Bombers face season test playing best in the West Elks can clinch first series win over Winnipeg since 2018

The page has officially flipped to the second half of the season, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers find themselves teetering in the CFL’s grey zone, with the scale capable of tipping in either direction.

Read this article for free:


or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Subscribe and receive a limited-edition Free Press branded hat or tote.

Digital Subscription

One year of digital access for only $205*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*First annual payment billed as $205.00 + GST for one year. This annual subscription will automatically renew at $233.00 + GST every 52 weeks (10% off the regular annual price of $259.35). Offer available to new and qualified returning subscribers only. Cancel any time.

To continue reading, please subscribe:

Add Free Press access to your Brandon Sun subscription for only an additional

$1 for the first 4 weeks*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Start now

*Your next Brandon Sun subscription payment will increase by $1.00 and you will be charged $17.95 plus GST for four weeks. After four weeks, your payment will increase to $24.95 plus GST every four weeks.

The page has officially flipped to the second half of the season, and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers find themselves teetering in the CFL’s grey zone, with the scale capable of tipping in either direction.

Sure, the club would be in the playoffs if the regular season ended today, but it’s closer to the bottom of the West Division than it is to the top.

The club’s perpetually optimistic head coach Mike O’Shea said earlier this week that his team is “probably where we need to be.”

Beyond O’Shea, it’s a mixed bag of reviews from coaches and players alike about how they are feeling through nine contests.

“We’re not happy where we’re at. It could be worse, too, on the other side of the coin,” said offensive lineman Patrick Neufeld.

“Haven’t played a full four quarters yet, so trying to find that.”

Are they playing their best ball? They sure hope not. Is there stuff to build on? They’d sure like to think so.

“The record kind of shows it: a lot of good, a lot of bad,” echoed defensive back Evan Holm. “Haven’t played a full four quarters yet, so trying to find that.”

Those feelings are apt for a club with a 5-4 record. They are coming off a not-so-convincing 33-21 victory over the winless Ottawa Redblacks, but it was a win, nonetheless.

Now their attention is on what should be a much more formidable challenge in the West Division-leading Edmonton Elks (7-3), who edged out the Bombers 23-18 at Princess Auto Stadium back in Week 4. With one more game between the two sides after this week, a win for the Elks would mean capturing the season series over the Blue and Gold for the first time since 2018.

If the Bombers want to get out of the middle, they must escape playing like a team that lives there. And perhaps there’s no better test right now than travelling to Commonwealth Stadium to face the Edmonton Elks on Friday (8:30 p.m. CT).

Let’s get you set for kickoff with the latest edition of 5 Storylines.

No designation for Brady

Unlike last week when Brady Oliveira was labelled a game-time decision, the Bombers star running back does not carry an injury designation ahead of Friday’s contest, leaving no doubt about his status while he continues to tend to an ankle injury.

Oliveira did not practise this week, which is actually a slight downgrade from last week when he practised once in limited fashion then sat out the rest of the week. Come game time, however, he looked no worse for wear, toting the rock 11 times for 74 yards and a touchdown, and adding a season-high eight catches for 80 yards through the air.

“You would love to have him better than last week because he was pretty damn good,” O’Shea said about whether he senses Oliveira is making progress in his rehab.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES 

Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Brady Oliveira (centre) had a huge game against the Ottawa Redblacks last week despite being a game-time decision. This week, the running back is riding into Commonwealth Stadium with no injury designation.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Brady Oliveira (centre) had a huge game against the Ottawa Redblacks last week despite being a game-time decision. This week, the running back is riding into Commonwealth Stadium with no injury designation.

With it being unclear how serious Oliveira’s injury is, what remains to be seen is whether managing him throughout the week will be the 29-year-old’s new normal, as he rests long enough to grind through the pain on game day.

“I wouldn’t want to speculate,” O’Shea said. “I don’t think that’s what Brady would want either. Not the speculation, I think Brady would want to practice as much as he could.”

 

Fajardo en fuego

Is this the best stretch of Cody Fajardo’s career?

You would certainly have a valid argument if you thought so.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES 

Edmonton Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo (right) is firmly in the Most Outstanding Player conversation at the halfway mark of the CFL season and is currently on pace for a career-high 5,000-plus passing yards.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Edmonton Elks quarterback Cody Fajardo (right) is firmly in the Most Outstanding Player conversation at the halfway mark of the CFL season and is currently on pace for a career-high 5,000-plus passing yards.

The Elks starting pivot is firmly in the Most Outstanding Player conversation at the halfway mark of the campaign and is on pace for a career-high 5,000-plus passing yards. His 110.8 passer rating ranks fourth among qualified passers, and he’s doing it while being the most efficient deep-ball thrower in the league, completing 57.1 per cent of his passes of 20 yards or further.

“Sure. I imagine the numbers would support that,” said O’Shea. “I mean, he’s good. He’s making good decisions. He’s athletic as ever. He’s making the plays that his team needs him to make. I mean, that’s what you want.”

Fajardo, who is 5-9 all-time against Winnipeg, tossed a clean game that included 267 yards and a touchdown while completing 71 per cent of his passes in Week 4. It seems he’s only gotten better since that meeting, too, currently enjoying a hot streak in which he’s amassed 11 touchdowns to just one interception across his last six outings.

“He’s always had a good, quick release, knows where he wants to go with the ball. So when he knows that, he’s pretty solid. And then you have a run game when it’s going well, he plays really well off of that,” Holm said. “He’s always been good. Especially, he has a really quick release, which is kind of hard as a DB.”

 

Rankin runneth over

When the Bombers last saw the Edmonton Elks in Week 4, Justin Rankin was amid a historic start to the season, and the running back didn’t discriminate against Winnipeg’s defence.

The 29-year-old rumbled for 106 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries on that night, and judging by his previous performances, the Bombers might’ve got off easy.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES 

Edmonton Elks’ Justin Rankin (left) leads the league in explosive plays this season. Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive back Evan Holm (right) emphasized containing Rankin’s run this week as the running back is best at ‘making people miss.’
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Edmonton Elks’ Justin Rankin (left) leads the league in explosive plays this season. Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive back Evan Holm (right) emphasized containing Rankin’s run this week as the running back is best at ‘making people miss.’

While Rankin has cooled in recent weeks — the last time he eclipsed 100 yards rushing was back in Week 6 — he’s still the focal point of the Elks’ offence and capable of exposing a defence both on the ground and through the air.

“Pursue to the football. Never let your defenders have one-on-ones; always just be running, be cautious of where he’s at, whether it’s screen or run,” Holm said. “Just don’t give up on the play because if he has you in open field, that’s what he wants; that’s what he’s best at is making people miss.

Despite no longer putting up historic numbers, Rankin still leads all players with explosive plays. He must be accounted for on every play.

 

Stay upright

These days, it’s a collective holding of the breath every time Zach Collaros gets hit, so keeping his jersey clean has been as important as ever.

That’s something Winnipeg has struggled with this season, allowing 21 sacks, which is the second-most in the league.

Last week, it was four sacks, including a hellacious blindside hit delivered to Collaros. That sequence, as Neufeld described, was simply the perfect pressure dialled up by the Redblacks defence for the protection that Winnipeg was in.

Nevertheless, the Bombers don’t want to see their starting pivot take those types of hits.

JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES 
Quarterback Zach Collaros was sacked four times by the Ottawa Redblacks.
JOHN WOODS / THE CANADIAN PRESS FILES

Quarterback Zach Collaros was sacked four times by the Ottawa Redblacks.

Now they face an Edmonton front that presents plenty of protection challenges for Collaros and the offensive line to decipher. The Elks, called by defensive co-ordinator J.C. Sherritt, are tied for third with 18 sacks this season.

“They’re skilled across the board, and they have a great scheme,” Neufeld said.

“They move a lot on the front, so you can’t just expect them to line up and be in that gap. They’re going to be all over the place. Linebackers feel fast, and they fly around; they’re great athletes out there, and they have great (defensive backs) who cover up in the back end, so they can fold those guys in on pressure, too. They force really well on the run, and they make you play the entire defence.”

 

Buckle up, bumpy terrain ahead

You won’t find anyone on the Bombers looking beyond Friday, but everyone is acutely aware that they are entering a stretch that could very well define the season.

After facing the Elks this week, the Bombers will welcome the league-leading Montreal Alouettes to town. Then comes the annual home-and-home with the reigning champion Saskatchewan Roughriders, who have rolled along just fine again this season.

With the West Division remaining tight, the Blue and Gold can’t afford to go on a slide.

The team needs answers to its problems, and it needs answers now.

 

winnipegfreepress.com/joshuafreysam

Joshua Frey-Sam

Joshua Frey-Sam
Reporter

Josh Frey-Sam reports on sports and business at the Free Press. Josh got his start at the paper in 2022, just weeks after graduating from the Creative Communications program at Red River College. He reports primarily on amateur teams and athletes in sports. Read more about Josh.

Every piece of reporting Josh produces is reviewed by an editing team before it is posted online or published in print — part of the Free Press‘s tradition, since 1872, of producing reliable independent journalism. Read more about Free Press’s history and mandate, and learn how our newsroom operates.

Our newsroom depends on a growing audience of readers to power our journalism. If you are not a paid reader, please consider becoming a subscriber.

Our newsroom depends on its audience of readers to power our journalism. Thank you for your support.

Report Error Submit a Tip

More Stories

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Preview

Demolition ordered after fire in vacant city home

Free Press staff 2 minute read Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

A Winnipeg firefighter was assessed by paramedics and an emergency demolition was ordered after a vacant house caught fire Thursday morning for the second time in less than three months.

The two-storey home, at Argyle Street and Disraeli Freeway, in South Point Douglas, was boarded up following a blaze that occurred June 1.

Firefighters returned to the house after flames were reported shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday. The house was engulfed when crews arrived.

“Due to heavy fire conditions, crews were unable to enter the structure,” a Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service spokesperson wrote in an email to the Free Press.

Read
Yesterday at 11:56 AM CDT

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Preview

Low-income residents of 114-year-old downtown block staggered by proposed rent hikes

Malak Abas 9 minute read Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Marcel Blanchette’s life has not travelled down a smooth road.

In 2014, he was violently assaulted in his home, an unprovoked attack that left him with severe injuries, including permanent brain damage. He underwent months of hospitalization and rehabilitation. During that time, he learned his possessions had been sold off when the Office of The Public Guardian and Trustee took over his affairs.

Twelve years later, he finds himself in another fight. This time, it comes in the form of a proposal from the new owners of the Conway Court apartment block that would nearly double his monthly rent. While he’s been able to live in the Kennedy Street unit with the support of disability income assistance for nearly five years, the sudden spike, he said, could leave him homeless.

“To go through that, and now I’m going through this, it’s another obstacle,” Blanchette told the Free Press. “I fought the Public Guardian and Trustee, and I’ll fight this too, with whatever I have.”

Read
Updated: Yesterday at 11:27 AM CDT

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Preview

Winnipegger just one shot off the lead after opening round at Manitoba Open

Mike McIntyre 6 minute read Yesterday at 9:17 PM CDT

Braxton Kuntz began the week not knowing if he’d even be able to play in the Manitoba Open.

The 22-year-old Winnipegger will head to Elmhurst early Friday morning just one shot off the lead — hanging tough with the heavyweights from PGA Tour Americas — after firing a fantastic five-under 65 Thursday afternoon.

“Playing in front of friends, family, a nice gallery watching out there…to start out like that, I’m putting myself in contention,” said Kuntz.

He didn’t realize just how close he was until the Free Press informed him that only Kentucky’s Drew Doyle, who has already won on tour earlier this season, had posted a better score among the 156-player field. Doyle shot a six-under 64.

Read
Yesterday at 9:17 PM CDT

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read Preview

Today’s horoscope

Georgia Nicols 4 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

MOON ALERT: There are no restrictions to shopping or important decisions today. The moon is in Sagittarius.

ARIES (March 21-April 19)

You want adventure and stimulation — something interesting! You might also make practical plans related to the law, medicine, higher education or publishing. Yet, you feel playful, even though relations with someone close to you might be strained.

TAURUS (April 20-May 20)

Read
2:00 AM CDT

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Preview

Sisters among 137 to begin doctor journey at U of M

Nicole Buffie 4 minute read Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Not everyone enters medical school with a built-in study buddy.

Sisters Maya and Dana Jalal joined 135 of their classmates to don white coats and mark the beginning of their journey through the University of Manitoba’s Max Rady College of Medicine Wednesday morning.

Maya, 22, and Dana, 21, were accepted into medical school at the same time.

“Thankfully, we both got accepted in the same area, same time. So we decided we’d rather go together than apart,” Maya said. “It’ll be nice seeing different perspectives during our studies. We are siblings, but we each have our own perspectives, our own lived experiences.”

Read
Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2026

Global spy games heat back up

Kyle Volpi Hiebert 5 minute read Preview

Global spy games heat back up

Kyle Volpi Hiebert 5 minute read 2:00 AM CDT

In 2013, whistleblower Edward Snowden exposed a massive dragnet of U.S. surveillance programs built to intercept the data and communications of targets worldwide. By comparison, human intelligence work suddenly seemed clumsy and antiquated. Perhaps even unnecessary.

Yet espionage is now making a comeback. Governments are rediscovering the value of covertly undermining rivals and dealing with risks abroad before they pose security threats at home.

Israeli and American forces swiftly decapitated Iran’s leadership in March thanks to Mossad agents penetrating the regime in Tehran and tracking officials’ daily movements beforehand. Russian and Ukrainian operatives have staged at least 150 assassination attempts on each other’s soil since 2022.

North Korean spies are using fake IT credentials and AI-generated profiles to get hired at Fortune 500 companies. The goal: steal trade secrets and divert lucrative tech salaries toward Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program.

Read
2:00 AM CDT