Get vaccinated for flu, COVID-19, measles to protect crowded hospitals: top doc

The province’s top doctor is asking Manitobans to get vaccinated as respiratory virus season threatens to strain hospitals and measles outbreaks tear through parts of Manitoba.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/02/2026 (190 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The province’s top doctor is asking Manitobans to get vaccinated as respiratory virus season threatens to strain hospitals and measles outbreaks tear through parts of Manitoba.

“We have to be aware the risk is quite high,” chief provincial public health officer Dr. Brent Roussin said Thursday morning at the legislature.

An estimated 3,000 Manitobans have shown up at hospital emergency and urgent care departments with respiratory illness so far this season, he said.

Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer (Ruth Bonneville / Free Press files)

Dr. Brent Roussin, chief provincial public health officer (Ruth Bonneville / Free Press files)

“This is even more than what we’ve seen in similar times during the (COVID-19) pandemic,” said Roussin.

This time, co-ordinated planning across Manitoba’s health system has helped to manage the pressures, he said.

“Public health, Shared Health, regional health authorities and front-line teams work together throughout a provincewide approach. Real-time monitoring, daily co-ordination and activation of surge plans as needed are really responding to this increased demand,” the doctor said.

Roussin said those efforts, along with increased investments in staffing and capacity, help to maintain safe care while the system faces increased demands.

“Vaccine remains one of the most effective tools we have.”

He urged Manitobans to get vaccinated, saying it’s not too late.

“Vaccine remains one of the most effective tools we have to prevent severe illness, reduce hospitalizations and ICU demand. Staying up to date with influenza and COVID-19 vaccines lowers your risk of serious complications and help protect those around you. This is significantly more important for those at increased risk — young children, older adults, those with underlying medical conditions,” Roussin said.

The same goes for measles, a highly contagious disease that’s been spreading in Manitoba for more than a year and infected attendees at Ag Days in Brandon last month. He said more than 30 cases “and counting” can be linked to the event known as “Canada’s largest indoor farm show.”

“Because of that large exposure, we’re seeing increased transmission of measles within Prairie Mountain Health region,” he said.

Vaccine eligibility has been expanded in the region as well as Southern Health so children from six months to under one year are now eligible for a dose.

“Anyone who lives in those regions or frequently travels to or frequently in contact with people from those regions would be eligible for that vaccine expansion.”

Health-care providers there were advised Wednesday to ensure that measles vaccination is up to date for those children, especially in the rural municipalities of Stanley, Rhineland, Thompson, Dufferin, Roland, “where we see persistent high levels of transmission of measles within those communities,” Roussin said.

“We know that 100 per cent of those cases were entirely preventable.”

“Take as much precaution as possible and those children under a year but over six months — we really want to encourage them to get that early dose of vaccine to protect them from that ongoing transmission.”

The measles outbreak over the last year has resulted in 22 admissions to Children’s Hospital, two of whom required intensive care, he said.

“What’s really concerning about those is we know that 100 per cent of those cases were entirely preventable.”

Roussin said the province is also updating how it’s announcing exposure locations so people have time to get vaccinated within the six-day exposure window. The measles vaccine can be administered up to six days after exposure to prevent or modify the severity of the disease. He said detailed lists would be posted on the province’s website so the information would remain current and accessible.

“Anyone who believes they’ve been exposed should check their immunization records and ensure they’re up to date with measles vaccine. Individuals who develop symptoms should stay home, avoid public spaces, (and) call ahead before seeking medical care to ensure appropriate precautions are taken to have you assessed,” Roussin said.

He noted isolation procedures even put a strain on the system.

“When people even present for testing, then certain areas of that building can’t be used for a little bit of time.”

Vaccination works, and the proof is in the low number of measles cases seen where immunization rates are high, the doctor said.

“We really have strong tools against the spread of measles and that’s vaccination. In parts of the province where we have a very good vaccine uptake, we’re not seeing active transmission of that virus.”

For general questions or advice, contact Health Links, he said.

carol.sanders@freepress.mb.ca

Carol Sanders

Carol Sanders
Legislature reporter

Carol Sanders is a reporter at the Free Press legislature bureau. The former general assignment reporter and copy editor joined the paper in 1997. Read more about Carol.

Every piece of reporting Carol produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

 

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

History

Updated on Thursday, February 12, 2026 1:54 PM CST: Adds details

Updated on Friday, February 13, 2026 11:25 AM CST: Fixes typo

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Preview

City blames weather for creating new sinkhole on Sturgeon Creek path

Malak Abas 3 minute read Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

After a massive water-filled hole on a Sturgeon Creek active-transportation pathway took more than a year to fix, a new sinkhole has opened nearby.

In June 2023, the Free Press reported on a gaping depression stretching seven metres long, three metres wide and up to a metre deep that opened on a pathway leading to a playground on Amarynth Crescent near the Sturgeon Creek active-transportation route. The city finally made repairs in October 2024.

Now, about 12 metres away from that spot, a new crater has appeared. The hole, about three metres long and 2.5 metres wide, has been blocked off using metal rods and plastic netting, but resident Philip Kaban said the opening is getting larger.

“This big hole in the middle is getting bigger and bigger,” Kaban said Thursday.

Read
Yesterday at 6:12 PM CDT

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 7 minute read Preview

Finish summer strong with these fun, relaxing options

Conrad Sweatman 7 minute read 5:00 AM CDT

Late summer can feel neither here nor there.

As on a Sunday night, a certain back-to-school or -work melancholy sets in. The big Manitoba festivals have come and gone. You’re starting to take a reckoning of all the craft beer and food-truck calories you’ve sopped up for two months, without having done as much hiking, canoeing or yard work as you promised yourself.

The wind begins breathing threats of fall, but the golden colours, jack-o’- lanterns and corn mazes aren’t here yet to reassure you of fall’s dusky pleasures. Instead, on a perfect 22 C day, you find yourself having flashbacks of Winnipeg winter nights colder than Mars.

Are we being overly depressing? Absolutely.

Read
5:00 AM CDT

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Preview

Rural residents ‘outraged’ property owner charged after shots fired during confrontation with alleged thieves: MLA

Zoe Pierce 5 minute read Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

A rural Manitoba MLA says he has heard from constituents who are “shocked and outraged” that a 66-year-old man is facing charges after he fired shots at a group of people accused of stealing from his property.

Read
Yesterday at 8:02 PM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Preview

Man pleads guilty to shotgun slaying

Erik Pindera 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

A Winnipeg drug dealer has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a March 2025 killing that saw the body of a 30-year-old man dumped in a garbage bin and dragged to a West End alleyway.

Frederick Francis Mathias Baker, who was 28 upon his arrest early last year, shot Bronson Emery Dale Kequahtooway once in the thigh with a sawed-off shotgun and left him with a fatal wound, Crown prosecutor Matt Armstrong told Court of King’s Bench Justice Brian Bowman on Wednesday.

A split second after Baker shot Kequahtooway in the thigh, the victim was shot in the head with a sawed-off .22 rifle. The man accused of being armed with the rifle, Eric Matthew Morrissette, remains before the court on a second-degree murder charge.

“Either wound would have been fatal on its own,” said Armstrong.

Read
Yesterday at 2:01 AM CDT

Kids need some sense of split parents’ situation

Maureen Scurfield 5 minute read Yesterday at 2:00 AM CDT

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: On our last day at a beach rental cabin the kids and I were packing up later than the rules asked for, when a familiar car pulled in next door. It was my ex-husband with his new woman and her kids.

My children yelled out, “Look Mom, it’s Daddy! He came to the lake to see us!” and ran over to him for hugs. His girlfriend had the cabin keys dangling, nodded at me, and went inside quickly.

I said to my former husband, “Fancy meeting you here! Come on kids, we’re going home now.” My ex said, “Oh, settle down. Give me a few minutes with my kids, will you?”

So, I finished packing and locked the cabin door, and waited for the kids for 30 minutes in our car. Then I started to cry. It just came gushing out and I couldn’t control it. Finally, my ex brought the children back out. He could see I’d been crying and said in disgust, “Get over it, princess. I have!”