O’Shea preaches continuity; ‘The sky isn’t falling,’ head coach says Bombers’ roller-coaster season crashes to an end in Montreal

For most of the season, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers looked nothing like a group that had been to five consecutive Grey Cups.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 03/11/2025 (291 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

For most of the season, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers looked nothing like a group that had been to five consecutive Grey Cups.

Despite falling well short of making it to a sixth, head coach Mike O’Shea calmly delivered a message in Monday’s end of season press conference.

“The sky isn’t falling, and we’ll be just fine. We got a great group of guys in here to make sure of that,” he said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea will be meeting with club president Wade Miller soon to negotiate a new contract.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea will be meeting with club president Wade Miller soon to negotiate a new contract.

First, O’Shea needs a new contract to make sure he is one of those guys in 2026. His deal is set to expire, and the same goes for general manager Kyle Walters.

O’Shea said he expects conversations will take place between himself, Walters, and club president Wade Miller shortly, but wouldn’t expand on his future despite being pressed about it several times.

The Bombers lost 42-33 on Saturday in Montreal in the East Division semifinal.

“I’ll never talk about my contract status to the media. I’m never gonna negotiate through the media,” said O’Shea.

After 12 years in Winnipeg, would a new challenge appeal to him? There is a head coach vacancy in his home province with the Ottawa Redblacks, after all.

“I don’t offer myself a lot of time to think about other things,” said the North Bay, Ont., product.

Moving on.

Assuming O’Shea does stay put, he made it obvious he’s not in favour of roster overhaul.

“Do I believe in wholesale change? Never. I think what’s led us to this point is continuity, so, I’ll never believe in wholesale change,” said O’Shea.

“Do I believe in wholesale change? Never. I think what’s led us to this point is continuity, so, I’ll never believe in wholesale change.”

“But it’s pro sport, there’s always some. For what we believe in and what we’ve witnessed, the less the better.”

Some would argue a change needs to be made at offensive co-ordinator. O’Shea was asked if Jason Hogan had shown enough to warrant being brought back as the team’s playcaller.

The Bombers ranked fifth in net offence (345.7), seventh in offensive points (416), eighth in first downs, and last in passing yards (235 per game).

“He’s a first-year OC, but he’s a long-time coach, and he’s one of the hardest working guys you’ll ever be around,” said O’Shea.

“Yeah, he deserves the opportunity to have that conversation, for sure, and to come back. That requires more study and more conversation and some certainty.”

Several times throughout the season players voiced their displeasure with the offence, most notably running back Brady Oliveira. O’Shea doesn’t see that as a cause for concern.

“I think the players, they all know when they say those things that I’m the one who has to clean all that mess up,” he said.

“I also think there was some frustration in their own level of play, too, right? And they wanted things to go better, and it wasn’t quite looking the way they wanted it to look or what they expected.”

Christopher Katsarov / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
                                Winnipeg running back Brady Oliveira was one of the more notable players on the Bombers to voice his displeasure with the team’s offence.

Christopher Katsarov / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Winnipeg running back Brady Oliveira was one of the more notable players on the Bombers to voice his displeasure with the team’s offence.

Quarterback Zach Collaros shared some insight in his presser Sunday by saying the way they practised in training camp didn’t put them on a path to success.

It also didn’t help that quarterbacks coach Jarious Jackson wasn’t around for camp to attend to a personal matter.

“Repped a lot of things that we didn’t rep during the season. I didn’t get a lot of reps with guys who were playing,” Collaros said.

“Reps with what concepts do we like. What can we, on second-and-six, second-and-five, with the game on the line, what are we going to call because we know we can execute the play? I don’t know if we had that this year.”

O’Shea’s response: “I think that’s a bigger project than just me answering that right now. It’s certainly something he brought up, and I wouldn’t be a head coach if I didn’t look into that. But that’s a much longer study.”

Defence and special teams are more in O’Shea’s wheelhouse, but if there’s something he wish he could’ve done differently this season, it would involve the troops that put points on the board.

“I think I absolutely could’ve been a better support system for the offence. I’m not going to design plays, but I think could’ve been better with them and helped them out a little more,” he said.

Did the Bombers spend to the salary cap? Did they do everything in their power to put the absolute best roster on the field in a year where they’re hosting the Grey Cup? Do they need to move on from some aging vets?

Christopher Katsarov / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES
                                Blue Bombers quarterback Zach Collaros says the way the team practised in training camp didn’t put them on a path to success.

Christopher Katsarov / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Blue Bombers quarterback Zach Collaros says the way the team practised in training camp didn’t put them on a path to success.

Those questions are better suited for Walters, who will face the music soon.

To supporters who are disappointed with how 2025 transpired, O’Shea’s not going to argue.

“If they were in here every day, they would be less concerned,” said O’Shea.

“We’ve got great fans… and, shoot, they sold out the stadium (the entire season) — they buy the tickets. They’re certainly entitled to have their opinions. The solutions are up to us to find.”

taylor.allen@freepress.mb.ca

Taylor Allen

Taylor Allen
Reporter

Taylor Allen is a sports reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. Taylor was the Vince Leah intern in the Free Press newsroom twice while earning his joint communications degree/diploma at the University of Winnipeg and Red River College Polytechnic. He signed on full-time in 2019 and mainly covers the Blue Bombers, curling, and basketball. Read more about Taylor.

Every piece of reporting Taylor produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Puzzles Palace

1 minute read Monday, Jul. 27, 2026

To solve our puzzles, please subscribe with this special offer: |

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Preview

Planned Elmwood Hub project combines 115 mixed-income housing units, social supports, programs

Joyanne Pursaga 5 minute read Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

A long-awaited project will aim to add 115 new homes in Elmwood, with on-site social programs to support some of its more vulnerable residents.

Read
Yesterday at 5:08 PM CDT

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read Preview

Bombers face season test playing best in the West

Joshua Frey-Sam 8 minute read 3:31 PM CDT

The page has officially flipped to the second half of the season, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers find themselves teetering in the CFL’s grey zone, with the scale capable of tipping in either direction.

Sure, the club would be in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but it’s closer to the bottom of the West Division than it is to the top.

The club’s perpetually optimistic head coach Mike O’Shea said earlier this week that his team is “probably where we need to be.”

Beyond O’Shea, it’s a mixed bag of reviews from coaches and players alike about how they are feeling through nine contests.

Read
3:31 PM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Yesterday at 6:32 PM CDT

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Preview

‘Frustrated’ Selkirk nurses plead for help

Morgan Modjeski 3 minute read Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT

The province must take immediate action to increase low staffing levels that are putting Selkirk emergency room nurses at risk, a letter sent to the premier and health minister says.

The letter, sent by the Manitoba Nurses Union and signed by 35 ER nurses, detailed multiple recent incidents at the Selkirk Regional Health Centre. In one case, a nurse was stabbed with a pen by a patient who had been waiting 24 hours for care. In another case, a nurse was bitten by a patient.

“Nurses in that emergency department are extremely frustrated,” said Manitoba Nurses Union president Darlene Jackson. “This is not something that happened in the last month — or overnight — these are problems that have been growing.”

The five-page letter was sent Tuesday to Premier Wab Kinew, Health Minister Uzoma Asagwara and leaders of the Interlake-Eastern Regional Health Authority. It contained 10 requests to improve safety inside the emergency department, including establishing safer nurse-to-patient staffing levels, eliminating the practice of “single physician coverage” in the emergency department and implementing an institutional safety officer around the clock.

Read
Yesterday at 5:21 PM CDT