went on to become a staple in Winnipeg’s comedy scene in 2019.

The bar officially stopped hosting open mic comedy last week, but remained a popular destination for karaoke, Winnipeg comic Jeff Gobeil said by phone.

“We really had a good thing going there,” said Gobeil, who regularly hosted open mic nights.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS  
Owner John Giannakis has received no indication from officials about how the fire may have started, he said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Owner John Giannakis has received no indication from officials about how the fire may have started, he said.

Gobeil said the spot functioned as a training ground for rookie comics, allowing them a small, friendly venue to cut their teeth and work up the ranks of the local scene.

“I would tell the new (comics), ‘Wee Johnny’s is religion. You’re there. It’s the place to be,’” he said. “It wasn’t without its problems… but it was ours. That place is going to live in my heart.”

The restaurant and bar are currently for sale for $1.5 million, according to an online listing. The business features seating for up to 230 patrons between the main floor and basement. The top floor has 13 offices, it said.

Giannakis also owned and operated a second location on Main Street, but that business closed and was sold “some time ago,” he said.

“Johnny G’s is a very special business, not just for Winnipeg but for the entire city,” David Pensato, the executive director of the Exchange District BIZ, said by phone.

“Restaurants come and go, but there are really only a handful of restaurants like that, that really are around for such a long period.”

“Restaurants come and go, but there are really only a handful of restaurants like that, that really are around for such a long period.”–David Pensato

The City of Winnipeg granted the building historic status on July 15, 1985. According to a report prepared for the historical buildings committee, the structure was built in 1882.

Known as the T.W. Taylor building, it operated as a warehouse, office and printing plant for the Thomas W. Taylor Company until 1967. The company specialized in quality bookbinding and the printing of account books and blank cheques for commercial use, the report said.

The building went on to house an art studio and interior design firm in the early 1970s. Later, it was home to a restaurant, modelling academy and fitness studio.

Cindy Tugwell, Heritage Winnipeg’s executive director, said the building’s age makes it a rarity, even in the Exchange District, which is considered a national historic site.

She said she was working at the nearby Millennium Centre around 10 a.m., when she saw fire crews at the building and rushed over to take a look.

“It’s devastating,” she said by phone. “You just take it for granted that it’s always going to be there.”

Tugwell said she is anxiously awaiting news about whether the fire caused structural damage.

“You just have to wait and see and cross your fingers,” she said.

tyler.searle@freepress.mb.ca

Tyler Searle

Tyler Searle
Reporter

Tyler Searle is a multimedia producer who writes for the Free Press’s city desk. A graduate of Red River College Polytechnic’s creative communications program, he wrote for the Stonewall Teulon Tribune, Selkirk Record and Express Weekly News before joining the paper in 2022. Read more about Tyler.

Every piece of reporting Tyler produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 12:45 PM CDT: Photo added

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 5:43 PM CDT: Adds quotes, details, photos, deck

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 6:00 PM CDT: Changes to 1:20 p.m. from a.m.

Updated on Wednesday, August 20, 2025 7:42 PM CDT: Updates headline to early morning fire

Updated on Thursday, August 21, 2025 10:48 AM CDT: Corrects spelling of Gobeil

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read Preview

Nachtigall top of the pack heading into Canadian Mid-Am final

Mike McIntyre 4 minute read 5:48 PM CDT

Evan Nachtigall is trying not to get ahead of himself. But you’ll forgive the young Manitoba golfer for pondering the “what if” as he stands on the cusp of a career milestone.

Nachtigall, 25, sits alone on top of the Canadian Men’s Mid-Amateur championship through 54 holes. He is 17-under par and carries a two-shot lead into Friday’s final round at the Brantford Golf & Country Club in Ontario.

“It would be incredible, but there is a lot of golf left to go so I won’t be thinking too much about that until hopefully the final putt drops,” Nachtigall told reporters on scene Thursday.

The Brandon product is aiming to become the first Manitoban to win the national title since Todd Fanning did so in 2017, winning a playoff over Ontario’s Garrett Rank.

Read
5:48 PM CDT

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

WSD official expects older students to get free youth Transit passes first in staggered rollout of pilot program

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read 6:37 PM CDT

A program allowing youths to ride Winnipeg Transit buses fare-free is on track to start next month, though some will wait longer than others to get their passes.

The provincially funded Free Youth Transit Pass Pilot program will provide no-cost rides to youths between the ages of 11 and 17 and high school students between the ages of 18 and 21.

On Thursday, Premier Wab Kinew revealed not all students will be eligible when school resumes next month, as passes will be available based on grade levels.

“It’s going to happen week by week, more and more students will be getting the bus passes. So, this is just at the request of the people who run Transit, so that they can accommodate this new program. As you go back to school, you’ll find out how the bus passes are going to be distributed,” said Kinew.

Read
6:37 PM CDT

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Preview

Downtown outage caused by construction mishap: Bell MTS

Zoe Pierce 3 minute read Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Some customers in downtown Winnipeg are experiencing a Bell MTS service interruption after telecommunications infrastructure was damaged Tuesday.

Bell MTS said on social media that a third-party construction crew accidentally cut a copper cable, causing the outage.

Contractors drilled through multiple underground ducts, causing significant damage to several cables and requiring extensive repairs.

A small number of buildings, mainly concentrated on Fort Street, Garry Street and York Avenue, may be experiencing landline or internet issues because of the damage, said Bell spokesperson Elise von Scheel.

Read
Updated: 4:07 PM CDT

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Preview

Carney asks provinces to return U.S. alcohol to stores

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 6 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

OTTAWA - Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston says Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to restock American alcohol on their shelves as Canada finalizes a trade deal with the U.S. 

U.S. President Donald Trump announced Tuesday he would put a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs that would have hit an array of Canadian goods just after midnight Wednesday.

The two governments are now finalizing the language of the deal.

Carney, who briefed cabinet ministers and premiers about the draft plan Wednesday, said the deal it builds on Canada's existing trade advantages with the U.S.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 8:41 PM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Preview

‘Useful starting point’: Manitoba teacher commissioner received 94 complaints in 15 months, report reveals

Maggie Macintosh 5 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT

Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 4:28 PM CDT