Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/3/2009 (4101 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The fate of Vince Li will be decided at a hearing June 1 before the Manitoba Criminal Code Review Board.
Li was found not criminally responsible last week in the slaying of Tim McLean last summer on a Greyhound bus near Portage la Prairie.
Bev Scharikow, administrator of the review board, said the board members will review the evidence and decide where Li will be sent for treatment.
Li brutally stabbed McLean as he slept on the Greyhound bus, then later decapitated him and cannibalized him.
Court was told last week that Li is a schizophrenic who thought the voice of God told him to kill McLean.
Scharikow said the hearing will be held in a court room at the downtown Law Courts complex on Kennedy Street. The hearing will be open to the public.
Scharikow said Li will appear before a board hearing every year, where it will determine if he needs to remain institutionalized or if he is well enough to be released.
The evidence put before the board for its consideration is expected to include police reports, victim impact statements and psychiatric assessments, which say Li is a risk to himself and others.
Observers believe that the board will conclude Li must be sent to a secure psychiatric facility, either at the Selkirk Mental Health Centre or the forensic services unit at the Health Sciences Centre.
Manitoba’s review board has 81 patients under its jurisdiction. Of those, 16 were accused of murder and one was accused of manslaughter.
The nine members of the board include three lawyers, five psychiatrists and one lay member.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.