‘They can’t break me’: Resident defiant after encampment burns Tent, sleeping bag, belongings gone after ‘deliberate’ fire near Assiniboine River

An encampment resident who lives along the banks of the Assiniboine River believes her shelter was deliberately set on fire Sunday night.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/09/2025 (325 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

An encampment resident who lives along the banks of the Assiniboine River believes her shelter was deliberately set on fire Sunday night.

The woman, who is not being named to protect her privacy, said she lost everything — including a tent and sleeping bag she had just received from a nearby outreach group.

“I have nothing left,” she said on Monday, noting she now shares a tent with a friend at Mostyn Place Park behind the Granite Curling Club. “I wasn’t there at the time. It was deliberate. It wouldn’t be the first time it happened to me.”

Scott Billeck / Free Press
                                A fire at an encampment along the Assiniboine River near Spence Street and Balmoral Street destroyed a tent, sleeping bag and other belongings of a homeless resident. ‘I’ll be fine,’ the woman said.

Scott Billeck / Free Press

A fire at an encampment along the Assiniboine River near Spence Street and Balmoral Street destroyed a tent, sleeping bag and other belongings of a homeless resident. ‘I’ll be fine,’ the woman said.

Her friend, who also asked not to be named, said fires like this aren’t unusual. He said it’s happened to him twice in one year, for the same reason.

“Jealousy,” he said.

Farther west along the walking path that winds through the riverbank, a scorched patch down the embankment at the end of Spence Street remained.

“It’s scary,” said another encampment resident, whose tent was several feet away from the fire.

That individual, who also declined to have their name published, said they’ve been living in the area for a couple of weeks after losing their housing.

The city confirmed Monday that Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service crews were sent to a fire on the riverbank in the first 100 block of Spence Street Sunday at 8:30 p.m. The blaze was quickly extinguished and no injuries were reported, a city spokesperson said.

A request for comment from a member of the Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service executive went unanswered.

The Free Press was told that concerns about this encampment had been raised with both the WFPS and the city as recently as last week.

“They’ve tried everything to try and break me, but they can’t. I’ll be fine.”

The woman who lost her shelter said it’s the third time this year an encampment in that spot has gone up in flames.

On the ground, a blackened tree trunk, a melted recycling bin, twisted tent poles and charred scraps of clothing marked the burn site.

“Everything is gone. Everything I’ve gathered over the past two years… I’ve been staying down there since March,” the woman said, adding that her clothes, bed, and blankets had all been reduced to rubble. “But they can’t break me. They’ve tried everything to try and break me, but they can’t. I’ll be fine.”

A nearby resident posted a photo to Reddit of the blaze from their balcony and said they heard a couple of “pops” and immediately knew what was happening.

“It happens every year,” said the resident, who asked not to be named, adding that it sounded like bombs were going off.

He supports the idea of a sanctioned space for encampment residents.

“A sanctioned encampment site on the legislature grounds, which is not very far away from (the encampments behind Granite Curling Club and Mostyn Place Park), would be a suitable place to “showcase to the world” what we are doing here in Manitoba to take care of their own,” he said.

He feels a site on the legislature grounds would also compel politicians who have to look at it every day to do more to address the growing issue.

“Right now, it’s being hidden. It’s being tucked away. We’re turning a blind eye to it,” he said. “All we are doing is spinning our wheels.”

Last week, the city approved a motion from Coun. Cindy Gilroy (Daniel McIntyre) to ban encampments in public spaces, including playgrounds, spray pads, community gardens, pools and community centre spaces designed for children and families.

Later Monday, the woman whose tent went up in flames had secured a new one, thanks to a helper. She planned to visit an outreach organization on Tuesday to try and get another sleeping bag.

“I haven’t decided (where I will go now),” she said.

Beside her friend’s tent was a shopping cart full of items that the woman had scrounged up from bins earlier that morning.

“I’ll be fine,” she said.

scott.billeck@freepress.mb.ca

Scott Billeck

Scott Billeck
Reporter

Scott Billeck is a general assignment reporter for the Free Press. A Creative Communications graduate from Red River College, Scott has more than a decade’s worth of experience covering hockey, football and global pandemics. He joined the Free Press in 2024.  Read more about Scott.

Every piece of reporting Scott produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Monday, September 29, 2025 7:31 PM CDT: Adds update to story

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Preview

Somali refugee admits he helped to smuggle African migrants into Manitoba for money

Erik Pindera 6 minute read Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

A Somali refugee who was twice caught by RCMP assisting in the smuggling of desperate African migrants into Manitoba during the frigid winter — including while out on bail, months after he was first arrested with eight foreign nationals in his vehicle — has admitted he did so for money.

Read
Yesterday at 5:54 PM CDT

Manitoba’s liquor regulator has accused an Exchange District nightclub of exceeding its occupant capacity limit and hindering the work of inspectors.

Diablo, located at Main Street and Bannatyne Avenue, is scheduled to appeal two compliance orders, issued by the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba, at a Sept. 8 hearing.

An LGCA spokesperson said the compliance orders are part of an ongoing investigation.

The spokesperson said one of the orders was issued after the licensed club was over capacity April 26.

Ramifications of the high cost of pet care

Editorial 4 minute read Preview

Ramifications of the high cost of pet care

Editorial 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

They are widely considered to be, as the timeless adage reminds, our best friends. In most cases and contexts, there’s almost nothing we wouldn’t do to ensure they’re safe, healthy and happy.

But caring for a pet has become decidedly more complicated and burdensome of late, owing in part to the rising cost of the veterinary care that is now an inevitable element of the pet-ownership experience.

Recent reporting shows a sharp increase in the number of pets being surrendered to animal shelters as a result of their owners’ inability to cover the costs of veterinary bills while dealing with the overall increase in the cost of living.

A spokesperson for the Winnipeg Humane Society said 150 animals were surrendered there in July alone, primarily because their owners could not afford vet care. The Winnipeg Pet Rescue Shelter reports at least 200 pets surrendered this year by owners who cited finances as the reason for their difficult decision.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Preview

Pair of banks abandoning Brandon’s downtown

Abiola Odutola 2 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Two of Canada’s major banks are set to relocate from their longstanding downtown Brandon locations in October.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Preview

Costco breaks ground on new West St. Paul store

Gabrielle Piché 4 minute read Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Construction has begun on the American retailer's newest Manitoba location which developers expect will open in August 2027.

Read
Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Preview

Pre-owned sets seller Romo’s Bricks seeks to click with Winnipeg’s Lego community

Aaron Epp 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:17 PM CDT

There’s no mortar in sight but there are certainly thousands of bricks at a new brick-and-mortar store in Winnipeg catering to Lego enthusiasts.

Ashton Romaniuk and Madison Froome opened Romo’s Bricks in late spring. Located at 955 Milt Stegall Dr., in the same building as CanCentral Sports Cards & Memorabilia, the store specializes in selling pre-owned Lego sets, minifigures and other Lego-related products.

“It’s something we’re both passionate about,” Froome said.

To stock the store, she and Romaniuk spent $50,000 on four large Lego collections, purchased from local collectors. Romaniuk estimates that since the store opened on June 2, inventory has grown to $250,000 worth of Lego.

Read
Yesterday at 8:17 PM CDT