$2.2-million to boost public safety downtown Beleaguered downtown business owners welcome province’s help to make streets safer over summer

Drug use and vandalism are social struggles Brenden Gali witnesses regularly around his Portage Avenue business.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

Drug use and vandalism are social struggles Brenden Gali witnesses regularly around his Portage Avenue business.

“We have seen the community deteriorate in the past little while (in terms of) community health and overall safety. So, it has been a challenge to serve our community, seeing so many new faces on the street openly using drugs without care…

“We witness vandalism weekly. I’ve had to interfere with altercations outside our door frequently,” said Gali, general manager of Public Domain, a restaurant, bar and live music venue on Portage between Furby and Sherbrook streets.

He previously told the Free Press his employees and customers administer anti-overdose medication to people around the site about once a month.

On Thursday, he said Public Domain’s staffers try to help people battling addictions and other challenges, but the task can feel overwhelming.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                Public Domain general manager Brenden Gali says heis staffers staffers try to help people battling addictions and other challenges around his Portage Avenue music venue, but the task can feel overwhelming.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Public Domain general manager Brenden Gali says heis staffers staffers try to help people battling addictions and other challenges around his Portage Avenue music venue, but the task can feel overwhelming.

Gali shared his views during the announcement of a new $2.2-million provincial government effort to boost public safety this summer throughout downtown.

“This is a really important first step in supporting a healthier and culturally rich downtown,” he said.

The funding will also provide expanded outreach to help connect people in need with social supports.

“Visible presence is really no. 1,” said Kate Fenske, chief executive officer of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ.

The money could also fund a variety of security upgrades, including cameras, alarm systems, anti-graffiti coatings, security fencing and repairs that follow vandalism or property crime, according to a provincial press release.

Fenske said the money could also help improve lighting and cleanliness downtown.

“All of that has a real impact on perception of safety and how people feel in the neighbourhood,” she said.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS
                                “Visible presence is really no. 1,” said Kate Fenske, chief executive officer of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

“Visible presence is really no. 1,” said Kate Fenske, chief executive officer of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ.

The money will be split among five downtown business organizations:

  • $750,000 for the Downtown Community Safety Partnership,
  • $750,000 for the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ,
  • $300,000 for the West End BIZ,
  • $250,000 for the Exchange District BIZ and
  • $150,000 for the West Broadway BIZ.

Fenske said the Downtown Community Safety Partnership and the Community Safety WAYFINDERS, a partnership among the DCSP, Indigenous-led organizations and community outreach teams, manages to resolve nearly all incidents it responds to without help from emergency services.

When asked about the impact of open drug use on how safe Winnipeggers feel, Premier Wab Kinew said there are many efforts underway to address that concern, citing investments in housing and provincial support for policing.

He noted Winnipeg Police Service announced a major drug bust Wednesday, in which officers seized 525 kilograms of illicit drugs and made more than 30 arrests.

“It’s all part of a cohesive approach to bring people back downtown and let (them) know that it’s safe…. We’re doing recovery, law enforcement, we had the biggest drug bust in Winnipeg yesterday, we’re doing the harm reduction, the supervised consumption site (is) opening next month and then we’ve got prevention, as well,” said Kinew.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS Premier Wab Kinew shakes hands with Exchange patrol workers Thursday's announcement.

MIKAELA MACKENZIE / FREE PRESS

Premier Wab Kinew shakes hands with Exchange patrol workers Thursday's announcement.

The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ will provide $500,000 from its share of the new funding to the Community Safety WAYFINDERS program; the city will provide an additional $100,000.

Winnipeg Mayor Scott Gillingham said that effort is needed.

“It will add (a) visible, Indigenous-led safety presence in high-traffic areas downtown to help de-escalate situations, to build trust and to connect vulnerable people with the support that they really need,” said Gillingham.

Some businesses based in or near the downtown welcomed the announcement.

Susan Lockhart, president of the volunteer-run Just Like New to You thrift store on Portage Avenue next to Public Domain, called the effort a step in the right direction.

“I’m definitely encouraged, I’m an eternal optimist,” she said. “We really want to be able to keep our doors open.”

“I’m definitely encouraged; I’m an eternal optimist.”

She’s struggled with break-ins, vandalism and drug use in front of her shop and installed shatter-proof glass windows and a security gate, though she has also considered moving.

For the last two weeks, Cobra Collectibles owner Michael Paille has taken to the streets himself during the day with naloxone kits, an overdose-reversing medication, and water bottles. He says he’s administered the overdose-reversing drug 11 times.

“This news is 100 per cent welcome,” Paille said. “We need more people walking around.”

With more cash to fund street patrols, he hopes the area will continue to improve, and he can return to working at his Sargent Avenue shop full time.

— With files from Nicole Buffie

joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca

X: @joyanne_pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga

Joyanne Pursaga
Reporter

Joyanne is city hall reporter for the Winnipeg Free Press. A reporter since 2004, she began covering politics exclusively in 2012, writing on city hall and the Manitoba Legislature for the Winnipeg Sun before joining the Free Press in early 2020. Read more about Joyanne.

Every piece of reporting Joyanne produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Preview

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar tariff retaliation, suspends trade talks with U.S.

Catherine Morrison, The Canadian Press 7 minute read Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

OTTAWA - A last-ditch effort to reach a new trade deal before a midnight tariff deadline failed Friday, as Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended talks with the United States and summoned his negotiators back to Ottawa.

The decision meant new 50 per cent tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian exports to the U.S. took effect at 12:01 a.m., and Carney vowed Canada would retaliate with equal measures of its own.

"In recent weeks, we made important progress toward improving Canada's position as having the best deal in the world with the U.S.," Carney said in a statement just before Trump's tariff deadline.

"However, that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians."

Read
Updated: 8:27 AM CDT

Silver linings at Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships

Grace Penner 1 minute read Preview

Silver linings at Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships

Grace Penner 1 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

There were multiple Manitoban bowls players in the 2026 Canadian Lawn Bowling Championships last week.

Sam Forrest placed silver in the U18 boys’ Canadian Youth and Junior Championships in Hanover, Ont., that was held from Aug. 10-14.

And in the North Vancouver, B.C., leg of the championships that was held Aug. 16-23, the 13-year-old competed with his grandfather, John Bjornson, as well as Rod Rose and Wayne Trindall in the men’s fours. Forrest was honoured with the Spirit Award.

Women’s pairs Shirley Fitzpatrick-Wong and her mother Clarice Fitzpatrick won silver falling short to the B.C. duo they faced.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Preview

City inundated with thousands of complaints after launch of new transit system

Morgan Modjeski 11 minute read Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Despite complaints from thousands of dissatisfied users, Winnipeg hasn't hit the brakes on the rollout of its new primary transit network. And it appears that ignoring the public response cost Winnipeg Transit millions of dollars in lost revenue and ridership.

Read
Yesterday at 12:25 PM CDT

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read Preview

Sunshine Fund guarantees a little magic in the summer

Grace Penner 3 minute read 2:01 AM CDT

To this day, I still remember the morning polar plunges into Moose Lake — a cold shock to the system meant to wake campers up before the sun hit its peak.

Read
2:01 AM CDT

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read Preview

The trolls inside the Conservative tent

David McLaughlin 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

The Conservative Party of Canada has a troll problem. And it’s coming from inside the tent.

Once, trolls existed only in imagination. They were figures of mythical proportion, big and small. They lived solitary lives under bridges, in caves, or forests. They were considered dim-witted and mean. Best avoided.

Today, they are real, unavoidable, and ubiquitous on social media. They are anything but solitary. There are tribes of them out there and tribal is how they think and post. As for dim-witted and mean, others can opine but they are uniformly mean and dismissive.

Mean to anyone who disagrees with their views. Dismissive of any view but their own. They distribute questionable, at best, facts and opinions grounded in hostility towards anything or anyone deemed disagreeable or heretical to their world view.

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Preview

Frustration mounts as drug raids sweep problems out of downtown, into West End

Scott Billeck 7 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT

West End business owners say their neighbourhood has been under siege for months, and some believe downtown police drug sweeps have made things worse by pushing more street disorder in their direction — and pushing customers away.

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 6:24 PM CDT